• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LTTF Presents: Jashes YoungLink

Jash

Smash Lord
Thanks to a friend of mine, i finally got vids up. you guys can rate me if you want but i just wanna see what you guys think, any opinions can be used so go ahead!

Jash(YL) Vs Game(Samus)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDIdEAN0GU

Jash(YL) Vs Game(Samus)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU6k9HhwOCA

Jash(YL) VS Game(Samus)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JC6GAs5GLw

Jash(YL) Vs Game(Samus)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20WYuQqtbPo

K.D was at his Pops house and 4eyez went to ecuador for christmas so they were not here, more vids coming soon.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Your Y. Link sort of reminds me of mine. Not neccessarily in style, but some of your tactics and mindgames do. Now I'm not going to give you a full-blown review, that's a pros job, but I'll give what I can. All the dairs that you landed seemed to have only connected out of pure luck. Because analyzing all the dairs you performed, whiffed and hit, were both used in the same circumstances. I mean that in all your executions of the dair you tried to force an opportunity, instead of letting one opening itself up. I think almost any dair you performed could have connected, just as easily as it could've been whiffed and vice-versa. I know killing someone w/ the dair is tempting, but you had more safer options to choose from in all those situations where you daired. A simple nair could have sufficed. Although if want to be dairing (bad pun) you could mind game one in. I've noticed that samus likes to jump every time you throw her in any direction. Well what if you threw her, anticipated the jump, and whamm-o.

Amazing I wrote all that on just one move. Well, that's all i have to say. Pretty decent Y. Link by the way.

Jash

Smash Lord
Im glad you said that, because when i post this up, i knew someone was ganna say something my Dair. Let me tell you just like i told everyone else, i know what im doing. You study your opponent until you understand what they are about to do. I knew he was ganna tilt in a direction that he thought i was ganna go, so i went the opposite way and broke through his tilt. In simple words, i will call it Mindgames. Another thing i forgot to mention is, these are warm up rounds, i haven't played in awhile after that day. Ill bring some vids of me playing serious.

Chip.

you know what to do
I only watched the first vid with samus, but from what I saw it looked like you did pretty well. Just a couple of minor flaws though. Your playing style is actually really good Jash, it's just a little edgy and needs to be sharpened, then I could imagine you becoming great. Your wavedash/dashdances were pretty well mastered. You only messed it up like once or twice. But your fighting was weird. You would like shoot your bow at nothing, then you would just use your hookshot in the air for no reason, and then you would do a dash dance. I'm not sure if those were some mistakes or actually mindgames, but it doesn't matter. It looks like you play a solid Young Link and keep on practicing.

I'm going to a tournament tomarrow. If I do well, then I'll post vids up.

Laijin

Smash Hero
From what I saw, your main problem is that your not spamming projectiles enough. Samus has good projectile game, but YL has better projectiles. You should'nt need to go in and attack unless your opponent and suffering from lag in one of his moves or has been stunned by a projetile/ one of your attacks. You will get hit alot less this way and it will certainly help you out against other chracters(mainly Captain Falcon, Fox, etc..) where one combo can easily kill you. Where as your fighting someone like Ganon, where you can be easily killed in 3 hits..you would like to try your best not to get hit.

So pretty much, don't charge in for an attack until they are:
1. Stunned
2. Suffering from lag
3. Are at high % from your projectile spam.

Jash

Smash Lord
I only watched the first vid with samus, but from what I saw it looked like you did pretty well. Just a couple of minor flaws though. Your playing style is actually really good Jash, it's just a little edgy and needs to be sharpened, then I could imagine you becoming great. Your wavedash/dashdances were pretty well mastered. You only messed it up like once or twice. But your fighting was weird. You would like shoot your bow at nothing, then you would just use your hookshot in the air for no reason, and then you would do a dash dance. I'm not sure if those were some mistakes or actually mindgames, but it doesn't matter. It looks like you play a solid Young Link and keep on practicing.

I'm going to a tournament tomarrow. If I do well, then I'll post vids up.
Lol, this is why you shouldnt watch only one video. The hookshot coming out was a simple turn of rustiness, i havent played in like 3 weeks so i had to get back at it since that was my first match that day. Me shooting the arrow at nothing...ALWAYS work. thats a simple mindgame...shouldnt be too hard to figure out. Thanks for compliments on my Young Link Chip. Im lookin foward for your match vids.

Oh and Lajin. I respect you and your Young Links skill and ability. Thanks for commenting but spamming is not my thing. Looking forward for your recent vids!

Edit: Oh and if you wanna rate a Video, dont rate the first one. That was a warm up after 3 weeks so theres so many mistakes. Thanks for watching!

Laijin

Smash Hero
Oh and Lajin. I respect you and your Young Links skill and ability. Thanks for commenting but spamming is not my thing. Looking forward for your recent vids!

If you don't spam with Young Link, your gonna have alot of trouble fighting some people and characters( Peach, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, etc).
Example: With Peach, if you get in too close she will simple just D smash you..and Young Link does'nt take damage so easily. With Captain Falcon, if you try to attack..its like an instant combo. Ganon..you don't even wanna get close to this dude. Any good Ganon can kill you in 3 hits, like I said before.

Of course, fighting these characters are only hard depending on the people that are playing them. I can beat any Peach without having to spam at all and 4 stock them..but a Peach like Mike G's is going to easily take me if I don't spam. Marth is another character thats really easily fight against if the person playing him is'nt at least god-like. He is very easy to combo kill with Young Link..but when I fight some one like Azen, I can't even get close to his Marth without spamming.
So you see, because Young Link lacks knockback in majority of his moves until higher percent, it becomes extremly easy for your opponent to counter attack you right after you hit them.

I'll try and see if I can record some vids at my next tourney. I really do need some recent videos >__>

Jash

Smash Lord
If you don't spam with Young Link, your gonna have alot of trouble fighting some people and characters( Peach, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, etc).
Example: With Peach, if you get in too close she will simple just D smash you..and Young Link does'nt take damage so easily. With Captain Falcon, if you try to attack..its like an instant combo. Ganon..you don't even wanna get close to this dude. Any good Ganon can kill you in 3 hits, like I said before.

Of course, fighting these characters are only hard depending on the people that are playing them. I can beat any Peach without having to spam at all and 4 stock them..but a Peach like Mike G's is going to easily take me if I don't spam. Marth is another character thats really easily fight against if the person playing him is'nt at least god-like. He is very easy to combo kill with Young Link..but when I fight some one like Azen, I can't even get close to his Marth without spamming.
So you see, because Young Link lacks knockback in majority of his moves until higher percent, it becomes extremly easy for your opponent to counter attack you right after you hit them.

I'll try and see if I can record some vids at my next tourney. I really do need some recent videos >__>
I understand Lajin, Believe me i understand. But there is an easier way to beat Marth and Capt and even Ganon without the spamming. Once people see the spam game its over for you and you dont want that. People like Azen and Mike G will see right through those spam games and you will be wide open for an attack. Even more worse if they master catching the bomb and Power shield which i know they are working on. Then you find out you have to do a new strategy that you never practiced and your screwed. You never want to reach your limit, you wanna fight until your enemy is taken down no matter what. So i don't care much about spamming projectiles. Its better to use them Randomly then use them all the time.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I understand Lajin, Believe me i understand. But there is an easier way to beat Marth and Capt and even Ganon without the spamming. Once people see the spam game its over for you and you dont want that. People like Azen and Mike G will see right through those spam games and you will be wide open for an attack. Even more worse if they master catching the bomb and Power shield which i know they are working on. Then you find out you have to do a new strategy that you never practiced and your screwed. You never want to reach your limit, you wanna fight until your enemy is taken down no matter what. So i don't care much about spamming projectiles. Its better to use them Randomly then use them all the time.
Mike G occasionally catches my bomb and uses it against me, but its really hard to go close combat with him due to Young Link's lack of stun and knockback moves. You should understand this once you've played people at that level.

