• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Loop Hell (Please help)

4Leaf

Smash Rookie
I have the dumbest problem.

I can't get my files to loop properly... I take my MP3... I open it in my music editing program... I select the loop points... I render as an MP3... I open the MP3 with Dantarion's tool... and convert a brstm file. When the file plays back... It has no god**** loop points.

Been at this for hours and have been reading on how to remedy this problem. I have no idea... I guess people didn't assume there would be someone dumb enough to run into this problem. BUT THERE IS!

I am using Sony Acid as my music editing software.

Dantarion's tool to render into .brstm files.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows how to remedy my problem, but using a different piece of software THEN please share.

I just want some god**** loop points that work.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
you can't just set loop points, you have to delete the parts of the file you don't want to be part of the loop

idk about sony acid but in audacity you just make a selection and press ctrl+k

KenHitokiri

Smash Rookie
Here's the tutorial I wrote for my friends. It's really simple I hope. Need any clarification, PM meh.

Ken's Music Replacement Guide

SO! If you're gonna do some music replacin', Here's what you'll need.

1. Audacity. Stable version or Beta version, either works.
2. A list of the songs in Brawl. Oh, well what do you know? There's one in this pack.
3. A song you want to use.
4. A bit of Audacity knowhow. It's easy to learn, and you don't need to know that much.
And last,
5. Androu1's Tool, which I so kindly included. Unzip it, all the files should be in their own folder.

Now, some simple steps.

1. Choose that song you want. You gotta be able to put it into Audacity. OGG Vorbis files, WAV files, and MP3 files can go in, as well as a few others. WMA cannot. You gotta convert those suckas.

2. Import into Audacity. Give it a few listens. Unless you're not altering the song, you may want to make it loop, like it does in the games. This is really the hardest part of the whole thing; you can either:

---a. Make it loop from beginning to end, and then wrap around, or;

---b. Do that fancy thing where the beginning starts out one way, but it never includes the beginning when it loops. (Check my Onett Town music in Onett to see how that works in action.)

If you're doing the A step, you don't need to worry about much. Just make it loop (or don't make it loop if you don't care about looping) and give it a listen to make sure you're good with it. What I do when I check to see if a song loops is I copy the whole thing, then paste it to the end, and see if the end of the song flows well into the beginning.

Now, if you're doing the B step, you gotta pay attention. Now, at the point you want the song to skip over the beginning of the song (that is, the point where it will actually be starting from in the loop), you need to note it's position. You do this by going to "View > Set Selection Format > samples (snap to samples)". At the bottom of the page, you should see things like "Project Rate" and "Cursor". Where it says cursor, there will be a number, "X samples [Snap-To Samples]" Note this number, and test if it loops like you would if there were no beginning part to the song. Once you got your samples number, you're good to go. Write it down, btw. You will need it.

3. Well, most songs are in Stereo. If your song is in Mono, you lucked out a bit, but really, Stereo sounds better for most things. Anywho, here's what you do.

If Mono:
I. Export as WAV, and name it in ONE word.
"Green Hill Zone" = BAD
"GreenHillZone" = GOOD
"Hill" = BEST (KISS, man, KISS.)

II. Drop the WAV into the "Androu's tool" folder.

If Stereo:
I. Stereo's slightly harder on the Audacity newbies. But after the first try, it shoudl be all good. First, you have to split the tracks. You go to the arrow on the track, where it says the name of the track. That's where all the nifty buttons are, like the "Mute" button and the "Solo" button. It's where the X for the track is. Don't press the X though...though if you mess up, there's always CTRL+Z, amirite?

II. Once you split the tracks, you'll have a left track, and a right track. You gotta make both tracks mono. How do I make mono? Easy. Click the arrows that you used in the last step! Select Mono. Done deal. Do this for both tracks.

III. You have to export both tracks separately. You can either select them separately (that is, make sure you're only selecting all of one track rather than both) and go to "File > Export Selection as WAV" or you can do what I do: Close one, Export as wav, Undo, close the other, export as wav. When you export the left track, name it one word + L. When you export the right track, name it one word + R.

"Green Hill Zone Left" = BAD
"GreenHillZone L" = BAD
"HillL" = BEST.

So that's "Name"L.wav or "Name"R.wav.

IV. Drop both WAV files into the "Androu's tool" folder.

5. Now, this part is pretty easy. Double click Start, and follow the steps. A for Mono, B for Stereo, C for nonlooping Mono (Victory Themes), and D for nonlooping Stereo (Victory Themes).

When it asks for the WAV without extention, give it the name without L or R as well. When the text file EditTXT opens, close it. (You may need to right click and associate it with Notepad if it doesn't open the first time.)

When it asks for a starting point (where it says put 0 if you don't care), put 0...if you don't care. BUT! If you took the time to find a samples point (remember that whole sample thing? That.), get that number and type it in. No copypasting, it doesn't work. Make sure you're correct!

Also, it will ask you for the sample number in "Lentgh.txt" (he spelled it wrong in the coding or something). Type that in. It's clearly labeled, and the instructions make it clear.

And last, it asks for a name. Name it the corresponding Letter+Number used in Brawl. The Excel Document is a list of all of them, as well as what we replaced. So if you were replacing "Overworld - Super Mario Bros.", you'd have to put in "A01" as the name.

6. Go to Edited Songs, and it'll be right there in the folder! Copy it into the sound folder on the SD card, and test it in Brawl!

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, what he said. When you're using the queue in Dantarion's tool to convert a song to BRSTM, there are columns for loop beginnings and ends. You have to find the sample numbers for those points in Audacity, then double click them in the GUI and type in the points before converting it. If you need more detailed instructions...look above me.

MrMinnow

Smash Rookie
Also, the loop start point sample needs to be a multiple of 14336, otherwise it'll go to the closest multiple of that once it's in game and it can mess up your loop.

KenHitokiri

Smash Rookie
Also, the loop start point sample needs to be a multiple of 14336, otherwise it'll go to the closest multiple of that once it's in game and it can mess up your loop.
I've never had a problem with the multiple thing. Then again, I could just be lucky.

MrMinnow

Smash Rookie
I've never had a problem with the multiple thing. Then again, I could just be lucky.
I didn't for a few songs, then I had the loop turn out completely wrong. I tried that and it fixed it. 14336 samples is only about a third of a second, so it's not always so noticeable.

Top Bottom