• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing my faith in the Monado

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesemonk66

Smash Rookie
I really love playing as Shulk. He is versatile and I think he has great potential. However, I am feeling like I've hit a wall with him. My roommate who plays exclusively ZSS always catches me in juggles that I can't get out of. Approaching aerially is difficult since she can defend with up smash or up tilt. If i throw out a bair i usually get punished with a dash attack that leads to another juggle combo. These fights make me wonder if Shulk has a skill cap that can't be overcome. Will he always be vulnerable to these combos?

I'm wondering if I should bail for someone who has faster/safer aerials and is considered better at this time or should I stick with it and hope for some new advanced technique. I'm just looking for thoughts on this not necessarily MU specific tips just about Shulk having a cap on potential.

D

Deleted member

Shulk struggles against characters like Zero Suit Samus; it's inevitable that he will be combo meat in this battle and it's one of his worst match-ups.

However, I wouldn't let this discourage you from playing as Shulk. Sure, it's a bad-matchup, but every character has them. If I were you, I would use a different character against Zero Suit Samus, one that can easily handle her and her speed and combos.
As for Shulk, I say still go with him if you are good with him. If you truly feel that he is not your kind of character, then I say drop him and main someone else.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Keep your distance. Use your range effectively and she won't be able to up-attack you as much.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Shulk absolutely struggles being in juggles (and being above someone in general if there's no platform to protect him).

Since you say you can't approach her with aerials I suggest making use of Shulk's Forward Tilt and Down Tilt as they give out nice disjointed hitboxes that hit quite a distance in front of him (I myself prefer Down Tilt because I can lead into a grab or Fair if at the right %).

Finally for advanced technique we have the Monado Art Landing Lag Cancel (MALLC). Basically if you turn on one of the Monado Arts and time their activation right as you land with either an aerial or an airdodge, you will be able to cancel all landing lag and act with anything while you're invincible from attacks.

This is a great thread to check it out as well as other advanced techs.

I wish you the best of luck in continuing to study the Monado's Power and hopefully you'll choose the path that's best for you.

Please don't post threads like these. You're better off posting them at the FAQ or the Social. Well, post your doubts in the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom