• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low tier against high tier characters.

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
It has occurred to me using low tier characters against Higher tier characters helps your game. Almost to give you mindgames. Is this so or just something that I think or does work for you.

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...Really I have seen it work for a couple people I'm guessing its in my mind.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
playing a low tier against a high tier usually means you are playing from a disadvantage, like giving yourself a handicap. this forces you to play better in order to win.
usually, one puts more effort into thinking and improving when things dont come as is to them.
an example from self experience: with better chars i can get away with some mistakes, and get kills without much thought into them, but when i play a worse char that i want to get better with i get punished hard if i make some mistakes and must put effort into getting those kills, etc...

A-Laon

Smash Master
I'll actually agree with this. When you remove the advantages the better characters offer, you're required to play with far fewer options and less room for error, forcing you to be far more cautious and calculating to win.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well I main Game & Watch and I do well against all the top and high tiers. I don't think a character's spot on the tier list really affects the matchup. It's just that lower tiered characters have a few more disadvantages.

King Leonidas

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's true. Lower tier characters sometimes don't have nearly as many tech advantages, so they must rely moreso on mind games, which will then make mind games easier for you.

IMO anyway, also some pros I've talked to think so as well.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
This has worked for me. I use everyone but I tried to defeated my toughest opponents with Mewtwo for fun and now I feel like I understand the enemy better. I think it helps some people...

pdk

Smash Lord
lows tiers are low tier in fighters usually because they lack a varied approach in most situations, a prime example of this is zelda's endless fair/bairing

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
So this Allows for more defensive play which also may develop mind games...also to become more unpredictable.

pdk

Smash Lord
depends, the "when" for coming out of your shell and attacking may vary but that's not helping a lot if your choices for the "how" (i.e. what attack you're coming out with) are limited

basically, when's the last time you've seen bowsers approach with something other than fair/up+b?

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
True...But it may blow someone off there game if he was to do another attack causing for a more powerful attack.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
playing a low tier against a high tier usually means you are playing from a disadvantage, like giving yourself a handicap. this forces you to play better in order to win.
usually, one puts more effort into thinking and improving when things dont come as is to them.
an example from self experience: with better chars i can get away with some mistakes, and get kills without much thought into them, but when i play a worse char that i want to get better with i get punished hard if i make some mistakes and must put effort into getting those kills, etc...
i find this true in my perspective.

playing with a low tier char will kind of make u try a bit harder than if ur playing high tiers. for some people, a low tier char is way theyre most comfortable with and they do excellent. but others have to put more effort into creating openings and etc.

Metà

Smash Master
I'll actually agree with this. When you remove the advantages the better characters offer, you're required to play with far fewer options and less room for error, forcing you to be far more cautious and calculating to win.
I don't know about you, but I'm always cautious and calculating when I play (or at least always in tournament/money matches), even when I use high tier characters, which all my mains/tertiaries happen to be. You should always be thinking and strategizing while playing, not just when you're at a disadvantage. If you think you can sit back and relax while playing a high tier character just because you think you have an advantage, you won't be winning any tournaments. Sure, you can say that some characters can rely more on tech skill (Fox/Falco), and that some require more mindgames (Sheik, because of how few crazy techs there are to learn), but really you should have good mindgames and strategies regardless of how good your character is. Rather than picking up a low tier character just to put yourself at an advantage, I think it's better to just work with the character you are more confident with, whether they're top tier or bottom tier. That way you can get the tech skill down to an art and put all your energy into strategizing.

Sefe

Smash Apprentice
Being cautious plays a large part for some people but you have to always have a agressive offensive side. If not bein always cautious may cause for a wrong move I mean there is always room for something bad to happen no matter what. Its not all defensive or offensive I think alot of people don't realize that.

Eggm

Smash Hero
After seeing dires sucess with G&w krazykirbykid's sucess w/ kirby my sucess with yoshi kings sucess with jigglypuff (i know hes mid tier but omg) and taj's sucess w/ m2 (3 stocking chu in tourny @ a ken biwekly) Bum's sucess w/ DK (beaitng forward and countless other pros with DK) I'm throughly convinced .. tier really doesn't meant that much, unless played at a inhuman level with fox.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Eggm, all those people you mentioned most likely had to put a lot of thought into their playing and precision in order to achieve those victories. The biggest disadvantages of low tiers are that they're limited on approaches (opening moves) and they're punished either easier or more harshly (sometimes both) for their mistakes.

You can see Marths get away with missed f-smashes but I doubt the same applies for Bowser.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Eggm, all those people you mentioned most likely had to put a lot of thought into their playing and precision in order to achieve those victories. The biggest disadvantages of low tiers are that they're limited on approaches (opening moves) and they're punished either easier or more harshly (sometimes both) for their mistakes.

You can see Marths get away with missed f-smashes but I doubt the same applies for Bowser.
OH GOD DON'T EVEN USE THE F-SMASH WITH BOOZER haha

unless your gojira...

But yea seriously when playing boozer if i miss an l-cancel thats almost a guaranteed combo/stock.. if sheik misses one play resumes

Top Bottom