• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to improve.

ElLosangeDehNoobish

Smash Rookie
A pretty straight-forward tittle!

I'm a terrible player but I genuinely want to get better and improve. It's my first time actually trying to reach out to the smash community, so this feel pretty intimidating. I don't feel confident in my skills and since I have an HD TV, there's a slight delay between the input commands and what my TV show, so making combos or trying specific things feel slow and wonky. I also happen to have a few bad habits like rollings and shielding, a huge difficulty dodging in general too.

I'm a Robin main that can play Ike and Sonic to a certain level, i have a hard time following guides and videos and i never understood why I have trouble improving with the help of those two... So if anyone is willing to help me be more confortable and get used to the slight delay I seem to have, it would be really nice to have someone's help! Or even a sparring partner. I lack friends that enjoy playing sm4sh. I play the WiiU version but I also have the 3DS one.

Thank you for your time and for reading, have a nice day.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
This sounds a tad bit difficult-ish to answer, but I shall try.

The reason why I say it sounds a little bit difficult is because there may not be a perfect solution to your input delay issue short from buying a new TV which is obviously costly and unnecessary just for a game. The only real answer I would have is either try to somehow see if you can configure the settings so the input delay is no longer an issue or just keep playing until you adjust.

As for the habits the only thing you can do is work on them. If you can identify them you should be able to control them.

Of course it's easier said than done to shake some habits, but as long as you know what they are and acknowledge that they can be problematic instead of helpful you should be okay. Just work on them, and ask others if they see anything else habit wise.

Lastly, another reason why I say this seems a bit difficult-ish to respond to is there's not much we can do about the guide issue.

One thing that comes to mind is maybe you aren't having trouble understanding the guides but just lack the experience to put the knowledge you learn to good use. After all it takes both knowledge and experience to truly get good at this game. You can't rely on just one thing alone to help you. You have to study what you can and be willing to put in a lot of time and effort into it as well.

Other than that, the only other thing I can suggest is maybe those characters aren't the right fit for you. Maybe your play-style conflicts with the style of the character. Also keep in mind some characters are a bit more difficult to use than others sadly.

From my understanding you have to be very smart with Robin and zone people, while forcing them to do exactly what you want. You probably need a lot of patience and be able to react accordingly to very specific situations. If you cannot pressure people or be very smart with their moves/zoning I don't think there's much else Robin can do (Robin mains can correct me if I'm wrong though).

Before I finish my post, my suggestion would also be to try these areas on SmashBoards that should further aid you:

The NNID Sharing Thread: Find opponents here!
The 3DS Friend Code Sharing Thread: Find opponents here!
The Robin Character Discussion Section

I really hope this post has helped you in some way, and hopefully others will share their insights with you as well.

Last edited:

ElLosangeDehNoobish

Smash Rookie
This sounds a tad bit difficult-ish to answer, but I shall try
Thank for the reply! Though, a few things you answered where not questions at all. Maybe I just worded myself incorrectly, English is my second tongue so it wouldn't surprise me if I was not clear. Thank you for your time, I will be sure to keep your reply in mind for a few point you answered!

Your threads suggestion surely will be a lot of help! Thank you! :grin:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Thank for the reply! Though, a few things you answered where not questions at all. Maybe I just worded myself incorrectly, English is my second tongue so it wouldn't surprise me if I was not clear. Thank you for your time, I will be sure to keep your reply in mind for a few point you answered!

Your threads suggestion surely will be a lot of help! Thank you! :grin:
Its fine. It was honestly just me trying to be as helpful as possible with some of the things you mentioned in your post.

Perhaps I was just a tad bit over zealous there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom