• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac's Buffered K.O. Punch Brings Terror From The Skies

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I actually have a lot of problems landing that KO punch. This will make it a lot easier, I'm so glad to have seen this :D great find!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Mac's getting easier and easier to deal with as time goes on. He takes the record for the fastest kill I've ever gotten. I've killed a poor Mac user at 38%. Not having recovery is a huge downfall... especially when you know the Mac is going to dash at you, try a quick hit, roll back twice, dash at you again, rinse and repeat.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Mac's getting easier and easier to deal with as time goes on. He takes the record for the fastest kill I've ever gotten. I've killed a poor Mac user at 38%. Not having recovery is a huge downfall... especially when you know the Mac is going to dash at you, try a quick hit, roll back twice, dash at you again, rinse and repeat.
I've had a Little Mac match last about 45 seconds... they didn't even SD on purpose, just spammed side-b like a fool.

MAz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0318-9105-2451
:denzel:pfftt. Mac still aint nothing lol........

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Wait wait wait.....
I tested this out, and suffice to say ironically, this is absolutely NOT new to me. This is due to the fact that with me using Little Mac a lot, I can vividly remember a match where I caused it by accident. I didn't know it was a buffered aerial KO Uppercut, though.

But no, it's...it's not new to me. The one person in this entire thread who pretty much knew this existed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wait wait wait.....
I tested this out, and suffice to say ironically, this is absolutely NOT new to me. This is due to the fact that with me using Little Mac a lot, I can vividly remember a match where I caused it by accident. I didn't know it was a buffered aerial KO Uppercut, though.

But no, it's...it's not new to me. The one person in this entire thread who pretty much knew this existed.
If you caused it but didn't know how to do it, then who cares whether or not you've seen it before? I've done the air dash within the first couple days of the 3DS version's release, but I didn't know what caused it or that it could be used in tandem with the air start-up with ground hitboxes. What matters is how to apply it.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Great find! This just moved Little Mac from a F to an E.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
If you caused it but didn't know how to do it, then who cares whether or not you've seen it before? I've done the air dash within the first couple days of the 3DS version's release, but I didn't know what caused it or that it could be used in tandem with the air start-up with ground hitboxes. What matters is how to apply it.
I swear I couldn't make out what it was in 1.0.3, and disregarded it to focus on learning Link and Ganondorf more and more, because I stopped playing Mac for a while.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Rolled my eyes hard at this one. OHKO punch is already an idiotic concept on its own.

inb4 Mac fanboys scream "salt"

Congrats to the finder, sharp eyes.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I've had a Little Mac match last about 45 seconds... they didn't even SD on purpose, just spammed side-b like a fool.
Thats whats so funny about Macs. Get even a nice F-tilt or grab and he's a goner even at low percents. His game is literally hit and run because that's really all he can do. Camp the edge of the stage and you'll have him freaking out. I had one guy quit mid-match on me because he realized I saw through every one of Mac's weaknesses (staying by the edge, blocking like crazy to punish, etc.)
Rolled my eyes hard at this one. OHKO punch is already an idiotic concept on its own.
Mac honestly needs it though. Its bad enough he's basically a free kill after 50%. At least Mac can actually get a free kill as well.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
All this worry about patches, and the article just below this one talked about how 1.0.4 is the last patch.

I lol'd.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Really good Macs are still tough, but as a Samus main....it just isn't even fair....I have soooooooooOOOOO many options to deny pressure.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
And with that, Little Mac just became the No. 1 pick again. :laugh:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
am I the only one that likes brawl ;___;
Brawl was fun, but as far as Sakurai goes there's no doubt it was his middle finger to the competitive community. Tripping was intentionally put in to screw with competitive play, and he said he only wanted brawl to be played casually. Even if you liked brawl as a competitive game, it was easy to see what Sakurai's intentions were. I liked brawl too though! Just not as much...

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I do not see this as a competitive technique other than a recovery tactic. It has absolutely no use as an attack for the following reasons:

1) It will go too far to even do anything if you use it close to an opponent, making a huge whiff and recovery animation.
2) The aerial attack is poor to hit anyways; better to hit with the grounded one instead. The aerial deals 12% damage and almost no knockback on characters with 20% damage.
3) It sends you far, which works as recovery. And thanks to it not sending you to a helpless state, there's big change to recover.

So no, if the buffered attack has great recovery tactics and poor offensive tactics, I think it's safe to assume it's a party trick or a recovery technique.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I do not see this as a competitive technique other than a recovery tactic. It has absolutely no use as an attack for the following reasons:

1) It will go too far to even do anything if you use it close to an opponent, making a huge whiff and recovery animation.
2) The aerial attack is poor to hit anyways; better to hit with the grounded one instead. The aerial deals 12% damage and almost no knockback on characters with 20% damage.
3) It sends you far, which works as recovery. And thanks to it not sending you to a helpless state, there's big change to recover.

So no, if the buffered attack has great recovery tactics and poor offensive tactics, I think it's safe to assume it's a party trick or a recovery technique.
If you need to hit someone directly beneath you/nearby, you could just fastfall and do an aerial KO Punch without buffering it. No dash forward. The mere fact that Mac has this flexibility only expands (and significantly so) the number of situations in which you could reasonably land a KO Punch. It creates a great area of space in which the opponent must respect for fear of getting bopped, which should help significantly with getting out from a potential juggle situation as well as creating pressure in neutral with a KO Punch stocked.

If you watch the video, it makes a point of showing that a KO Punch started in the air has full grounded damage and knockback as long as Little Mac has landed on the ground by the time the KO Punch connects. It comes out on Frame 9, and landing before using it would also cause jump landing lag (2-4 frames, depending on the height of your fall), so that's a good bit of time where you can attack in advance that you couldn't do otherwise.

A buffered aerial KO Punch doesn't send you as far as a Forward-B, and you cannot grab the ledge immediately afterward, so it's not good for traditional recovery; it's only good for getting off the ledge (or avoiding the ledge altogether) in that respect.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
This was actually the focus of the video. Did you watch it?

Demie Duken

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemieDuken
3DS FC
3136-7415-2711
Mac can use all the not-being-terribly-designed he can get.
I'm curious as to what you mean. Care to elaborate on that?

On topic though, my brother uses Mac almost religiously and even he somehow knew this apparent tech, even if it was by accident. Even so, he can't ever get into a situation where it can be used in the air, so he sticks with the regular. Still, little nice things to know and how you use them.

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Surely tech = technique? This is a technique.

I don't know where you're coming from with this.

And coming from someone who has no liking of Little Mac, I like this. Gives the match-up a little more spice than just "hang around at edge and bthrow + aerial".
I think you'd want to do that regardless, since Mac is unquestionably dominant in center stage.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
See this is why i don't like this game, theres ground breaking mechanics that only a few characters can use, at least in melee most of the ground breaking techs like Wavedashing, L-canceling, etc. were able to be used by each character, and then after that each character had there own specific techs that you had to learn to learn the character you wanted to play. BUT THOSE CHARACTER SPECIFIC TECHS WERE NOT A ****ING KO PUNCH ASHGAOSDGFHAUFIHSWEF

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Could someone please explain what "buffering" is?

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
As long as I can touch Mac in inappropriate places, I will be fine with this. My favorite inappropriate place is magically touching his butt as Zelda before Bthrowing him to his death. Butt touches of death. 2hot2dangerous.

Top Bottom