• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking Out and Punishing Player Tendencies?

kswef

Button Pressing Master
What player tendencies should I be looking out for and punishing? I usually try to find out how an opponent acts under pressure, how aggressive they are, how they like to land, among other things, but I still feel I can broaden my knowledge of these by asking the community so what do you guys think I should be looking out for in game?

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Specifics are important, because your opponent will generally choose options in a context that is written by many factors. Your looking out for landing tendencies is good for this reason. You can go pretty in depth:

- How does my opponent get out of the corner?
- How does my opponent deal with being put in the air?
- How does my opponent DI during combos?
- How does my opponent prefer to combo/edgeguard me?
- How does my opponent try to evade me in neutral?
- How does my opponent generally attack in neutral? What are his mixups?
- How does my opponent deal with crouch cancel?
- How does my opponent act out of shield pressure?
- How does my opponent like to recover?
- How does my opponent pressure me when I'm on platforms/in a bad position/cornered?
- How does my opponent shield pressure? Does he mix up grabs?
- How does my opponent like to get his kills? What can I do to avoid those situations?
- How does my opponent react to me approaching him?
- How does my opponent react to me camping him?

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
If you have a local that you play at frequently, you'll begin to notice certain player habits after playing them enough.

For example, a player at my local that I play with will often tech to the right, then in place, then to the left. I can always get the regrab when tech chasing with sheik/falcon

kswef

Button Pressing Master
Specifics are important, because your opponent will generally choose options in a context that is written by many factors. Your looking out for landing tendencies is good for this reason. You can go pretty in depth:

- How does my opponent get out of the corner?
- How does my opponent deal with being put in the air?
- How does my opponent DI during combos?
- How does my opponent prefer to combo/edgeguard me?
- How does my opponent try to evade me in neutral?
- How does my opponent generally attack in neutral? What are his mixups?
- How does my opponent deal with crouch cancel?
- How does my opponent act out of shield pressure?
- How does my opponent like to recover?
- How does my opponent pressure me when I'm on platforms/in a bad position/cornered?
- How does my opponent shield pressure? Does he mix up grabs?
- How does my opponent like to get his kills? What can I do to avoid those situations?
- How does my opponent react to me approaching him?
- How does my opponent react to me camping him?
Damn, a comprehensive list like this was actually exactly what I was looking out, thank you so much.

kswef

Button Pressing Master
If you have a local that you play at frequently, you'll begin to notice certain player habits after playing them enough.

For example, a player at my local that I play with will often tech to the right, then in place, then to the left. I can always get the regrab when tech chasing with sheik/falcon
Yeah, that what I'm trying to do but my scene is smaller and there is a less variety of player styles here in Puerto Rico so what I can learn from the players here is very limited.

Last edited:

kswef

Button Pressing Master
I guess those DQ wins were very bad oponents for you man. Keep up the good work with those reads and representing Puerto Rico.

https://smash.gg/tournament/first-attack-2016/brackets/12142/21494/71452
I wasn't calling our community bad as in skill, just that its small and not much variety. No need to come in a friendly post and try to aggressively call out someone trying to get better by posting my first tournament where I lost to 2 very good players. Calm down, lol.

Last edited:

Eval

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't calling our community bad as in skill, just that its small and not much variety. No need to come in a friendly post and salt out by posting my first tournaments bracket, lol.
Maybe you should be careful how you phrase it or better yet be part of our scene instead of coming to SWF and say our scenes bad. Dont you agree?

Anyway look in fb for Smash Dojo PR or Melee sin Barreras.

Last edited:

kswef

Button Pressing Master
Maybe you should be careful how you phrase it or better yet be part of our scene instead of coming to SWF and say our scenes bad. Dont you agree?

Anyway look in fb for Smash Dojo PR or Melee sin Barreras.
Sorry for how I phrased it, didn't mean to hurt a community I love so much. I'm in the group already aswell.

Top Bottom