• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing the Air Dodge

Aeayx

Smash Rookie
(I used the search function to find something on this, apologies if it has been discussed)

I've been running into this issue while getting used to Brawls air dodge mechanic. I keep dodging right before I hit the ground. However, once I hit the ground, it cancels my dodge and I get hit anyway. Am I missing something, or do I just have to be more careful when I'm out of my first two jumps, and am playing a character who's 3rd jump does not attack (for example, Lucario).

usea

Smash Ace
What's the problem exactly? When you hit the ground, you're not invincible anymore. Even when your aid dodge wasn't finished yet. You can't air dodge anymore because you're not in the air anymore.

Pabs

Smash Cadet
Air dodges let you dodge in the air. Sidestep dodges are for the ground. If anything just do a sidestep dodge right when you land, if someone can capitalize on you in that small time frame then they deserve to land a hit lol.

CorruptoR

Smash Rookie
It's because in Melee when you air dodged you stayed suspended in the air for the duration of the dodge. In Brawl, when you dodge you keep falling so you will fall while dodging and since you use it right before you hit the ground you pretty much cancel it as soon as you hit the ground.

I supose what you would want to do is air dodge earlier to let time for your dodge to finish before you hit the ground.

Aeayx

Smash Rookie
It's because in Melee when you air dodged you stayed suspended in the air for the duration of the dodge. In Brawl, when you dodge you keep falling so you will fall while dodging and since you use it right before you hit the ground you pretty much cancel it as soon as you hit the ground.
That's it exactly. I try to dodge an attack right before I hit the ground. As the attack is coming, I hit the ground and cancel my own dodge. I'm just looking for a way to avoid this. It seems to me that no matter what you do, you are vulnerable right before you hit the ground. Is there some sort of way to instantly roll and/or shield so you don't have that window of vulnerability?

Top Bottom