• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LSU Monthly #2

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I've ever been to a tourney where people used their names to sign in to the bracket. I kept saying my name was Iceman and folks were acting like I was a jackass. Like some kind of Twilight Zone episode or something. Glad to see my name on a results list again though.

Sudai

Stuff here
Iceman, you play for much longer and you're gonna have to start entering as "Icegrandpa" while these kids runs around entering as **** like "John Harrington Smithsonshireworths the 5th."

Zurangatang

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zurangatang
I don't know if I've ever been to a tourney where people used their names to sign in to the bracket. I kept saying my name was Iceman and folks were acting like I was a *******. Like some kind of Twilight Zone episode or something. Glad to see my name on a results list again though.
New people, like me, don't know what were doing.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
1. Iceman was there?! the ***?

2. I have a great idea that would work at every tournament if enough setups are there (which would only require like 3 extra). We should have a designated section for friendlies (like 3 setups or so) with a sign that says friendlies only on the wall or something. All other TVs will be for tournament and you will get auto-DQd if you're playing friendlies on those. I understand Taylor's logic behind getting tournaments ran as fast/efficiently as possible (god knows I've been cursed out a few times by him for playing friendlies lawl), but there are a couple of things we should take into account here:

- This wasn't for money and thus wasn't a "serious" tournament, if anything it was like a giant friendly event
- This LSU group feels more like a hangout smashfest, kind of laid back for people to just get a lot of experience and a bunch of fun games, so of course it won't be ran as hardcore as a regional $10 event. It's just a bunch of friends/new players trying to learn the game.
- The TO's are fairly new if I'm not mistaken
- This was a 4 game tournament.

I'm sure as these events become more common and have monetary incentive, the tournaments will be ran more professionally and timely. Melee was still run pretty fast tho.

Last edited:

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
1. Iceman was there?! the ***?

2. I have a great idea that would work at every tournament if enough setups are there (which would only require like 3 extra). We should have a designated section for friendlies (like 3 setups or so) with a sign that says friendlies only on the wall or something. All other TVs will be for tournament and you will get auto-DQd if you're playing friendlies on those. I understand Taylor's logic behind getting tournaments ran as fast/efficiently as possible (god knows I've been cursed out a few times by him for playing friendlies lawl), but there are a couple of things we should take into account here:

- This wasn't for money and thus wasn't a "serious" tournament, if anything it was like a giant friendly event
- This LSU group feels more like a hangout smashfest, kind of laid back for people to just get a lot of experience and a bunch of fun games, so of course it won't be ran as hardcore as a regional $10 event. It's just a bunch of friends/new players trying to learn the game.
- The TO's are fairly new if I'm not mistaken
- This was a 4 game tournament.

I'm sure as these events become more common and have monetary incentive, the tournaments will be ran more professionally and timely. Melee was still run pretty fast tho.
^^^
Thanks for the feedback pops. Yea we are pretty new to TOing and have never ran a tournament this large scale, this was definitely a good learning experience for not only me and my fellow TO Matthew but for a lot of people who participated in their first ever tournament. We're going to have a meeting soon to discuss the tournament and anything we can do to have it run better in the future.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I left before P:M and Melee, so I won't comment on those two, but the first two tournies looked to be run pretty well. 40 people, 8 TVs, it looked awesome. 2 things if you're looking for feedback (if not, ignore it, I'm not that important). First, there needs to be a precedent set for the dickholes leaving to eat for 20 min. I mean, don't DQ them immediately to prove a point but holding up a tourney for a few individuals is starting a dangerous trend.
Second, I agree to some extent with Taylor. People were playing friendlies on the bigger TVs in the middle of the tourney. Worse, when they were told to quit the match, they just gave this disinterested look and went back to playing, actively ignoring the request. **** those guys too. Good thing that was a dry event or I would've started throwing elbows.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
bad TO who plays friendlies over running tournament matches. then you let the people who should be playing their tournament match go get food for 20 mins. this is why i left. and youre a ***** if you stand on your chair and stunt about winning but dont give me a run back. i am a very busy man and i dont have time to wait 20 mins in between every game to **** noobs. my time is worth more than that. either have it for money, or run the tournament smooth as glass with very little down time. ggs noobs. 4 stock mm up to $100 any time you want it diego.
Lol. Somebody's upset

Top Bottom