• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing to players worse than me lately

Bearded_Bryce

Smash Rookie
I seem to be in some sort of funk lately. My training partner has been destroying me lately with falco, and the last tournament I was in, I was put out by a puff player who mainly plays Smash 4. Does anyone else have this problem from time to time? Should I take a break?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
There are always reasons that you're losing (including the opponent just being better than you); you need to explore them to improve. What were the sets like? What did you notice in particular? What things were you often getting caught by? What things were you often struggling to get to work? Were you confident/comfortable in your gameplan? What was your mindset like? Why were your answers to each of those questions what they were?

Last edited:

DreadPirateRoberts

Smash Rookie
One particular way that you can improve is breaking habits. No matter what level of play you have, there are certain habits in certain situations that you will repeat every single time. Understanding your habits can help improve your gameplay. Also, on top of that answer some questions: Am I spacing well? Am I hitting all of my tech skill (L-cancel, wavelands, wavedashes, OoS options, etc)? Why did he get a kill there? What could I have done different in that edgeguard, neutral game?

Look for your opponents habits. I guarantee you that they have some. Most people use the same recover option or say option to get back on stage from the edge. See how they pressure your shield... do they pressure your shield? These are just some questions to ask after losing a match or during a match. Take time between your stocks.

Overall, make sure your tech skill isn't the problem of your losses because with practice that shouldn't be a reason you should be losing if you dedicate some time each day to it. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom