• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking back...

Booster

Smash Lord
Metal Gear Solid 2 has some pretty ****ty graphics and the lack of a full 3D camera doesn't help. The textures are non-existent, don't get me wrong, this game does have good gameplay and mechanics, it just hasn't aged well.

"They did the best they could with the game" Umm no they didn't, look at Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, made on the same system and it's still the best Metal Gear game. Clearly we got ****ED with Metal Gear Solid 2.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Now you're just making me feel old when you say MGS2's graphics are bad. Graphics are fine.
Full 3D camera has nothing to do with quality of graphics.

MGS3 is pretty, but at the cost of 60 fps.

If anything, it's the gameplay that didn't age as well.

Booster

Smash Lord
Now you're just making me feel old when you say MGS2's graphics are bad. Graphics are fine.
Full 3D camera has nothing to do with quality of graphics.

MGS3 is pretty, but at the cost of 60 fps.

If anything, it's the gameplay that didn't age as well.
I feel old too, I was 6 years old at the time...it looked so much better back then. Now I cringe when I look at the game. I don't need graphics for a game to be good, but if it looks bad enough I can't play it. I like to immerse myself in the world and when the world looks really bad...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I feel old too, I was 6 years old at the time...it looked so much better back then. Now I cringe when I look at the game. I don't need graphics for a game to be good, but if it looks bad enough I can't play it. I like to immerse myself in the world and when the world looks really bad...
I think that point for me is around the N64 era. The well known classics are fine for me, but there's some in that library that shows how badly some 3D titles can age.

Booster

Smash Lord
I think that point for me is around the N64 era. The well known classics are fine for me, but there's some in that library that shows how badly some 3D titles can age.
PS1 has some really poorly aged games too like the original Crash Bandicoot...a 3D Platformer with a lack of analog control? Really? Crash 2 and 3 are fine though cause they have the proper controls. If Crash 1 was 2D no analog would've been fine

Booster

Smash Lord
The Playstation didn't have controllers with analog sticks at that point.
Doesn't change anything it still sucks because of bad control. They should've done what Capcom did with Resident Evil (Can't remember which) and released an analog edition which comes with...toast Analog control

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
You can't criticize a game for not getting a rerelease that takes advantage of new technology.

Also it's weird that you'd cite Resident Evil since even with an analog stick every game in the main series before 4 had terrible controls.

Booster

Smash Lord
You can't criticize a game for not getting a rerelease that takes advantage of new technology.

Also it's weird that you'd cite Resident Evil since even with an analog stick every game in the main series before 4 had terrible controls.
That's because if I posted what I really thought of RE's early controls I'd get infracted on here for being "inappropriate"

finalark

SNORLAX
MGS2 came out in 2001, MGS3 came in out 2004. Of course MGS2 doesn't look as good, the PS2 was brand new and devs hadn't figured out how to take full advantage of the hardware. Despite both being (at one time) Xbox 360 exclusives Gears of War doesn't look as good as Alan Wake because Alan Wake is newer.

And I agree with Minato on this, if anything hasn't aged well about MGS2 its the game play. I tried to replay it this spring and I just couldn't get through it. I got up to where you have to go around disarming the bombs (AND DEFUSIN' HIS SOUL) but the obtuse camera mixed with the clunky controls was just too much for me.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
PS1 has some really poorly aged games too like the original Crash Bandicoot...a 3D Platformer with a lack of analog control? Really? Crash 2 and 3 are fine though cause they have the proper controls. If Crash 1 was 2D no analog would've been fine
Crash is fine though. The level design isn't full/true 3D, so analog wasn't a complete necessity.
MGS2 came out in 2001, MGS3 came in out 2004. Of course MGS2 doesn't look as good, the PS2 was brand new and devs hadn't figured out how to take full advantage of the hardware. Despite both being (at one time) Xbox 360 exclusives Gears of War doesn't look as good as Alan Wake because Alan Wake is newer.

And I agree with Minato on this, if anything hasn't aged well about MGS2 its the game play. I tried to replay it this spring and I just couldn't get through it. I got up to where you have to go around disarming the bombs (AND DEFUSIN' HIS SOUL) but the obtuse camera mixed with the clunky controls was just too much for me.
Thank goodness for OP radars and bad enemy eyesight in MGS2 lol.

I also did not like how firing worked with pressure buttons. When I played MGS3 on a PS3 with BC, it was really difficult to lower the weapon without firing on the sixaxis. I didn't start on my HD playthrough though, so I don't know if the controls were tweaked for the PS3's buttons.

Booster

Smash Lord
Crash is fine though. The level design isn't full/true 3D, so analog wasn't a complete necessity.

Thank goodness for OP radars and bad enemy eyesight in MGS2 lol.

I also did not like how firing worked with pressure buttons. When I played MGS3 on a PS3 with BC, it was really difficult to lower the weapon without firing on the sixaxis. I didn't start on my HD playthrough though, so I don't know if the controls were tweaked for the PS3's buttons.
It's not fine if you have bigass fingers like mine or if you're as impatient as my brother, we both couldn't enjoy the first Crash. It CRASH-ed and burnt for us

Twewy

Smash Lord
MGS2 looks fine, I have to agree with the others in that it's the gameplay that aged. I got to the bomb defusal and lose interest.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You have to remember that Metal Gear Solid 2 was released very early in the system's life (about a year since the console's release). Metal Gear Solid 3 was released three years later during a time Konami really got a grasp of the PS2's hardware. So for what it is, MGS2, while the game hasn't aged well in today's time, was still a visual feast back in 2001.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Not to mention MGS2 did a lot of unique things, no matter how small they are. For example, the ice cubes.

finalark

SNORLAX
The other noteworthy thing MGS2 did back in the day was troll the hell out of the MG fanbase. Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY knew about Raiden. Seriously, props to Konami for somehow keeping that completely under wrap while the game was in development.

Sadly, now the only thing that most people know about MGS2 going into it for the first time is that it doesn't star Snake.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that twist got spoiled for me like three days after the game came out because nerdlords felt the need to complain about it through every possibly medium.

Booster

Smash Lord
Well no matter which part of MGS2 hasn't aged well, we can all agree that it has aged very poorly. The gameplay is not very good, especially aiming your gun, this is worse then aiming in Ride to Hell Retribution. Sure the hit detection is much better, but it's very poor

Twewy

Smash Lord
The gameplay is not very good, especially aiming your gun, this is worse then aiming in Ride to Hell Retribution.
I will beat you up on the playground and take your lunch money if you compare Metal Gear to Ride to Hell again.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
MGS2 is fine, honestly. In terms of both graphics and gameplay. I find it to be a less action-y game than MGS3, but that is, by no means, a bad thing. It's just different! Applying the MGS1 gameplan to PS2 hardware. It's just a stepping stone to bigger things.

I get that some games don't hold up well over time. But I don't think that MGS2 is one of them.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
The PS2 just released in 2001 same year MGS2 came out. They were still learning the consoles true horse power. MGS2 was great.

Top Bottom