• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Playstyle Impressions Thread

Une

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree at all with the assertion that his attacks aren't strong. I'm not sure what footage you've been watching, but from the footage I've seen Little Mac is able to consistently kill people onstage at below 100% which very few other characters can say they're able to do. I honestly don't see how anyone can come to the conclusion that he isn't strong when he has overall some of the most reliable kill moves in the game and despite his combo game not being all that strong, he has the necessary tools to rack up damage quickly (namely FTilt and jab).

I also don't agree that he will automatically be terrible against characters with a strong air game. Infact against a character like Jigglypuff I think he'll destroy her onstage. He has the tools to combat her short hop approaches, most notably his USmash as it not only kills her really early but also has armour to eat up any poorly spaced approach. Infact a lot of your argument is under the assumption that you can only combat the air game with the air game which isn't true at all. If you have strong ground anti airs (which Mac very much does) it's not as bad as one may think.

In addition, the combination of speed and armour functions as a remedy for his overall poor range. Moves like his FTilt and even his low angled FSmash, which are safe on block if spaced correctly, are good examples of this.

Now his weaknesses are definitely huge. He struggles immensely if he's put into the air, only really having his counter and air dodge as ways to get out. His offstage game is non existent and his recovery is probably the worst in the history of the series. However, to say the character doesn't have any strong points is just plain incorrect. The long term question of course is how much can his current strengths offset his current weaknesses, and how far can players willing to commit to him really take him? We'll have to wait and see.

In the mean time however, I'd recommend watching this set that was uploaded literally today on D1's channel. KelVindictive is the Little Mac player (or @ksizl4life here). He wins every single match he plays: http://www.twitch.tv/d1mx/b/569142898
lel is dash then roll backwards the new dashdance or something?

Last edited:

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
lel is dash then roll backwards the new dashdance or something?
From what I've played locally, certain characters have an incredibly fast and safe roll, so this can kinda be used to a 'similar' effect. Obviously you are much more limited in how you can move spacing wise, but with Mac's far reaching lunge moves that shouldn't be AS much of an issue.

It's no dashdance, that much is obvious. It is definitely a movement option to consider, however.

Top Bottom