• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live-Action Speed Racer Movie

smashman90

Smash Lord
Movie Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO2jcwgIi8o

For those of you who don't know what speed racer is, please look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer

Wikipedia link to the film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer_(film)

Release Date: May 9, 2008

Cast:
Emile Hirsch- Speed Racer
John Goodman and Susan Sarandon- Speed's parents
Christina Ricci- Trixie(Speed's gf)
Scott Porter- Rex Racer(Speed's older brother)
Matthew Fox- Racer X

Plot: Speed Racer (Emile Hirsch) is a young man who has natural racing instincts whose goal is to win The Crucible, a cross-country rally that took the life of his older brother, Rex Racer (Scott Porter). Speed is loyal to the family business, run by his parents Pops (John Goodman) and Mom (Susan Sarandon), with Pops responsible for designing Speed's vehicle, Mach 5. The owner of Royalton Industries (Roger Allam) makes Speed a lucrative offer, and Speed rejects it, angering the owner. Speed also uncovers a secret that top corporate interests, including Royalton, are fixing some of the biggest races to gain profit. With the offer to Speed denied, Royalton seeks to ensure that Speed will not win any major races. Speed finds support from his parents and his girlfriend Trixie (Christina Ricci) and enters The Crucible in a partnership with his one-time rival, Racer X (Matthew Fox), seeking to rescue his family's business and the sport itself.

Hollywood has officially ***-***** a part of my childhood. This looks so god-awful, although I can't help but love John Goodman's mustache:p.

I'll leave you guys to grieve.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Well, it is gonna be directed by the Wachowski brothers, so it could still be decent. V for Vendetta was pretty good after all.

My only problem is the graphics, which look like crap. If they fix that, then everything should be fine. Oh, and they talk too slow. They need to be speaking so fast that I can barely understand what's going on (just like in the cartoon!).

Besides, how can it possible be bad when it has John Goodman playing Speed Racer's father? That's like the perfect casting choice!

Yoshi

Smash Lord
After seeing the trailer, I have almost no hope for this movie. Granted, I will see this on the big screen, I'm not expecting much. The show from way-back-when was pretty good, and the Dexter's Labatory parody was absolutely amazing... but again, not expecting much. The fact they have Rex Racer and Speed Racer X cast as two different people alone shows that the movie is not staying to the shows plot; however it can be open to say the movie will take place in two different times, young Speed Racer than older Speed Racer... who knows?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Speed's father: You think you can drive a car, and change the world? It doesn't work like that!

Speed: Maybe not, *dramatic pause*, but it's the only thing I know how to do and I gotta do something.

What the ****. Worst dramatic line ever.

You guys don't worry, even if this movie is bad, we still have the live action "Dragon Ball" movie that's gonna be good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_(franchise)#Live_action_film

It IS gonna be good, right? RIGHT?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This looks as bad as Transformers. Seriously, Hollywood, I liked Smurfs when I was 5 as well as GI Joe, why not release those live action movies all at once and end my childhood.

Emile Hirsch is the worst choice for Speed Racer and NONE of them talk fast. That was the cliche part of Speed Racer.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
This looks as bad as Transformers. Seriously, Hollywood, I liked Smurfs when I was 5 as well as GI Joe, why not release those live action movies all at once and end my childhood.
Smurfs may very well have a 3D movie soon, released stateside or not is another question.

And GI Joe seems most likely candidate for next Hollywood's **** list.

Bailey

Smash Hero

How can a movie ruin your childhood. By the way you are talking about any new movie you seem like a child still turning down any new thing to you. Holy crap is it that hard to just be quiet.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
How can a movie ruin your childhood. By the way you are talking about any new movie you seem like a child still turning down any new thing to you. Holy crap is it that hard to just be quiet.
****ty movies like Transformers and this one, take my last memory of those shows, and skew them with this garbage. And I can say pretty much whatever I want about a movie, I don't have to just take it, like you seem to do.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
****ty movies like Transformers and this one, take my last memory of those shows, and skew them with this garbage. And I can say pretty much whatever I want about a movie, I don't have to just take it, like you seem to do.
I honestly have to agree...

This movie looks like a Spy Kids flick! I mean, the good name of Speed Racer has been spoiled by those blasted Westerners...

Curse you, Hollywood! Curse you!

And if this is the Speed Racer, I'd hate to see the new Dragonball movie by 20th Century Fox...

Justin Chatwin as Goku? Biggest. WTF. Ever.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
I thought it looked cool. I'm gonna see it, and if it sucks oh well. These movies aren't made to please hardcore fans, they're made to make money. If anything, maybe people will check out all the old speed racer stuff after seeing the movie and bring more attention to how awesome it is.

Top Bottom