• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Long time Yoshi player, curious about combos.

Lazylen

Smash Rookie
I won't waste your time with any of that "I can beat 3 level nines" stuff, because everyone knows that's useless. :\

but I don't get any competition around here to test myself against, and I'd just like to know where to start off again. Brawl is coming quickly, but I'll still be playing melee until I get my hands on it.

I've been playing Yoshi since I got the game (6 years ago :p) and I know the ins and outs of the character. never been to any real tournaments, at the very least recently, and I'd like to know some at least beginner stuff to see where I'm at. I can wave dash & L-cancel, but without anyone really to test it against (aside from my brother, who plays link, and is incredibly predictable, though it gets close once in a while, I've only ever lost legitimately once with Yoshi).

What are some moves that I could be flaunting to get myself better with Yoshi? Any specific combos that I could practice? I can do basic juggling stuff, but I'm lost in videos where they use neutral B (mainly because I hate having it used on me, so I don't use it on others). I need to get the timing down for these things, but I don't really know where to start.

Where's a good starting point?

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Find a technique you enjoy and practice it. My favourite for the longest time was the reverse double jump cancel (or RDJC) and I got really good at spacing around moves with it, which spawned my defensive style of play that carried me through a few tournaments.

I did the same thing with edge eggs and platform dashing. All you need to do is enjoy a technique enough to want to practice it.

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
Hey man you know what i say everyone plays differently everyone has they're own style.Everyone can make they're own combos.I say keep on goin where your goin keep practicin and makin combos that get the job done. And hey about that neutral B thing you should use it as long as you time it right its a great move. Especially cause if u happen to eat an over confident fox at the edge chances are he will drop so fast easy K.O. lol.

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
I wish i could give u some advice but everyone has theyre own way to play.I say just keep doin what your doin try to hit some tourneys to test your skills out if your not doin to hot then ask for some advice. And about the neutral B you should deffinetly try usin it it works well, especially if u happen to catch an over confident fox near the edge he will fall like a rock and free k.o. lol.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
And about the neutral B you should deffinetly try usin it it works well, especially if u happen to catch an over confident fox near the edge he will fall like a rock and free k.o. lol.
Ummm no, sorry that doesnt work, 99% of competitive smashers know how to break out almost instantly.

DJC is a must for any Yoshi imo, especially upair and nair. How to time it is different in every situation, so that comes with experience I guess.

A pretty solid combo that works on alot of characters depending on their %:
bair/ftilt/utilt -> djc uair (repeat till they are too high) -> fullhop fair -> dsmash (if they dont tech)/djc fair (if they tech)

on fox and falco you need to start working with jabs and nairs a lot more from my experience, at least until they get to a bit higher % for the uair juggle. Jabs are great here either to make them stand up (and follow with a downthrow) or just reset them after an utilt.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I agree, DJC is probably one of the most important skills a good Yoshi player has at their disposal. The extra weight bonus can really save you a lot of the time, and can help you tank through some hits to start a counter attack.

Ummm no, sorry that doesnt work, 99% of competitive smashers know how to break out almost instantly.
I don't think egg lay is that bad of a move. As far as people knowing to break out of it instantly, I don't think the point of it is really to rack up damage before they can get out of the egg (but if they don't break out fast enough, then all the better for you right? :p) I never use to use it, but its actually great for some mind games if you get use to it. It's quicker, and has a further range than his throw also. If you think your opponent is going to shield your attack, throw in an egg lay to mess him up, then he'll end up in the air as he pops out of the egg and you can pursue with up airs.

You could try throw a couple jabs and then quickly use egg lay on them, it's always fun getting people trapped in that egg :p

Here's a combo video I really enjoy, it's got all sorts of different combos mixed into it.

S2

Smash Lord
TC if you are serious about getting good, look for players in your area.

Dunno what your age is, but oftentimes Facebook has lots of groups available. Search under your school, most have Smash groups of players who are serious about the game.

You will meet some nubs along the way, but I found a lot of really good players simply via facebook challanges. Its nice to find who local to you.

You can practice your tech skills all you want at home, but mindgames will only come through playing other good players. Just keep in mind that if your playing Yoshi, your mindgames and tech skill need to be good. Cause he can get screwed over very easily if your making a lot of mistakes.

Top Bottom