• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Tier Matchups Thread

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, down tilt is fairly safe for edgeguarding. I look at it like this.

If you connect, then hoorah, you got a down tilt off! He'll most likely still make it back, but hoorah anyway!

If you miss, what's he gonna do? Getup attack? He can do the teleport trick on Battlefield, but that's all it is--a trick. Mewtwo's DJC is too slow from the ledge to hurt a missed down tilt.

So it's a win-win...or, rather, a win-not.a.loss situation.

D

Deleted member

:yoshi: Well, down tilt is fairly safe for edgeguarding. I look at it like this.

If you connect, then hoorah, you got a down tilt off! He'll most likely still make it back, but hoorah anyway!

If you miss, what's he gonna do? Getup attack? He can do the teleport trick on Battlefield, but that's all it is--a trick. Mewtwo's DJC is too slow from the ledge to hurt a missed down tilt.

So it's a win-win...or, rather, a win-not.a.loss situation.
Well put :yoshi: Still, we should sticky this and rename it: Yoshi matchups thread, so we could stop all the other topics, or maybe add them here.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There is actually a matchups thread that links to all the individual character threads.

It also has techniques, lists, and all other sorts of cool stuff. It's probably on page two or three by now.

D

Deleted member

:yoshi: There is actually a matchups thread that links to all the individual character threads.

It also has techniques, lists, and all other sorts of cool stuff. It's probably on page two or three by now.
We should sticky it, or have a link to it in this thread. Just to make the info more accesible. Well im off to work on my boozer skills (cuz boozer is awesome), and my ECE.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Garr... ok, game and Watch.

Couple of things you need to know. First of all, the key hits twice, once in the air and once on the ground, so just be patient there if you shield it. Second of all, lightshield is pretty good in this matchup if you have to shield, it's a little easier for Yoshi if you can start out with some distance. Third, countering the manhole, well it's like trying to counter Yoshi's dtilt lol, you really just have to jump over it and SHFFL a sex kick or be all predicty and land a forward air on his head.

Anyway Game and Watch with good spacing/prediction is just hard to get in on. Avoid taking damage, obviously, so you can get in some DjCCs, which I think are pretty key in this matchup (lol key) to throwing the G+W off. If he thinks his aerials are no good, then what can he do?

At low %s, you can crouch the f-air, but not the downair, due to the ground hit and the manhole.

Otherwise I guess work on your pressure game. Things like DjC nair to Ftilt work great because of Game and Watch's crappy shield.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mewtwo can do the forward B anti-edgeguard on Yoshi on any stage. Battlefield it owns on, but other stages force Yoshi to grab the edge. Tell me then that you're going to risk an edge egg/edge drop -> DJC n-air while off the stage.

Btw, DJC n-air off the ledge makes you feel really pro.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo can do the forward B anti-edgeguard on Yoshi on any stage. Battlefield it owns on, but other stages force Yoshi to grab the edge. Tell me then that you're going to risk an edge egg/edge drop -> DJC n-air while off the stage.

Btw, DJC n-air off the ledge makes you feel really pro.
DJC nair of ledge...doesnt that mean u die? Ive gotten some more mewtwo experience so... Watch out for the fair, it is one of mewtwos best moves, and SHed fair quite dangerous. Also, dtilt and ftilt are both very good, and dtilt sets u up for fair juggles. U beat most of mewtwos attacks in priority, so abuse your high priority attacks. Also, i recomend not jumping out to edgeguard mewtwo (but u may disagree), because he can sideb u to screw u up, or just teleport to make u miss. Mewtwo is light! Really light, like really fun to fsmash at like 75% and watch him die. Also, he is slow, so

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'd like to add that it's important with Mewtwo especially, who relies on baiting characters and grabbing them, to not be predictable. Mix up your styles from stock to stock, focus on doing things different ways and keeping reasonably safe, and the M2 player won't be able to be nearly as aggressive. Keeps you sharp as well.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I got some roy experience earlier. That staying the air above thing worked like a charm that bringer was talking about. Only problem is that you have to be careful with your double jumb cancels. Luckily my opponent didn't use that move ever, so I didn't have to worry about it. Like 90% of my attacks that hit were double jumb cancelled.

