• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lloyd Irving for DLC! Even a small star shines in the darkness.

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers

"Dwarven Vow #1: Let's all work together for the sake of a peaceful world."
Character
Who is Lloyd?

Lloyd Irving is the main character from Tales of Symphonia an RPG released on the Gamecube in 2003, and one of the main characters in the sequel Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World released on the wii in 2008. He is a young man who lived in the outskirts of a peaceful village of Iselia. He was soon exiled from the village after it was raided by the neighboring desian ranch, and he then decided too accompany one of his best friends Collete ("the chosen") on the journey of world regeneration.

What does Loyd do?

What does Lloyd do that sets him apart? Quite simply the main thing that sets Lloyd apart from all other characters in
the current Smash Bros. roster is that he dual wields swords. He also boasts a large range "artes" he learns as part of his fighting style in ToS that can easily be translated into a unique move-set, as will be discussed later.

Why Lloyd?

Lloyd would be a good candidate for Smash Bros. as it could inspire public interest in the "Tales of" series to those who have never played/heard of the series (much like Fire Emblem or Mother series have done via Smash). It could also help relations between Nintendo and Tales of Studios in Namco, potentially reviving interest in releasing more upcoming "Tales of" Games on Nintendo consoles (like they were in the ages of the GBA and Wii). Last but not least, Lloyd offers a very unique and fitting fighting style that fans and those who have yet to experienced the series yet to enjoy.

Arguments

Isn't he third party?

Where no one can deny that Lloyd and the "Tales of" series is third party, traditionally Lloyd and Tales of have been close to Nintendo and it would be good to see them back to those days. Tales of Symphonia the first "Tales of" game released in the west was also originally released on the Gamecube. With speculation of Ryu now being playable has shown that it is also possible to see that more third party character are indeed possible.

Do we really want ANOTHER sword fighter!?

What differs Lloyd from every other sword fighter in the game right off the bat is that he dual wields (with the exception of Pit and Dark Pit who only utilize their "swords" in a small portion of their moves)! The dual wielding swords mechanic can offer a large variety of attacks and specials. He also wields an "exsphere" which in Tales of Symphonia acts as a power amplifier allowing him super human powers including incredible jump and magical barriers.

Is he Recognisable enough?

Where the "Tales of" series wouldn't be granted legendary status in the video game industry it has a very strong cult following and is one of the biggest RPG series. Why choose Lloyd over any other Tales of Character is because he is the most recognisable of the Tales of heroes as he was the poster boy for the Tales of series reaching the west. Not all characters in Smash are instantly recognisable to non-video game players such as Marth, Shulk and Ness are the main characters in their respective series. Now with DLC giving potential to lesser known characters this is Lloyds best chance of appearing.

Gameplay

Movesets

Neutral B - Demon FangDemon fang launches a small wave along the ground that travels for a set distance or until it hits a wall/ledge/opponent.

Up B - Rising Falcon
Rising Falcon allows Lloyd to leap high in the air (dealing no damage) but if you press the button again he will fire down at an angle dealing heavy damage but making it more difficult to recover and putting him into free-fall.

Side B - Tiger Blade
Tiger Blade see's Lloyd do a small leap into the air using his swords as a heavy slash and then coming crashing back to the floor doing a similar strike.

Down B - Guardian
Guardian creates a small barrier around Lloyd that stays briefly around him reflecting any projectiles sent his way, and also making him invulnerable to explosions like Din's Fire and PK Flash.

Jab - Sword Rain
Lloyd thrusts his swords in a violent flurry of stabs, when released releases one final powerful thrust. A very quick and punishing jab, but poor ending lag leaves Lloyd completely open from behind.

Dash - Sonic Thrust
Lloyd lunges with a sword held in front of him, a very far reaching dash attack with a small wind box at the tip.

Neutral Air - Tempest
Lloyd holds his swords out on either side of him and does a mid air roll slashing all around him, can be pressed 3 times in a row to do a continuous flurry of slices, but this will send him into free fall!

Final Smash - Falcon's Crest
Lloyd leaps high in the air and channels energy into his two swords creating a large sword that crashes into the ground releasing a massive burst of energy!

Victory Taunts

• Lloyd Holds his exsphere close to his heart and looks up into the air and says "Mom, I hope you were watching..."

• Lloyd throws his sword in the air catching them and spinning them around putting them into their holsters saying one of his victory quotes from the battles in Tales of Symphonia. (like Shulk the quote can vary).

• Lloyd points one of his blades at the screen and shouts "Dwarven Vow #7: Goodness and love will always win."
Stats

Lloyd would potentially have bellow average running speed, with a similar weight to Marth, but due his exsphere he would have superior double jump compared to most fighters he would be up against. His attacks are generally quick and fast linking but with limited directional options and poor ending lag.

Miscellaneous

- Lloyds Death would trigger a sound clip of him painfully whispering "I'm sorry... dad..."
- Lloyd's rolls would not be a roll, rather him do a small hop forward or back as he dodges in the game.

- Lloyd would be seen wielding his Material blades
- Lloyd's icon

@ Formaldehyde Formaldehyde [/USER] [/USER]
@ A AdeptArcanist

Please feel free to support and make any suggestions you may have, with your help we can make this possible!
Dwarven Vow # 16 You can do anything if you try.​

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll support, of course. Loves me some Tales of and Lloyd would be very fun in Smash.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Here's a good trailer idea for my part:
Like Lucas' trailer with Ness, Pac-Man is getting beaten up by his opponents one by one whilst a piano rendition of "It is Sad" plays. Then as Link is about to finish Pac up, Lloyd Irving attacks saving him. Does that sound good or does it more bits/description?

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
@ TheWolfBunny TheWolfBunny I like the idea it's certainly a good start but I think if you fleshed it out more it would be better, I also feel Lloyd should say one of his infinitely quotable lines while he comes in to save the day.

AdeptArcanist

Smash Rookie
As a huge fan of Tales of Symphonia, I'm totally in - however, I'd like to point out that Lloyd hates Dwarven Vow #7. How about, say, Dwarven Vow #13 - "You can do anything if you try"?

Also, while Lloyd is my second favourite DLC possibility here, may I present the possibility of Colette? While she's a tad less recognizable than Lloyd, between her Chakrams, her Angel Spells, and Pow Hammer/Para Ball, I feel like she actually has potential to have one of the more interesting movesets in Smash.

Last edited:

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
As a huge fan of Tales of Symphonia, I'm totally in - however, I'd like to point out that Lloyd hates Dwarven Vow #7. How about, say, Dwarven Vow #13 - "You can do anything if you try"?

Also, while Lloyd is my second favourite DLC possibility here, may I present the possibility of Colette? While she's a tad less recognizable than Lloyd, between her Chakrams, her Angel Spells, and Pow Hammer/Para Ball, I feel like she actually has potential to have one of the more interesting movesets in Smash.
Yeah, I know that he hates the phrase, and I understand that it doesn't really represent his character 100%, I just chose it because it's arguably the most recognizable Dwarven vow , but any of them could work, thanks for the feedback!

Oh that would be equally as great, again sided on Lloyd do to recognizably but Collete would be great. She has a great moveset potential and I would definitive play her.

Top Bottom