• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for a new main...

What new character would be best for me?

• Total voters

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Hello everyone. As you may have read from the title of this thread, I am looking to start playing a new main in Melee. I currently play Falco, but he's no longer any fun to me. I used to main Marth and Fox, but they got old for me. I usually like maining characters that aren't too fast, but can also kick some ass. Any recommendations? Thanks! :bubblebobble:

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Sounds like you'd like Peach, Jiggs, or Marth. If you have Marth experience already I'd suggest sticking with him.

Just keep playing every character you like until it's easy for you to decide who you like best. Personally, it took me almost an entire year to discover my main. Give yourself some time

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Just keep playing every character you like until it's easy for you to decide who you like best. Personally, it took me almost an entire year to discover my main. Give yourself some time
Thanks! Yeah, I've been switching from character to character lately seeing what seems the most fun to me.

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
It also took me over a year to finally decide on my main. I went through quite a few characters too. It's really all preference :)

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
It also took me over a year to finally decide on my main. I went through quite a few characters too. It's really all preference :)
Right now I'm thinking about going to Sheik or keeping with marth..

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Go for it then! Nothing wrong with switching mains, as long as you eventually stick with one. It's always good to find somebody you have a lot of fun playing.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I originally started with Samus 2 years, then moved to DK for 1 1/2 years, and now I've been using all the other characters out at locals (except Roy and Mario who I've put serious time in with as secondaries)

I'm stuck on Kirby right now and I'm kinda doing awesome, I think I might finally settle on Kirby and try and rep him for the local and regional scene. Or who knows maybe I'm one of those people who's destined to never finally settle on a main.

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
I originally started with Samus 2 years, then moved to DK for 1 1/2 years, and now I've been using all the other characters out at locals (except Roy and Mario who I've put serious time in with as secondaries)

I'm stuck on Kirby right now and I'm kinda doing awesome, I think I might finally settle on Kirby and try and rep him for the local and regional scene. Or who knows maybe I'm one of those people who's destined to never finally settle on a main.
That's how I feel lol IFK, might settle on either sheik or marth

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Go for it then! Nothing wrong with switching mains, as long as you eventually stick with one. It's always good to find somebody you have a lot of fun playing.
I've decided I'm switching from Falco to Marth! Already know everything about him so I should be a lot better now

D

Deleted member

I would play every character in the game until one of them clicks. But from the voting I would pick Jiggs because I find she is one of the most fun characters in the game to play (she also doesn't require MADD tech skill).

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
I would play every character in the game until one of them clicks. But from the voting I would pick Jiggs because I find she is one of the most fun characters in the game to play (she also doesn't require MADD tech skill).
That's true, and I would play Jiggs, but there's no smash boards guide on her... :039:

D

Deleted member

That's true, and I would play Jiggs, but there's no smash boards guide on her... :039:
REALLY?!?! I had absolutely no idea! That's a bit strange, will have to look into that. On the other hand Jiggs is my secondary so advice is here :p Also look at HBox, Jiggs is a very easy character to analyse and copy/follow.

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
REALLY?!?! I had absolutely no idea! That's a bit strange, will have to look into that. On the other hand Jiggs is my secondary so advice is here :p Also look at HBox, Jiggs is a very easy character to analyse and copy/follow.
Thanks man! Yeah the tourney o went to yesterday, melee was token 1st place By jiggs

AirFair

Marth tho
Just keep trying. I've met only few people who have stuck with their main entirely. I myself didn't even think of playing marth till watching some of his combos. I've stuck with marth thankfully since then.

Before I used to play falcon.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Marth fits the bill for top tier. From your list, slower but strong also fits Jiggs and ICs pretty well. Peach is great as well and also sounds enjoyable for you.

Play whoever you want though, of course.

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Marth fits the bill for top tier. From your list, slower but strong also fits Jiggs and ICs pretty well. Peach is great as well and also sounds enjoyable for you.

Play whoever you want though, of course.
Peach huh? I've never played her.. Anything special about her?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Peach huh? I've never played her.. Anything special about her?
Yes she has a few very broken OP moves and mechanics.

Super fast and safe D-smash capable of 50-70 damage, float cancelled aerials, very powerful F-throw, and the best projectile in the game.

All the Peach mains I've talked to seem to start to hate playing as her after a while, and move on. Her movement and jump is odd and she can seem slow until you really get good with her. She is powerful and hard to combo, edgeguard, and KO much like Samus.

Last edited:

Skydra

Smash Cadet
Seeing as you seem to have an issue with becoming bored of characters, Falcon is rarely boring. And hey, if you're just trying out new characters, give DK a shot. He has a tough neutral but a fun grab and combo game.

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Seeing as you seem to have an issue with becoming bored of characters, Falcon is rarely boring. And hey, if you're just trying out new characters, give DK a shot. He has a tough neutral but a fun grab and combo game.
Yeah, what usually happens is that I train my character all month for the upcoming tournament and then when i t comes, I get beat hard and I think that i m not doing things right with the char I'm playing s . I usually switch characters. I need to get focused on one though.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yeah, what usually happens is that I train my character all month for the upcoming tournament and then when i t comes, I get beat hard and I think that i m not doing things right with the char I'm playing s . I usually switch characters. I need to get focused on one though.

Yea I'd suggest not worrying about winning or losing. It's about the character you have the most fun playing as no matter if you're winning or losing.

