• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for an article about mental issues and Smash.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Hi. I'm Super FOG, a smasher from Brazil, and I have Asperger syndrome.

I read a bunch of articles about minorities in the Smash community such as transgenders, homossexuals, disabled people and etc., but I never saw anything related to smashers with mental issues, you know, autism, asperger, down's syndrome, depression, stress disorders and such. I've been always wondering how these kind of people deal with the symptoms, as for myself, I have difficulties in expressing my thoughts, difficulties in joining discussions even in topics of my interest, I can't stand on other people's eyes for so long, sometimes I'm resistive to routine changes and have anxiety crisis. Since Brazil have a smaller community compared to the US, I feel very isolated, since I never saw another player from here with such different behaviors. How many people in the Smash community have mental disorders and how these people deal with the social interaction difficulties?

notsuchabadguy

Smash Apprentice
The idea certainly sounds interesting, FOG! If you'd allow me, I would be more than thrilled to write an article on the topic myself. I'm afraid I'm not in direct contact with many players suffering for any sort of mental issues, but I'm sure I could find some people interested in talking about their experiences if I dug for them. What do you think?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
From what I know a fair amount of smashers are on the autistic spectrum, but I don't think anyone's really explored the subject (except maybe r/kappa). As for depression, probably the same as the rest of the internet so 90% :p

I can't really say I know much though, maybe you should ask Capps to research and write about it?

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
The idea certainly sounds interesting, FOG! If you'd allow me, I would be more than thrilled to write an article on the topic myself. I'm afraid I'm not in direct contact with many players suffering for any sort of mental issues, but I'm sure I could find some people interested in talking about their experiences if I dug for them. What do you think?
I would love this! if I could help with anything, would be marvelous. Having the chance to give people a wider visibility of smashers with mental disorders could mean something to me.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
PP has been struggling with depression for a long time, but he's finding ways to help deal with it.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
Very interesting topic. I feel everyone I've met on smashboards has used the boards to fit in somewhere free of judgement. We are all so very different and this is one place we can feel free to be ourselves and (for the most part...there are some mean comments every once in a while) be accepted for who we are. Mental health still has leaps and bounds to go before it is truly understood. The mind is so complex and I think Smash gives off a very relaxing characteristic for some and a very thrilling feeling for others. That's why I feel so many different people come together to play it. I personally find it so relaxing to watch. I'll play and all, but just watching what other people decide to do is soothing to me!

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I don't think you could find any one article, unless it's a opinion/editorial piece with a one-person viewpoint.

I think Smash can possibly make one more introverted, mainly because one can have the tendency to play alone, privately, in hope of getting better and increasing their win rate. A domino effect of that would probably be a detrimental effect to their social skills, and make them out to be a more shy person in the real world. It's sad, but that's all too often a game like Smash can easily have on people.

Navarro

Smash Apprentice
I think Smash can possibly make one more introverted, mainly because one can have the tendency to play alone, privately, in hope of getting better and increasing their win rate. A domino effect of that would probably be a detrimental effect to their social skills, and make them out to be a more shy person in the real world. It's sad, but that's all too often a game like Smash can easily have on people.
If that's the case then said person was probably an introvert from the start, smash is mostly a social game. Ever been to a smashfest? We would have smashfests every friday and get like 20 people in one guy's house, living room would be full of TVs, consoles, and everything. Pretty much a LAN party.

The only people I know who practice by themselves is because they don't have a scene in their area and no one to play with.

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
I suffer from minor autism and depression. I Dont usually deal with these problems. They just happen.

Last edited:

notkaleb

Smash Rookie
Well, I have ADD, and this makes playing Melee in just friendlies very difficult and often frustrating for me. My ability to focus all but vanishes 99% of the time when I'm put under pressure by the other player, as you can guess this also makes tournament nerves 10x worse as well. It's something I've been working really hard to overcome because I ****ing love Melee to death, and when I can find peace in my mind to focus and think clearly, it's a beautiful thing. I think I have many social issues as well, which I don't feel like diving into.

Top Bottom