• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Locks in Smash 4

KanjiGames

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kanji12
Yesterday I got luckily a Code for the Demo and after I had a feel for the Controls I tried some Brawl techniques like RAR, Turnaround-B B-reverse and Wavebouncing.

This and many other stuff worked pretty well so I tried to do a Lock and yeah it seems to work BUT it's more like Combination with the Jab-Reset in Melee (I never played Melee so this could be bull****)
In Melee you can do the Lock only once, right? I alway thought the difference between the Lock and the Jab reset is that you can Lock multiple times, hope I am right.
So in Brawl you can deal more damage und get to a better killpostion like from the middle of the stage near the edge.
After the Lock the opponent is forced to stand up so you can charge a Smash or whatever.
In Smash 4 it seems you can hit/lock multible times but you have a Limitation of 3
I tried lock an opponent off a Plattform and continue after that. It was possible but you can't make 2Jabs on the plattform and then continue with 3 more Jabs becouse you only have 1 left so the limitation doesn't seem to reset.

Yeah I hope this isn't complete bull**** because my CPU's are just stupid or something xD
And if someone with the full Game maybe could test this it would be really nice.
And Sorry for my random bad English xDD

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
afaik, your grasp of what jab-resets vs. locks are seems fine lol.

When you say that there is a limitation of 3 hits/locks, are you trying to say that each character is limited to three jabs before they start their multi-jab combo that hits the opponent away? Or does the opponent simply become invulnerable to any further hits to continue the lock after 3 hits. (in a similar fashion to how chain-grabs are now limited by making opponents invincible to grab for 60 frames after the previous throw)

If yes to the first question, then that's easily solved by using jab-cancelling. In order to jab-cancel, jab once or twice, press down, and then repeat; instead of finishing the full jab combo, it will restart after you press down. So if you're playing say...Falco, who has a 3-part jab combo (1st single hit - 2nd single hit - 3rd many hits), you can do 1st single hit, 2nd single hit, down, 1st single hit, 2nd single hit, down, etc. Ike makes use of this heavily in Brawl, and is probably the easiest char to youtube search for and find examples in any decent match. Alternatively, you could swap between jab and another attack that can lock...in which case you may not need jab at all (:falco: huhu)

If yes to the second question, then I'm sure that - like the new mechanic limiting the use of chain-grabs that I mentioned - it can be avoided via alternating between 2+ attacks/moves for the lock, and/or by taking longer than a supposed time limit (like the 1 second grab limitation). Otherwise, this wouldn't be possible.

Last edited:

KanjiGames

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kanji12
It's more like the second.
The 4th Jab will still hit but doesn't continue the lock.
In the Video are definitely more then 3 (lock) hits in 1 Combo there must be a way to avoid this like in the Infinite. The Question is how.
I think the Key in this Infinite is the D-Smash to Footstool. I'm not sure it could be that the Game thinks after the D-Smash The Lock is over and resets the limit.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
It's more like the second.
The 4th Jab will still hit but doesn't continue the lock.
In the Video are definitely more then 3 (lock) hits in 1 Combo there must be a way to avoid this like in the Infinite. The Question is how.
I think the Key in this Infinite is the D-Smash to Footstool. I'm not sure it could be that the Game thinks after the D-Smash The Lock is over and resets the limit.
The key with that infinite is that the opponent resets to standing. Jab locks for more than 3 hits are impossible as the fourth hit will simply reset them like in Melee. But once they're standing, the rebound counter is reset.

Top Bottom