Unfortunately for some of us that character that we click with the best might happen to be what others label as a "non-viable" character, and it's an uphill battle. My advice is to not to focus on that at all, sometimes the synergy between a player and a character can transcend current tier list placement; like AmSa with Yoshi, Triple R with Kirby, or Axe with Pikachu.

Last edited:
All the Peach mains I've talked to seem to start to hate playing as her after a while, and move on
What makes Peach not very fun to play is how bad she is at catching up to an opponent. She's in a 2 way tie for being the 3rd slowest runner among all characters ( http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dashing ). Captain Falcon and Fox can give her a nightmare by simply running away all game. Her safest approach options involve using turnips and/or floats. Both of those things take time to set up. Floating gives her a very projected path of travel so it's very easy for an opponent to know where she'll be next. Her fastest moving approach options are dash attack and dash grab, which are pretty risky. She's also not very good in the air if she isn't floating. There's not much she can do against a character camping the top platform (Westballz vs ARmada)

Also, Falco's laser is the best projectile, not Peach's turnips

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Sheik sounds like a good pick for you. I play her too and while I don't find her as fun as Marth and Falcon, she's very easy to pick up and her combo game is really strong.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Also, Falco's laser is the best projectile, not Peach's turnips

Actually Kirby with Falco's Laser is the best projectile. Awwwww yeaaa :kirby: SH double laser *PEW PEW* (or triple laser with Fox's). And Kirby, Jiggs, and G&W can duck under both of their lasers, but not turnips.

I get the feeling that many might argue that Peach has the best projectile overall: can be dropped, comboed, re-grabbed, stitch face, edgeguard, etc. Link probably has an even better one if we're talking about for the sole purpose of KO set ups. It's all subjective of course.

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Actually Kirby with Falco's Laser is the best projectile. Awwwww yeaaa :kirby: SH double laser *PEW PEW* (or triple laser with Fox's). And Kirby, Jiggs, and G&W can duck under both of their lasers, but not turnips.

I get the feeling that many might argue that Peach has the best projectile overall: can be dropped, comboed, re-grabbed, stitch face, edgeguard, etc. Link probably has an even better one if we're talking about for the sole purpose of KO set ups. It's all subjective of course.
This is true :D

Last edited:

The problem with turnips is that Peach needs a safe 29 frames of being on the ground to do that move. If the opponent is too close, they can stop her on reaction. Stitches, bombs, and swords have very low chances of being pulled (I've heard that it's <2% for stitches and I now swords and bombs are rarer than stitches). Falco's laser is much better because it controls the neutral game better than Peach's multi-purpose projectile. There's also the simple fact that spamming lasers is much faster than spamming turnips

kingPiano

Smash Ace
The problem with turnips is that Peach needs a safe 29 frames of being on the ground to do that move. If the opponent is too close, they can stop her on reaction. Stitches, bombs, and swords have very low chances of being pulled (I've heard that it's <2% for stitches and I now swords and bombs are rarer than stitches). Falco's laser is much better because it controls the neutral game better than Peach's multi-purpose projectile. There's also the simple fact that spamming lasers is much faster than spamming turnips
Yes and it takes Falco 21 frames to do a SHFF Laser and it only does 3%. Peach's does 13%, 17%, 23%, and 41% and as a result has significantly more knockback and hit-stun for combos and edgeguards.

I say I like Vanilla ice cream you say Chocolate ice cream is better. There are no facts here really, and it's not really up for debate since that's not what this thread is about.

Last edited:

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Yes and it takes Falco 21 frames to do a SHFF Laser and it only does 3%. Peach's does 13%, 17%, 23%, and 41% and as a result has significantly more knockback and hit-stun for combos and edgeguards.

I say I like Vanilla ice cream you say Chocolate ice cream is better. There are no facts here really, and it's not really up for debate since that's not what this thread is about.
I know, but what about Sheiks needles?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I know, but what about Sheiks needles?
They are amazing but it takes the most time to attain all, singles are great for edge-guard, throwing animation for even 1 is much slower than Peach.
Fully charged; all 6 needles, it only does 1 more percent than Peach's second most common turnip the wink eye.

Again it's all subjective as I said. All can be seen as the better projectile in the game. I see no point in arguing about it in this thread since it's about you looking for a new main. If you guys want to start a "what's the best projectile in Melee" thread I'd say go for it but it's probably been done a dozen times before. And the conclusion is usually....everyone still has the same preconceived opinion and favorite....so like many discussions on these boards it becomes rather pointless and cyclical.

Last edited:

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
They are amazing but it takes the most time to attain all, singles are great for edge-guard, throwing animation for even 1 is much slower than Peach.
Fully charged; all 6 needles, it only does 1 more percent than Peach's second most common turnip the wink eye.

Again it's all subjective as I said. All can be seen as the better projectile in the game. I see no point in arguing about it in this thread since it's about you looking for a new main. If you guys want to start a "what's the best projectile in Melee" thread I'd say go for it but it's probably been done a dozen times before. And the conclusion is usually....everyone still has the same preconceived opinion and favorite....so like many discussions on these boards it becomes rather pointless and cyclical.
Well getting back to the thread, I tried marth and sheik and they both seem equally fun to me, but I'm just figuring out which one feels more comfortable for me

AirFair

Marth tho
No. I would advise heavily against that. Dual maining is not for a beginner. I used to think that I could make it work, but honestly, until you are a lot better, you should stick to one character.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my b. I didn't mean straight away, I should have clarified.

Top Bottom