• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for some competative feedback.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
First off...
I've looked around to find the best place to put this, but I'm not really finding anything anywhere.
This sort of thing is normally on the character boards, but my question isn't character specific.
so I hope its ok here.

So, here's the problem.
I'm getting my butt handed to me online constantly.
I think I'm on track as far as hitting people is concerned. When I'm on the chase, I tend to do a lot better.
The problem, I think, is I absolutely cannot seem to manage to not get hit.
People put on pressure, and get rewarded every time.

At launch, I was doing fine. I had a win rate over 80%. But, it seems the longer I play, the worse I'm doing. I've managed to get all the way down to to a 37% win rate.
I get the impression, that I'm just missing something. Or IDK.

Anyway, here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZJPpHamGk

This one is by far the closest match of all the replayes I saved.
but there's a playlist as well, with a couple others.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPGOviQ0ikxqeNZNp-80dK1cJP62q0kzs

To be clear, I don't care about feedback like "Oh, you should have used your ___ move here" type of stuff.
I'm sure there's a better move I should have used just about every 5 seconds of every video, and I can get that sort of feedback in much greater detail in the character boards.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Well I watched your first video versus the Black haired robin ( Cesarin). You idled the first seconds, that's a big no no. Also when you throw your shino, charge it up so you have multible to throw. Just throwing one at a time is quite ineffective. You should also grab more. Also sheiks f-tilt leads up to some sweet combos.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Warning Received
Well I watched your first video versus the Black haired robin ( Cesarin). You idled the first seconds, that's a big no no. Also when you throw your shino, charge it up so you have multible to throw. Just throwing one at a time is quite ineffective. You should also grab more. Also sheiks f-tilt leads up to some sweet combos.
There were 11 attempted grabs, and 4 successful grabs.
I probably should be grabbing more, but I'm attempting plenty often.

What about spacing, Is my spacing just wrong?

What about what I'm doing after I get hit? Am I doing what I need to do to make sure I'm not getting hit again?

How about my return to stage, and my return to ground? Whenever I play really good players, I feel like I don't know how to get my feet back on the ground properly, without getting punished.

Am I doing what I need to, to make sure my opponent can't get back up on stage, or land on the ground again. I chase with bair a lot, but thats most often airdodged. Should I not chase, but wait for them to land?

Also, if somebody wants to give me some advice, but would rather play me, instead of watching silly videos, let me know.

I'd be down for that. And I'm sure a lot of people out there get a much better feel of whats going on through play, rather than through replays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I'm by no means a godly player, but here are my two cents:

:4tlink: vs :4zss:: As a Link main, this one feels like the easiest for me to critique. You're using Toon Link, a character who has access to three different projectiles. In this match you tried to get up close to ZSS rather than distance yourself from her. ZSS is a character who loves to combo you up close and personal, she isn't fond of projectiles. Try to keep spacing her out and putting pressure on her with your projectiles. Short hop and use your boomerang as well as jump cancel your bomb throws while she's away from you, use your hookshot as needed to play games. Keep your distance from her. Now I'm not sure about Toon Link's bombs, but if they're anything like Link's, they may lead into some sweet combos if they land on a mid percentage. If she blocks your bomb throw, it should deflect back at a certain angle, run up and catch the bomb with an N-Air if you can, this will allow you to perform a move to put a bit more pressure on her while catching your bomb to use once again. You also seemed to hesitate performing your 3 hit jab combo, this allowed the ZSS player to retaliate with her own move and punish you. Don't be hesitant, keep the pressure going. When blocking one of her close range moves, try shield grabbing her to punish it. If she uses her stun gun and you block it, expect her to run up to you and attempt her grab.

:4sheik: vs :4samus:: You're a combo character, your opponent is a ranged character. Expect her to charge her charge shot and spam missles. If the Samus has already charged her shot, you may expect a missile/super missile followed by a charge shot (especially when you're at a higher percent), be cautious and block while advancing towards her. You may also interrupt her charge shot with your needles. If she's charging, take the opportunity to send some needles at her to either reset her charge or stop her from charging briefly. At lower percents, your forward tilt can be spammed a few times to get a combo going. Down throw can be comboed into an U-air (short hop at lower percents). Once you get your opponent to a high enough percentage and flyng off the stage, you can use your Down Special to possibly KO the recovering opponent if it lands.

:4sheik: vs :4sonic:: I don't have much experience with Sonic, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help with him, but I'll give it a shot. I felt that your performance with Sheik was much better in this matchup than it was against Samus. When the Sonic player was at a mid/high percentage, I noticed that you tried to go for another forward tilt that won't connect since Sonic went flying too far. Going for a forward air would have complimented the first forward tilt you performed on him. Forward tilt spam works at lower percentages. I also noticed some unnecessary use of Vanish, even one instance of you spamming it 3 times in a row, and it was while you were on the ground and it was sided. It's too predictable considering the time Sheik takes to actually complete the move, this leaves you vulnerable for your opponent to counter if predicted right. For using Vanish as an attacking move, I'd personally use it while in the air and go towards a grounded target. However, don't spam it too much as it gets predictable easily.

:4sheik: vs :4robinm:: Overall, your most strongest performance with Sheik imo. Remember to not go under a Robin player when they're trying to recover, that El Wind has spike potential. Don't forget when blocking close range moves, you can press A to shield grab them and go into further shenanigans. I saw you do this once, not sure if there were any other instances of this.

For overall advice, I feel you shouldn't hesitate too much to put your opponents under pressure (:4sheik: vs :4robinm: was the strongest). Don't release your block too early like you did a few instances, so it's up to practicing that down. Also there were instances of you choosing to recover from the ledge with a ledge attack rather than a ledge hop and into an attack or a jump. At high percents, ledge attack is fairly slow, so don't rely on it too much. Ledge roll is ok, but a good opponent can easily punish readable ledge rolls. If your opponent is quite a distance from you, try a ledge hop and follow with a projectile and recover. If your opponent is closer, try recovering with a ledge hop and and attack such as Forward-air or Neutral-air.

This is just my 2 cents, and could possibly be improved upon as I'm still learning. Hope I helped a bit.

Last edited:

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
You lord N online as well? I think I played you a while back.
At least, I seem to recall your name, and certainly haven't seen your avatar or sig before.

Anyway, very helpful.

I think releasing sheild too early is definitely one of the critical aspects I need to improve on.
Gameplay wise, its really just as bad as not shielding at all.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
You lord N online as well? I think I played you a while back.
At least, I seem to recall your name, and certainly haven't seen your avatar or sig before.
I used the tag "Lord" back in Melee since Lord N didn't fit, but I found it was a bit common. Online the 3DS my name is "TPN", which is whom I'm known as on Pokemon forums.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Definitely a much better Toon Link than the first one. Don't forget to jump cancel throw those bombs to increase the range they're thrown and reduce the lag time. Up tilt is a good combo starter, so it would be nice to see more of that. That's about all the advice I can think of for Toon Link.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
You know there are video threads for Toon Link and Sheik in their respective character forums, right? I know your dilemma isn't character- specific, but I think you could've just placed the videos in the character boards anyway, it doesn't have to be that way. I get general advice all the time when I place my videos in the boards, which sometimes earns me advice that isn't character exclusive at all (such as rolling and dash grabbing too much as Greninja, but I was also told I do it with Sonic and Pacman too.). As for your advice, I can watch. At least one of your videos later and try to help anyway though.

Top Bottom