• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for help against Rosalina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I want to be able to face against Space Elsa Rosalina, but I usually do end up getting countered by her every angle because she's so goddamn wonky.

How do I face Rosalina? I play Pac, Kirby, Mario, Mega Man, and Ness. I usually pull out Mario for the Rosalina MU because it's the best out of all my mains.

Who does good against Rosalina? Does Sonic do any good against her? Help me here, she's the one character I literally cannot face.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
I want to be able to face against Space Elsa Rosalina, but I usually do end up getting countered by her every angle because she's so goddamn wonky.

How do I face Rosalina? I play Pac, Kirby, Mario, Mega Man, and Ness. I usually pull out Mario for the Rosalina MU because it's the best out of all my mains.

Who does good against Rosalina? Does Sonic do any good against her? Help me here, she's the one character I literally cannot face.
The most important thing is GET RID OF LUMA. Trust me when I tell you, when Luma is gone you have to go after her (strategically of course) because she is not as good with out Luma but she can still fight. Luma can be killed alot easier than what it might seem but be very careful as Rosalina will most likely try to punish you for killing Luma

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
The most important thing is GET RID OF LUMA. Trust me when I tell you, when Luma is gone you have to go after her (strategically of course) because she is not as good with out Luma but she can still fight. Luma can be killed alot easier than what it might seem but be very careful as Rosalina will most likely try to punish you for killing Luma
I know that much. But how do I try and get around her? She's super annoying and defensive to face.

Who does well against her?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From what I can understand, fighters who are very mobile can give Rosalina a run for her money, since they tend to move too fast for Rosalina to evade.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So someone like, say, Sheik or Falcon?

I'll see what I can do.
Sheik is probably one of the better options to use. Captain Falcon is fast, but he can only really mess up Rosalina if he can get the Luma out of the picture, which can be easier said than done with his lack of projectile attacks.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Sheik is probably one of the better options to use. Captain Falcon is fast, but he can only really mess up Rosalina if he can get the Luma out of the picture, which can be easier said than done with his lack of projectile attacks.
Tight, thanks. I'll use one of the two. I just needed someone that'll **** up Rosalina because man she's my one counter.

Mario is pretty great against Rosalina. Fireballs completely shut Luma down unless Rosalina wants it to trade/clank, leaving herself open. Rosalina's recovery is also prime caping material. He can also dthrow > upb Luma into oblivion. Also I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Mario could just NAir his way out of stuff like UThrow > Utilt/USmash/UAir or FFFAir > smashes. His DAir is also ridiculously safe. It catches Luma and takes away like 1/4 - 1/2 of its health in a single go and it doesn't help that Rosalina's jab is F8, so even if you shield every hit (including the landing impact), he still has more than enough time to jab or whatever.

also

I want to be able to face against Space Elsa Rosalina
where did you get space elsa from, tell me

Last edited:

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole

Of the characters you listed Mario is your best bet against her. Your going to want to pressure her a lot but be careful on your approach because her punish game is very strong. Be especially careful with your aerials because she has great anti-airs. Killing luma is one of the keys to the matchup but don't just fish for the kill on him to the point that you leave yourself open to a free punish. Cape is is okay at edge guarding but you should mostly try to get a read on the edge when she gets up with something like an u smash. Hope this helps.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
where did you get space elsa from, tell me
Just a little joke since I've seen people say she looks similar to Elsa. I dunno. They're both shoved in our faces for advertisements, though :^)

I'll keep the Mario stuff in mind, though I'll probably try out someone who has a better MU against her if I need to. Thanks.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
The mario bros. Can all back throw Rosalina and almost insta kill Luma because they use Rosalina to slam him away. This allows the mario player to follow up Rosalina more easily, you can chase her in the air because she lands very slowly and is very big and without Luma she doesnt have any fast or reliable aerials (except maybe down air). Try this stuff out and you should improve a lot in the matchup :)

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
You don't. Your either join her, or die. Resistance is futile.

I, for one, welcome our new Space Elsa overlord.
But I don't want to go camping!

