• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to the Zamus community for advice

CPhame

Smash Rookie
Apologies for the upcoming rant, but seriously, there's so many bad things about ZSS I'm really frustrated with. Perhaps someone knowledgeable and successful with her can shed some light on these particular flaws I'm encountering.

For the record, I am by no means a professional player, or anything like that in any regard. I find the most fun in casual play, which probably doesn't do me any good...

Here are the problems I'm encountering:

No reliable reach-around attack:
Up-tilt does a semi-decent job for people who dodge to Zamus' back, but it has mediocre range. If it does hit, its great, but there's nothing else that can fill that gap. Turn around forward-tilt seems the next best option, but that then leads to...

Accidental forward smashes:
Why is this move so slow? It has great range and all, yes, but that initial windup animation literally nullifies its usefulness as a quick punisher. Its even less reliable as a tool to punish opponents who roll to the rear as well. Each time I want to get a forward tilt, this move accidentally comes out, and by that time, opponents will attempt to roll behind and score a free hit, starting the chain of misery all over again. I really honestly believe Zamus is good when people are in front of her, because alot of her best moves only hit to the front.

Zamus is floaty:
She jumps too high. Its definitely not a good thing when you try to approach people. Short hops are the key (imo) to a good Zamus player, because they allow her to counter quickly with her b-air, u-air, etc. But executing a short hop is difficult; much more than most other characters. I discovered she basically jumps as high as Sheik, but she tends to float alot longer. Which leads to the next point: whenever she gets knocked up into the air, she's much much more vulnerable to people with excellent air moves / specials. Tack on the fact that she has few options to land safely (even d-air is unsafe), and it becomes an exercise in panic attacks whenever you become skyborne.

Zamus can be gimped easily:
I can't remember how many times I accidentally SD'd when I rush off the platform in an attempt to knock out an opponent. She only has 3 real options to make it back (f+b, u+b, db/df+b). df/db+b doesn't gain her much vertical distance, and f/u+b can be gimped really easily if a someone gets to the edge before you. On the flip side, however, she has probably the best gimp strategy ever by way of running off the edge and immediatly pressing u+b. At least thats good.

And finally,

Zamus is weak to projectiles:
Seriously. A good Pit / Falco / Wolf player can keep her at bay with their projectile attacks alone. The only way to fight back at times is utilizing her short hop, which is already difficult to use in a heated game. Ducking does not work, she still gets hit. She has to crawl to avoid getting hit, which is really unsafe. Her stun gun has worse range, is slow, and at times does not negate the incoming projectile.

Thats all the gripes. Again, I'm sorry for the long post and rant, but if there are any successful Zamus players out there, please, any advice would be wonderful. At this point I don't think I can continue choosing her, due to the fact that so many other characters are able to take full advantage of her weaknesses. Much thanks in advance.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Some of these I can capitulate with, while others I think aren't that big of a deal.

The floatiness. Everyone is floaty. It's not a big deal in this game, and it gives you pretty solid aerial mobility. Your aerial DI is solid and you can cover a lot of distance in the air.

Even though Samus has a tether recovery, it's easily the best tether in the game. If someone is on the edge if you up-B directly below them, they'll get spiked down. On top of that, her down-B jump is equiped with a killer spike. Running into either of these moves off stage is certain death. All in all, with a triple jump, decent offensive recovery options, and a huge arc to tether from, her recovery is fine. It's also hard to predict because she has multiple options.

If you are doing accidental F-smashes, I'd say thats more your fault than a quality of ZSS. But yeah, F-smash can suck. It also can be great - it's range is massive, I dont think there's a bigger disjointed hitbox on an F-smash. It's too bad it's knockback and lag are lackluster (mostly knockback, it's still a decently quick F-smash.)

True, her lack of a D-smash that hits both sides is acute. She also tends to have large hitboxes specifically in one direction. But, ZSS has a D-smash that's ridiculous - a fair trade for not being able to D-smash punish rollers.

ZSS is weak to projectiles. Her projectile game is unique, but not nearly as strong as Pit/Wolf/Falco/Zelda. But, you have many good approaches, and disjointed hitbox advantage over all of them. And, the few times your projectiles hit, it tends to hurt a lot more than theirs. Perhaps, it's more that those projectiles are blatantly overpowered, and everyone is weak to them. Even as a Falco player, you can feel oppressed by Pit's arrows, and vise versa.

Look at the positives ZSS possesses. A D-smash chain on a lot of characters, a great aerial game, huge disjointed hitboxes, ARMOR at the begining of the match, an array of kill moves, great running attacks and tilts. ZSS is above average in her tilt, smash, and air game. She has a few monster moves (Over-B, U-air, U-tilt.) U-tilt comes out in two frames, I mean. It's as fast as falcos shine in the last game.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Yes, you are just like them.

>>>>>http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155874<<<<< This is the guide thread. You post here.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143779 The Great Leon's very much appreciated ZSS thread from when Brawl was first released in Japan.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164794 Very noob guide thread. Could have been a lot better.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164314 Personal synopsis thread. Fail.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157088 Personal synopsis thread. Fail.

Edit: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4392931 Personal synopsis thread. Fail.
10deliciouscakes

James Sparrow

Smash Master
No reliable reach-around attack:
Turn around Dsmash is good, comes out fast, and is hard to punish. Otherwise you can dash away from your opponent or roll, or whatever. You don't always need to be attacking. Play some defense too.

Accidental forward smashes:
If you're accidentally doing it, than you only have your tech skill to blame. Go into training mode and practice turn around ftilts. You should be able to eliminate that god-awful move from your repertoire all together.

Zamus is floaty:
i find her short hop easy to do, and i like the amount of floatiness because you can do uair twice in the duration. You can also do a bair after the first uair if you're quick. if you're good at landing behind your opponent this can be hard to punish (depending on their options from shield).

Zamus can be gimped easily:
I can't remember how many times I accidentally SD'd when I rush off the platform in an attempt to knock out an opponent.
Stop trying to rush off the platform in an attempt to knock out an opponent if you kill yourself. Either that or practice getting better at it. I used to get gimped all the time when people realized how to **** the tether, but now i actually use that to my advantage. There have been countless times where i score a low % ko from someone hanging on the edge trying to block my up b and i just fair them after using my second jump. They get stage spiked and i up b to safety.

Zamus is weak to projectiles:
She's only weak to projectiles if you let them hit you. I'd suggest learning to powershield and punish out of your shield. It's a lot easier in brawl than melee, so give it a shot before you tell me that's too hard.

CPhame

Smash Rookie
Thank you everybody, for all of the tips. I didn't realize this type of thread was redundant, and I apologize. I'll try to post more griefing in the appropriate thread.

Top Bottom