Jash

Smash Lord
Mike G occasionally catches my bomb and uses it against me, but its really hard to go close combat with him due to Young Link's lack of stun and knockback moves. You should understand this once you've played people at that level.
Ok ill keep it in mind thank you lajin. Also good luck in your tourney, take the gold!

Edit: New Vids Up! These are way better then the last ones. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Mz1dzvQKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rtn34ZVais

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMo8NQS55rY

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
I agree with what you say very much Laijin. You spam a fair amount, but it's not effective enough I think Jash. Try to throw out more projectiles just to cover more ground. Comboing is nice, but I try and keep it to only combos that I am almost 100% positive will land these days just because of how dangerous it really is to do that as Young Link. The "spam" game you refer to, does indeed exist, and can be fought against once realized. That's why you need to know when to switch up constantly, from spamming to approach, this should be clear to any truly great spammer. Spamming should not force you into an entirely defensive game.

Anyways, you're doing good so far, I'd like to see other opponents, most notably those whom don't play Samus or Peach. And I'll be interested in seeing your new vids too Laijin. If you have amazing competition like it sounds, you may be building incredible skills. I myself have a great crew to train with, but we don't have Azen or anything o__o

Jash

Smash Lord
Thank You Hero for at least having the decency to comment on my vids and trying to help me out. Each Young Link has their own unique style on which they Win or they Lose and wish to get better. But me, i just don't spam like you guys do. And if i have to then i will learn the hard way, but for now im sticking to the style i chose.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think Samus and YL are very close to even in the projectile spam battle. A Samus that double and triple missle cancels is a nightmare. If you happen to get a good Samus on Final D... well, you lose.

Anyhow, about your vids... I liked them. I think I can pick up lots of new ideas from them. You play YL very differently than I do. I'll have to get some vids up one of these days.

Thanks for sharing.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
It's not that I think it's good to start out as a projectile fiend, you got the comboing and aggressive stuff down it seems. I think projectile spam is a necessarily tool for top y link players.

Chip.

you know what to do
It's not that I think it's good to start out as a projectile fiend, you got the comboing and aggressive stuff down it seems. I think projectile spam is a necessarily tool for top y link players.

I totally agree. Any great Young Link needs to know where and when to spam. Mix it all in with great comboing and smart fighting. If you don't, you'll be very sorry in the future.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'd like to see how you fare against a player that doesn't keep trying to do fancy stuff. You pulled off alot of stuff in those matches that a controlled player wouldn't have let you get away with, like those downthrow combos against Samus on Corneria. Also, that Samus' recovery had really no mixup and didn't know how to bomb recover against projectile spam. Also, he didn't know how to edgehog apparently.

Your mindgames are medium/good, pretty standard stuff for Link and Y. Link players, and your combos are good, but it's easy to be aggressive like that against Samus because she has no shield grab, and Up-B is ineffective against well-spaced attacks with Y.L.

Jash

Smash Lord
I totally agree. Any great Young Link needs to know where and when to spam. Mix it all in with great comboing and smart fighting. If you don't, you'll be very sorry in the future.
Its called "Random Playing" which is what im doing in the vids. You have to do different things in each match when using young link, or else ur in trouble. You guys might think im some noob and dont know what im talking about but it works.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
You need to move a lot faster and use less laggy attacks.
I didn't see you jab him out of anything and you could have been a LOT more aggressive edgeguarding.

Also, don't miss any more l-cancels. =P
Keep up the practice.

Jash

Smash Lord
You need to move a lot faster and use less laggy attacks.
I didn't see you jab him out of anything and you could have been a LOT more aggressive edgeguarding.

Also, don't miss any more l-cancels. =P
Keep up the practice.
HAHA, was it MY young link you were watching? Or did you just see the first video like Chip did? My speed? People say that my Young Link is confusing because he moves so fast. Aggressive is my middle name but you cant do it too much. People start seeing it and they will Shield Grab like a *****. Maybe you should watch battle #20 and up, They show my skill much more. Thanks for the comments. Anymore?

Top Bottom