The mario bros. Can all back throw Rosalina and almost insta kill Luma because they use Rosalina to slam him away. This allows the mario player to follow up Rosalina more easily, you can chase her in the air because she lands very slowly and is very big and without Luma she doesnt have any fast or reliable aerials (except maybe down air). Try this stuff out and you should improve a lot in the matchup :)
I remember hearing that Mario/Luigi's bthrows get Luma out of there so I'll keep that in mind. I guess Mario's my go-to for the MU. I usually go Mario for it anyhow.

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
Rosalina knows how to hunt as well. She can be very aggressive in the right hands.
In all seriousness, Zonderion is right. A lot of people who play as Rosalina online tend to camp because she's an exceptional defensive player. But when played correctly, she can be aggressive. I do think she's better suited for defensive play, though.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, Mario, Luigi, and Falcon are NOT good match ups against Rosalina & Luma.

Mario and Luigi can KO Luma with a backthrow, and Mario can even potentially cape gimp Rosalina's recovery, but it doesn't make up for the fact that these characters get bodied in every other possible way. They simply don't have the speed or range to get in on Rosalina & Luma.

Falcon's big frame and fast fall speed means he gets combo'd by everything RosaLuma wants to do, and he gets gimped extremely easily. Sure he's fast but it's still very difficult for him to get in on RosaLuma.

If you want to pick up another character for the purpose of beating RosaLuma, Diddy Kong is your best bet. After that, Sonic and Pikachu are your best bets. Olimar is a solid pick as well.

Among the characters you mention that you play regularly, I would say Mega Man has the best match up against her.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Half of Mega Man's moveset is projectiles, which good ol' Balance Princess can just down-B. Are you sure about that?
Rosalina can't spam gravitational pull if her opponent is close to her, because the move has a lot of lag, so if she guesses wrong about a forthcoming projectile, she's going to get punished badly for it.

Although the conventional wisdom is that Rosalina prefers playing projectile characters because of her down+B, the truth is just the opposite. Rosalina's game is all about zoning, and if her opponent doesn't have a good projectile, it allows her to easily dominate space.

Mega Man's projectiles are particularly good because crash bomb detonates on contact with Luma, metal blade hits both Luma and Rosalina, and lemons stop Luma cold. And as I said, Rosalina can't safely down+B unless Mega Man is a safe distance away from her... and from that distance, Rosalina can't do anything anyway (if she's not using her Shooting Star Bit and Luma Warp custom moves).

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I suppose I'll try that MU out though I really don't know. I guess coming from another largely projectile based character (Pac) I just think projectile users, or at least ones that heavily rely on it, get hard countered by her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bonus Fruit is pretty much ineffective when used too far away, but it can mess up Rosalina if PAC-MAN manages to get at her face. Gravitational Pulling projectiles requires proper predictions, and some fighters can mix things up by baiting Rosalina into thinking that they're going to throw their projectiles at her.

For one example, Peach could pull out a Vegetable, but instead of throwing it, she'd use Peach Bomber instead. Similarly, R.O.B. can charge up his Gyro, and it won't hinder his moveset at all, making it even more difficult to predict when the Gyro is going to be fired.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Bonus Fruit is pretty much ineffective when used too far away, but it can mess up Rosalina if PAC-MAN manages to get at her face. Gravitational Pulling projectiles requires proper predictions, and some fighters can mix things up by baiting Rosalina into thinking that they're going to throw their projectiles at her.
Really? I'll try to keep this in mind.

Still though I don't ever want to do the Pac/Rosalina MU, it literally makes me want to cry.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Maybe this was too obvious an answer, which is only a single person in this thread mentioned it but, choose Diddy Kong.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The worst part about it is that I'm actually considering that option.

I-I guess I like playing as Diddy.
Serious question: have you considered picking her up yourself?

I'm not recommending you face her in a mirror match, but I think you'll find it very beneficial to learn her yourself so you can pick out all the holes in her game. She has lag, openings, and weaknesses like any other characters (though less than most), but they're still there. That way I'm sure you'll find more confidence when you do face her with other characters once you see how she works.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Serious question: have you considered picking her up yourself?

