• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for a mentor/partner, hit a total wall

Lyrec

Smash Rookie
I'm new here. I couldn't find a better place to put this so correct me if this is the wrong place.
Put simply, I am finding it impossibly difficult to make any real progress. I can't get better. I've studied particular data with my mains, and all matchups. I watch footage and analyze it daily. I practice several hours per day. But I just can' seem to win at all. Not in locals, FG, or even anthers. I've seeked out coaching and mentoring in the past, but they either charge amazingly high fees or don't end up following through. I work a full time job but don't have enough to pay someone a lot hourly.

My main few: I play a lot of Mario, Cloud, and Rosalina. I sometimes go back to DK when things get rough.

Here's what I need: a mentor who can either help me out of the goodness of their heart (or will work with me indefinitely for a fee of like $50 or something reasonable). I need someone who can help me get the fundamentals a bit better, and if you can also help me with my main few characters, that would also be amazing.

I love this series. I've been playing since the OG 64 days. I just want to be better. I just wanna be able to play without getting bodied constantly.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Firstly, welcome to SmashBoards.

Next up, perhaps you could give us a bit more details first. You mentioned you can't win in locals so that must mean you go and play against actual players offline, correct? How often do you do so though? While For Glory can be a simple and quick solution for finding various opponents it's typically not the greatest environment for improving for several good reasons which include:

- The fact it's Omega only
- The players there are generally a mixed bag and are often not worth it usually
- Not a lot of character diversity

I honestly can't say much on Anthers as I do not use that place. SmashBoards has Threads for both 3DS and Wii U that specialize in finding opponents to Smash against, and do not forget that there are several Smash Discords available as well.

It's honestly good to hear that you are also trying to study the game by seeking information out, watching vids, and so forth but you must keep in mind although knowledge is good you need experience to back it up too. You mentioned you also studied information on your mains specifically; however to what extent? Just their Match-Ups or Combos, or everything you can...?

Do you know how their neutral game works?
Do you know what stages they excel on?
Do you know what moves are considered safe and unsafe, and in what situations?

You must also consider the fact that sometimes knowledge on other characters are sometimes needed as well and can certainly aid you more than just being knowledgeable with your own characters. Knowing what your opponent craves really helps.

And to be honest I don't think you necessarily have to pay someone to get better, although it's up to you if you do so.

The main thing is to continue to play and absorb knowledge, and go against as many diverse players possible. It may help a lot to just get a long term Smashing partner/rival too as you both will continue to improve and adapt to each other through time. Most importantly, you have to understand improving takes a lot of time and patience. Your skills will develop and improve for sure.

Just give them time. I definitely know first hand how frustrating it can be to feel incredibly stuck, but you just gotta keep playing. Getting bodied is just part of the process. If you focus far too much on winning you may inadvertently hold yourself back...

Helpfully this helps you, and hopefully others will chime in with further advice that may help you too.

Lyrec

Smash Rookie
It definitely gives me a few things I need to work on! I really appreciate it! I also really need a regular rival/partner to train with. I think that would help.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It definitely gives me a few things I need to work on! I really appreciate it! I also really need a regular rival/partner to train with. I think that would help.
Well, if you have Discord I might be able to help with that I think.

I'm in a very small Discord group (Only 9 members but only 3 to 4 of us are regularly active) of Smashers. We smash against eachother frequently and even do rotations as well. Plus we all seem to have different mains which is quite an added bonus.

We're all pretty good smashers and very friendly too. It's worth a shot and you'll always have at least one of us available to Smash when you need. I don't think any of us would mind helping you get better as that is our main goal as well. Just let me know what you want to do and give me your Discord if you decide to. I hope all of us can help you out and give you what you need.

IcySkullSmasher

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1521-8260-1659
can i perhaps join this group you speak of, i'm trying to look for a decent group to join

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
can i perhaps join this group you speak of, i'm trying to look for a decent group to join
Sadly, I'm not quite sure if you'd get much benefit from joining our group given how you seem to be looking for 3DS only. The majority of us play on the Wii U version and I'm not sure how many in that group own the 3DS version aside from one person.

I could try asking in the group if anyone else in it owns the 3DS version too, but it seems ours is more Wii U oriented.

Lyrec

Smash Rookie
Well, if you have Discord I might be able to help with that I think.

I'm in a very small Discord group (Only 9 members but only 3 to 4 of us are regularly active) of Smashers. We smash against eachother frequently and even do rotations as well. Plus we all seem to have different mains which is quite an added bonus.

We're all pretty good smashers and very friendly too. It's worth a shot and you'll always have at least one of us available to Smash when you need. I don't think any of us would mind helping you get better as that is our main goal as well. Just let me know what you want to do and give me your Discord if you decide to. I hope all of us can help you out and give you what you need.
I would absolutely love that! My discord is Lyrec #4232 (anyone else feel free to hit me up for matches as well)
just hit me up and i think that would be pretty awesome

Top Bottom