• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee & Project M Looking for a capture card

SinusStudios

Banned via Warnings
Hi forum, i'm currently looking for a capture card to stream/record at various smash events for Melee and Project M.
I am looking for a device or a combination of components that can record / split (amplify) the PAL's Wii AV connector (composite) with stereo sound (a SCART grabber would probably also work if it is significantly cheaper/easier) with low (not noticable) lag/delay.
After doing some research i read that it is crucial to amplify the signal to get a very improved image quality.
The device should be able to record 60 frames per second in a way that the end result (assuming a good bitrate) can be used to analyze matches frame-by-frame. This means that either the device outputs a progressive 60fps stream or a higher fps interlaced stream where software would be needed to deinterlace to progressive 60fps.
I do not know much about the Wii outputting an interlaced signal or not but it is supposed to output 571i with the composite cable which is used, so the card/device should support a resolution around 480p i guess (more input/info is much appreciated). Lastly the components should optimally be orderable from inside the EU to avoid additional taxes/customs payments. Target recording/streaming software is OpenBroadcaster Studio (latest version) and target TV is an NTSC 60Hz tube tv with an AV input and often SCART input.

As this is my first thread/post on smashboards general feedback is also welcome =)
I hope i could describe what i am looking for ^^

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
I can't say for certain as I have yet to actually take the dive and purchase and record Melee/Brawl but I think the most common Capture card is the Dazzle DVD Recorder HD. It goes for around £50-60 (Apologies if not your currency). I'm personally looking at getting the Elgato Game Capture HD. It goes for twice the price but uses the same software as my Elgato Game Capture HD60 which i use for my Wii U. I'm also only looking to get a second hand one so it halves its price second hand.

Dazzle seems to be the most popular choice though from all the forums and threads I have looked at.

Heres a few links to Amazon UK to the parts:

Elgato Game Capture HD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Cap...ie=UTF8&qid=1467274793&sr=8-2&keywords=elgato

Dazzle DVD Recorder HD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dazzle-DVD...ie=UTF8&qid=1467274962&sr=8-1&keywords=dazzle

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to fire away.

SinusStudios

Banned via Warnings
Thanks for the tipps. Currency is not a problem as long as it is shippable from inside the EU. I was told the Elgato Game Capture HD has quite a few interlacing problems with newer versions of recording software with new Elgato drivers which is a pain to get deinterlaced properly. It is also supposed to be limited at 60fps. The Dazzle seems to be great since it allows 60fps when recording through AmaRec but i still miss the option to split the signal as people are supposed to play on a CRT while recording/streaming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a signature.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
The Dazzle seems to be great since it allows 60fps when recording through AmaRec but i still miss the option to split the signal as people are supposed to play on a CRT while recording/streaming.
I'm pretty sure you are able to record plus play on a CRT at the same time? Unless I am misunderstanding here.

And unfortunately I didn't know about the Elgato issue as this was my definitely preferred option. I will have to take a look into it before I buy one. Cheers for the heads up.

SinusStudios

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure you are able to record plus play on a CRT at the same time?
It only has an a composite/S-Video input, no output...
The signal must be split if not playing on the receiving computer which is not what i am looking for.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
It only has an a composite/S-Video input, no output...
The signal must be split if not playing on the receiving computer which is not what i am looking for.
Yeah I see what you mean now, I believe you can pick up video cables that split the signal for you can't you. Or am I still missing what you need?

I think you need something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290777374739?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hopefully someone else can clarify exactly what you need though.

I'm just hoping I can point you in the right direction. :)

Last edited:

SinusStudios

Banned via Warnings
i finally recieved my dazzle dvc100 and i guess it's working, but i'm having huge problems setting up amarec to display the signal correctly. I'll open up a new thread for that, thanks for the help.
as for the amp, a few fellow smashers also have good amps so we'll just share the resources; i'm directly hooking up my wii to the dazzle atm for testing.
once i get it to work perfectly, it should supply superior quality to the grabbers of the other smashers here who mostly have elgato game capture cards which have unremovable issues and strong interlacing artifacts.

Top Bottom