• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to make a good practice setup for as low a cost as possible.

Treatz

Smash Rookie
Hi, i am relatively new to SSBM and i know i need a good practice setup however i am not feeling like busting out more than a hundred dollars considering i already have a wii and a GC controller.

Would it possibly be okay to get say and HDMI to Component connector and grab a GC to USB hub and just emulate Melee on the PC i am currently using? Or is it that you just HAVE to get melee for the GC and run melee through that with a crt? if so what are the differences between running on a GC/Wii in comparison to emulating it? I understand that my theorized PC setup for it will give me more lag than i want it too however right now i see it as my cheapest option.

Edit: one more question. How noticeable is the difference between a normal PC monitor that you might find in a work place or something like that vs a crt? If there is a noticeable difference can you explain what the difference is to me?

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
You can emulate Melee, but the monitor itself has to be pretty good to be able to run at 60 FPS which is a standard to play. The problem is, good ones cost around 200 bucks, which is not what you're going for of course. Check forums about monitors and the like for more information. A CRT, on the other hand, is of course much cheaper, and some people are even giving theirs away for a cheap price to even first-come, first-served type of deal. These are common on the online Facebook groups for your area (OSU Melee on Facebook posts these kinds of things a lot).

There is no difference between Melee on GC/Wii and emulated. I have Melee emulated on my modded Wii and have a good setup for Netplay, I can find some people to play with low lag. Just the monitor (and connection speed if you play online) make a difference.

A normal monitor for casual use runs at a much lower FPS, I'm assuming 30-ish frames. than a high-end monitor and a CRT. If you are getting into the game competitively, you will have to play at 60 FPS, so either pay up some money or search hard for an old CRT that can be used.

Pauer

The Pauerful
A normal monitor for casual use runs at a much lower FPS, I'm assuming 30-ish frames. than a high-end monitor and a CRT
Noooo this is so wrong.

Dont have time to go into detail cause I have a paper to finish by friday. Might edit this post.
Here's the TL; DR of what I'll say;
get a wii + a CRT. CRTs are usually free or cost a couple bucks. A used wii without the bare acessories costs around 20-50$. Softmod the wii (very easy, google a tutorial) and put regular SSBM and the 20XX training hack pack on it. (you also need a controller ofc)
PC setups are nice and can be ok even with mediocre monitors because of Faster Melee(google it), which can drastically reduce input lag. Even with mediocre monitors you can achieve CRT levels of input lag. There are issues with it like significant audio delay and ending up with input lag lower than console+crt, which is also not optimal. So it's best to have at least one reference setup with the wii+crt.

Treatz

Smash Rookie
You can emulate Melee, but the monitor itself has to be pretty good to be able to run at 60 FPS which is a standard to play. The problem is, good ones cost around 200 bucks, which is not what you're going for of course. Check forums about monitors and the like for more information. A CRT, on the other hand, is of course much cheaper, and some people are even giving theirs away for a cheap price to even first-come, first-served type of deal. These are common on the online Facebook groups for your area (OSU Melee on Facebook posts these kinds of things a lot).

There is no difference between Melee on GC/Wii and emulated. I have Melee emulated on my modded Wii and have a good setup for Netplay, I can find some people to play with low lag. Just the monitor (and connection speed if you play online) make a difference.

A normal monitor for casual use runs at a much lower FPS, I'm assuming 30-ish frames. than a high-end monitor and a CRT. If you are getting into the game competitively, you will have to play at 60 FPS, so either pay up some money or search hard for an old CRT that can be used.
Thank you for the advice but i think i will stick with what Pauer wrote because he understand EVERY MONITOR runs at a base of 60hz which is its refresh rate which means it display 60 fps at all times.
The only reason you would want to run a CRT is because of how much quicker it updates the pixels on it in comparison to an IPS display which is what normal PC monitors use.

Noooo this is so wrong.

Dont have time to go into detail cause I have a paper to finish by friday. Might edit this post.
Here's the TL; DR of what I'll say;
get a wii + a CRT. CRTs are usually free or cost a couple bucks. A used wii without the bare acessories costs around 20-50$. Softmod the wii (very easy, google a tutorial) and put regular SSBM and the 20XX training hack pack on it. (you also need a controller ofc)
PC setups are nice and can be ok even with mediocre monitors because of Faster Melee(google it), which can drastically reduce input lag. Even with mediocre monitors you can achieve CRT levels of input lag. There are issues with it like significant audio delay and ending up with input lag lower than console+crt, which is also not optimal. So it's best to have at least one reference setup with the wii+crt.
Thank you man i will definetely do this!

For both of you if you have the time too doesn't using tech on Netplay with Faster Melee on Anther's mess up your timings for when you are on console with a CRT?

Pauer

The Pauerful
One can easily adjust to a couple frames of lag in about an hour. Exclusively being exposed to one or the other for extended periods of time makes it harder to transition.

Top Bottom