• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking For Advice To Running Bigger Tournaments

Olbus

Smash Rookie
I'm looking for any advice, tips, and tricks from any other TOs who have put on larger events.

Here's some info with what we're doing and what we've done so far.

I'm one of three TOs in Southern Utah, and we do a weekly tournament at a local gaming store. We do two games per tournament (Melee and PM, Smash 4 and Melee, Smash 4 and PM, etc.) using Challonge, and we rarely stream. Our turn out is about 16 to 24 people per bracket, and with both brackets being double elimination, it takes us about four hours to finish our tournament. This is mostly because we tend to have about two or three set-ups per game.

Now this is what we're doing.

There is an anime convention coming into our town on at the end of March, and they've given us a 1900 sf. room for two days to run smash tournaments. We're intending on covering the venue fee, seeing that it's small, and doing the tournaments for charity. Our plan is to run four brackets: 64 singles on Friday morning/afternoon, Smash 4 singles on Friday afternoon/night, PM singles on Saturday morning/afternoon, and Melee singles on Saturday afternoon/night. We're going to be capping registration at 128 entrants, and running four pools with four set-ups per pool. We'll also have pool captains (also running Challonge) taking care of each pool. The top two or four from each pool will advance for a top eight or sixteen, respectively. We plan on streaming, commentating, and getting sponsors to get a prize pool together for the top three of each game. Registration will be both walk-in and online, with registration of each game ending an hour before the pools start. Also, the event is expecting 1,000+ attendees.

I'd like to know some insight from you TOs who've put on events of this caliber, and maybe some things to look for/be aware of when doing something of this size. Anything helps.

Top Bottom