• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking to create a new tournament for Smash Ultimate and have some questions.

Frozenscopes

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone!
With the release of smash ultimate on the horizon in a few months, I got the idea that I wanted to start a new style of tournament. Something that would allow players, like me, that want to gain some tournament experience but don't necessarily have funds to travel across the country to go 0-2. However, before I start this tournament, I had a few questions to ask to gauge how you guys feel and get some feedback so I can try to make this the best tournament for you all!

Starting with Format.
I wanted this tournament to be a place where not only good players can come to test their skills, but also lower skilled or newer players could have a place to play too. That's why this tournament will be run with a Swiss bracket. Swiss brackets are great in a sense that as the tournament goes on, you'll be playing against people who are more around your skill level so you don't have that bad feeling of showing up to the tournament and going against the number 1 seed and immediately being forced into a losers bracket run. But the fun doesn't stop there. After 5 rounds of Swiss, The top 2-4 players of each pool (depending on size) will be placed into the top bracket, the 2-4 players below them will be placed into the middle bracket, and the remaining entrants will be placed into the Everyone bracket. This is a double elimination bracket with people around your skill level that will determine your final outcome in the tournament. This means that the total number of guaranteed matches you will play when entering this tournament is 7, almost 4 times the minimum of a normal double elimination bracket.

Lag.
Obviously one of the biggest concerns with online tournaments with lag. I haven't been around the online scene long enough to know how every tournament handles lag. So I'm going to be relying on you all to help me in that respect (Questions will be asked at the bottom of this post).

Leaderboards.
The plan for this tournament to be run weekly. That means there's going to be a lot of results and you may not remember them all. That's where leaderboards come in. My goal is going to be to allow people to have access to an excel spreadsheet which not only ranks people based on how well they did and give points accordingly, but keep a record of how well you did in each match and in the tournament set count overall so you can track your progress at each tournament. Obviously this is going to be a lot of work on my end, but if it's something that would be helpful I'd be willing to do it.

Assistance.
As this project requires a lot of work, I may need help with running the tournament and making sure everything runs smoothly. There will be a discord server, however that will be opened at a later date as it is still being set up to ensure everything runs smoothly. Tag your favorite T.O. or get them to contact me on this post or on twitter (@Frozenboiz) and I may just ask for their help with running this tournament.

Question time:
Now that you've heard about what I'm planning on starting, It's time for some feedback!
Instead of spamming this thread with your answers, Please leave your answers in this google form: https://goo.gl/forms/aag0scskLCUrNgsx1
If you have any more questions: leave them down below and I will respond to the as soon as I can!
Thank you for your time and I'm looking forward to seeing you all in December!​

Top Bottom