I'm not recommending you face her in a mirror match, but I think you'll find it very beneficial to learn her yourself so you can pick out all the holes in her game. She has lag, openings, and weaknesses like any other characters (though less than most), but they're still there. That way I'm sure you'll find more confidence when you do face her with other characters once you see how she works.
Funny you mention, actually. For a while I was considering picking up Rosalina. I didn't play her much, but I did play her for a little bit. Maybe I'll get some more experience, but I did understand her a little more.

Though I just went aggro.

Also thanks for helping me try to find a counter to your character, Rosie boards

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
Also thanks for helping me try to find a counter to your character, Rosie boards
Hey, at the end of the day, Smash is just a game. We all love it and want to improve. There's no reason for us not to help you. :-)

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hey, at the end of the day, Smash is just a game. We all love it and want to improve. There's no reason for us not to help you. :-)
Also he probably won't beat us anyway. :::::::::-------))))))

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From the info that I've gathered during the match-up discussions, the following characters are either (almost) evenly matched, or have an advantage against Rosalina.

:4peach::4yoshi::4wario::4diddy::4zelda::4sheik::4zss::4marth::4rob:

Palutena can also give Rosalina a run for her money, but only really if she can use her custom specials.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Also he probably won't beat us anyway. :::::::::-------))))))
Hey I resent that.

JUST YOU WAIT UNTIL I PULL OUT POCKET DIDDY

From the info that I've gathered during the match-up discussions, the following characters are either (almost) evenly matched, or have an advantage against Rosalina.

:4peach::4yoshi::4wario::4diddy::4zelda::4sheik::4zss::4marth::4rob:

Palutena can also give Rosalina a run for her money, but only really if she can use her custom specials.

Zelda, Marth, Wario...

Jesus christ what

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

How do I face Rosalina? I play Pac [...]
Every. Single. Time. This is who I think of:

Seriously now, here are some tips:
1) When Rosalina is coming at you from above, juggle her either from the bottom right or the bottom left. Her dair only goes straight down.
2) Destroy Luma at the very first opportunity. This gives you about 13 seconds to put the pressure on Rosie.
3) To separate Luma from Rosalina, attacks with fat hitboxes work wonders. For instance, I have separated the both of them multiple times with Falcon's running A.
4) Play Captain Falcon.
5) Play Rosaluma

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Yeah believe it or not, Zelda can give Rosalina trouble, as Din's Fire is unaffected by Gravitational Pull, and Nayru's Love can make Luma Shot backfire on Rosalina. You can look at this post for even more information.
>High tiers can still struggle with Rosalina at times
>Zelda, a bottom tier, has an advantage

What world am I living in?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
>Zelda, a bottom tier, has an advantage

What world am I living in?
Maybe a world you take advice with a grain of salt.

Not to knock on Zelda - no, I really mean to knock on Zelda when I say this: I don't know how much reflecting Luma Shot really skews the matchup. There might be something there with Din's being able to smack Luma, but the rest of the character is really poor and I don't see how she really has an even matchup, let alone any kind of advantage, on one of the best characters in the game.

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
Maybe a world you take advice with a grain of salt.

Not to knock on Zelda - no, I really mean to knock on Zelda when I say this: I don't know how much reflecting Luma Shot really skews the matchup. There might be something there with Din's being able to smack Luma, but the rest of the character is really poor and I don't see how she really has an even matchup, let alone any kind of advantage, on one of the best characters in the game.
I personally find Zelda to be incredibly annoying because of one move: Farore's Wind.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I personally find Zelda to be incredibly annoying because of one move: Farore's Wind.
Could you elaborate on that? Farore's wasn't even mentioned earlier and I'm curious.

Last edited:

Rosalina _88

Smash Rookie
Could you elaborate on that? Farore's wasn't even mentioned earlier and I'm curious.
Well, I mostly see Zelda in For Fun mode, so most of my experience with her is in that capacity. But when she's constantly zapping across the stage, she gets pretty irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom