• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Vs Speed characters

choako

Smash Rookie
Everytime I for glory against someone who plays a speed based character like Captain Falcon or Sheik, (Mostly CF tbh) I get shut down with every move I try to make. The reads are too real as everywhere I go I get tossed back up. Relying on aura is a lame way to play the game, but it seems to be the only way to get any damage in on these fast lil f*****s

Lucario boards, How do we fight them?

LuckyDuck

Smash Rookie
Everytime I for glory against someone who plays a speed based character like Captain Falcon or Sheik, (Mostly CF tbh) I get shut down with every move I try to make. The reads are too real as everywhere I go I get tossed back up. Relying on aura is a lame way to play the game, but it seems to be the only way to get any damage in on these fast lil f*****s

Lucario boards, How do we fight them?

Patience my brotha...Patience. Opportunities come far and few in between. You must know when to strike and use your defense and logic to make the best of each move you make. Focus on your opponents patterns and counter with fast opponents to throw them off. Fire aura balls frequently to keep your opponents on their toes.

You will take damage because all of Lucario's moves have a long cool down besides up tilt and the two jab combo. Combine those two attacks with a shield grab counter when ever it presents itself. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE to get your reflexes trained.

Lastly when your opponent is at KO percent try to KO with Aura Sphere or a perfectly timed smash.

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
Speed based characters, from my experiences at least, more often than not attempt using their speed advantage to be overly aggressive and sacrifice their defense in turn. Against these kinds of Captain Falcons, Sheiks, Little Macs, Foxes, and Sonics, I've found it's best to to go for a calmer, more defensive playstyle, and keeping Aura Sphere charged. Since they're too busy trying to throw you off with their speed, they likely won't be expecting you to react to calmly and defensively. I once defeated a Captain Falcon like this without getting hit a single time lol =P

When they go for an attack/grab out of dashing, punish with a grab of your own, but be wary of rolling to dodge because they may anticipate this and punish with a grab/dash/smash attack. Try spot dodging out of a run or simply spot dodge in place instead. You can follow up with a couple pummels and then aerials if you throw them down or up. If their percentage is low enough, b-throw them and then fire your charged AS immediately. If they don't tech (which again, in my own personal experiences they don't normally), AS will hit them almost as soon as they hit the ground. Wavebouncing also works well, as it can trick them and they may unintentionally run into your AS charge and if they're close enough to you you can follow up with a jump-canceled u-smash or whatever it's called =P If their damage is just right this will KO them and leave them wondering "what just happened?" =P

If you anticipate them becoming careless, they won't be able to play as well because and become more predictable as they're trying too hard. If you can or feel like risking it, this is a good time to up your aggression =P

Last edited:

choako

Smash Rookie
I guess slow and steady really does win the race in this matchup
thanks guys
Lucario really makes up for his lack of speed with his aura anyway so the match is winnable if you really think and vary between your move choice.
also no one else has dreads.
Lucario is still a G

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
Ive noticed that our ASC takes priority over caps falcon kick, so a well timestimed AS charge renders that move useless on the ground.

Darxai

Smash Cadet
Lucario is a pretty fast character if you think about it. His tilts are what makes him, as i say, fast. Your best option if they spam grabs, is to usually use your d-tilt to start up combos, dash attack for a bit of spacing, and to mostly bait out counters.

My usual strategy is to let them beat the **** out of me while getting some damage in, they let their guard down, then go ham on them because they expect you to be garbage. Lucario at high %s (if you know how to get people to raise you up) makes Bowser look like a feather.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Against Sheiks Diddys and Falcons I use a combination of Lucario's disjointed ranged attacks and tilts. Utilt is amazing as it's probably his fastest grounded move that can get off multiple hits if your aura is low. Dtilt and especially Ftilt are decently strong and have good shield pressure and range. Also remember that Lucario still has a decent air game. His aerials are fast with good range and priority and Uair and Bair are both kill moves.
But other than that yeah, I echo what others have said. Bait and punish. Lucario is probably the best punisher in the game with aura and rage.
REMEMBER: As Lucario, you're the one in control. Calm, cool and collected. you're never actually losing until you're two stocks down. Patiently play defensively and as they're hitting you, watch for their offensive patterns and their 2nd, 3rd and 4th moves of the combos they try to use on you. I also trained myself to pummel when grabbing (I think his pummel is the fastest) and always up throw instead of down throw.

This video can also give you some ideas, even though it was back in the 3DS days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cykqJBqvMg

At about 11 min in he switches to Diddy to try and beat Lucario. Start watching from there.

Top Bottom