ERK111

Smash Cadet
I'm going to record a bunch of videos of my Yoshi tonight against Sethlon and a few others tonight and upload them all to this room. Just to enlighten you guys with superior Yoshi playing :p You know, just in case some of you guys have wondered how good Yoshi can possibly be :):):)

- Velox

Edit*** Oh, and why hasn't that troll up there been banned? *points to post 49* Honestly, what an influx of noobs recently.

D

Deleted member

Two things: 1. I MUST SEE VELOX vs SETHLON. Honetly, plus hugglebunny needs to see how a roy handles a yoshi.
2.I know this is lame, but anyoen wanna give me advice for yoshi dittos. I know what yoshi can do, i just...dont know how to counter other Yoshi :087:

ERK111

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, Sethlon had just got back from a tournament and couldn't play that day, so me and G@BE recorded. I played Yoshi like... once... suicided a few times, got tired and unenthusiastic about playing a hard character, and started playing my thoroughly amazing, yet never-before-seen Roy, which is I think, more amazing than Sethlon's, albeit not as good.

Plus the 1 game where I played Yoshi was when I was trying out my completely new, and believe me, never before seen "method" of Yoshi play. I still am nowhere near good enough to do it apparently, it caused me to SD lots, but... eventually it will be amazing. It's way too good. Therefore, I'm waiting till I get it down before I tape it and show it.

Plus if I didn't think Halo was more important than smash, then I'd have already gotten those videos up that we did do (a Roy ditto, Marth ditto, and some me Marth vs. G@BE Captain Falcon). The Yoshi video will be locked in a vault until I get this down. In the meantime though...

Here is an old video of me now a half year ago. It's alright :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi9WvwTKtMU

That match was back when I was a noob though and didn't realize that you should never use down + 'B' as a ledge grab from up above. And it has nothing to do with the "illusion" at the end of the video, it's just that you should never do it even if you know you are going to grab the ledge. I realized it when I saw Fumi just fast falling to the edge and not using the super quick down + 'B'. If you can't figure out why then... ...think about it harder. Also I didn't realize how valuable in that same situation (recovering high) the > B egg roll can be to change momentum and then drive to safety.

bigman40

Smash Master
Two things: 1. I MUST SEE VELOX vs SETHLON. Honetly, plus hugglebunny needs to see how a roy handles a yoshi.
2.I know this is lame, but anyoen wanna give me advice for yoshi dittos. I know what yoshi can do, i just...dont know how to counter other Yoshi :087:
Loool yeah. I got someone who plays a good yoshi, and sometimes he pulls a move on me that i'm not used to seeing. Maybe my reaction time was slow that day, but any hints on this match up?

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
2.I know this is lame, but anyoen wanna give me advice for yoshi dittos. I know what yoshi can do, i just...dont know how to counter other Yoshi
I regularly play other Yoshis (there are 6 in my area IIRC, D.J.Cat, KingKong [haven't played him, yet], Azure_Rune, me and two outsiders).

In all honesty most Yoshi's will have a different play-style, so you may have to learn your opponent as you play.

EGE is dangerous because of Yoshi's Instant Edge Guard and WD to Dtilt (something I regularly do to DJ.Cat, lol).
Dtilt can also kill a DJC if it is timed right at a reasonable distance from the edge (or on a platform).

If the opponent is good with eggs you may consider the forbidden move (side B) while recovering while you opponent throws an egg, as it will change your physics enough to dodge the egg (falling speed, a slight pop-up and change in horizontal movement) and can get you on to ground before the next.

D

Deleted member

Does Yoshi's dtilt break Yoshi's DJ? If so, at what percents.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Too good, in my opinion.

Yoshi dittos in the U S of A consist of three vital steps.

1] Up tilt into DJC wreckage whenever possible.

2] Punish excessive rolling and predictable techs with downsmash.

3] Forward air whenever the opponent is off the stage. Always. No exceptions.

By following these simple steps, I graduated from Yoshi ditto scrub into Yoshi ditto whateverlevelisslightlyabovescrub. The dittos are fun once you know how to play them--just not when you suck at the match like I used to.

Top Bottom