• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, is he truly to be feared by Smash Players?

JAK21

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone,

So the one thing I am noticing reading smash news online is how people are wanting them to pretty much nurf Little Mac in smash as people feel he is so over powered. I know when I was first playing online through the 3DS version of the game, I use to dred doing an online match against little mac, but never because he was overpowered.

Reports according to creator of game, show that Little Mac has the highest losing percentage out of any character in the game, across both the 3DS and Wii U version of the game!

Now that the Wii U version of the game has come out I have played a lot of little mac and I love playing as him, but I do find he is not over powered and is rather weak. His up+B recovery isn't the best, you need to pretty much be close enough to the edge or it is end game even trying. Also his left/right+B can act as a instant suicide if you miss or somehow use it around the middle of a stage. I do like his dodge as it is quick and effective, and most of his moves do work.

I also find when you get the K.O. power it is not like it use to be when the game first released on Wii U last Friday.

What are everyones personal thoughts on Little Mac? Do you find him over powered, weak and fear to play against him?

Looking forward to seeing what the replies entail.

SwineofWar

Smash Rookie
By the KO punch being "Not what it used to be" what do you mean?

To answer your question, I think Little Mac is alright as he is. I've played plenty of him and the only thing I really dislike is how short his side B is in the air after the latest patch, but that's fine.

I mean, if I get launched with Mac I'm generally dead anyway.

Last edited:

JAK21

Smash Cadet
Well I use to find like you would hit them with the KO and it would send them flying out of the stage removing a stock. But last night for example, myself and a friend were playing and he was at 44%, I smoked him with the KO and he barely lifted off the ground.

Just doesn't seem like it was on the 3DS or when the game came out on wiiU last week

JAK21

Smash Cadet
Well and that is the thing, I was planted firmly on the grount, I like dashed then hit him and still just raised them up a little.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Little mac was only dominating me when I was a noob... But now everyone has a way to defeat him... My way is projectile spam.

JAK21

Smash Cadet
Ahh the good ol projectile spam, it is true that is one of the best ways to defeat mac, or just dodge like crazy!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
KO Punch hasn't been nerfed. Either you were in the air, or hit with the weird flub hitbox after the move's main active frames were already over.

JAK21

Smash Cadet
KO Punch hasn't been nerfed. Either you were in the air, or hit with the weird flub hitbox after the move's main active frames were already over.
That makes a lot more sense, I most likely did hit the weird glub hitbox, because my feet were planted to that ground hard.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Mac isn't anything to be feared by Smash players, his airgame is horrible, his recovery is horrible, and a good player can beat him easily if the other player doesn't know precisely what they're doing. Thats not to say Mac is a bad character, but he's definitely no noobs character.

JAK21

Smash Cadet
Mac isn't anything to be feared by Smash players, his airgame is horrible, his recovery is horrible, and a good player can beat him easily if the other player doesn't know precisely what they're doing. Thats not to say Mac is a bad character, but he's definitely no noobs character.
Those are thing's I have learned playing as little mac, especially like the dash punches, I find those effective if you can time them right, you then can get someone in the air, but once you try to fight in the air you barely can land anything. I don't know I like him as a character but think he has more weaknesses then strength

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Those are thing's I have learned playing as little mac, especially like the dash punches, I find those effective if you can time them right, you then can get someone in the air, but once you try to fight in the air you barely can land anything. I don't know I like him as a character but think he has more weaknesses then strength
Not entirely true, he has a lot of strengths that balance him out as well.

Super Armor, Extreme Amounts of damage, and speed. He just honestly doesn't do well in the air.

Notably though, thats also why he's not a Noob character. Most characters can be played in the air, Mac can't, you have to learn how to survive characters assaults from the air, and counter appropriately, while keeping up an A+++ Ground game.

but yeah.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Hey everyone,

So the one thing I am noticing reading smash news online is how people are wanting them to pretty much nurf Little Mac in smash as people feel he is so over powered. I know when I was first playing online through the 3DS version of the game, I use to dred doing an online match against little mac, but never because he was overpowered.

Reports according to creator of game, show that Little Mac has the highest losing percentage out of any character in the game, across both the 3DS and Wii U version of the game!

Now that the Wii U version of the game has come out I have played a lot of little mac and I love playing as him, but I do find he is not over powered and is rather weak. His up+B recovery isn't the best, you need to pretty much be close enough to the edge or it is end game even trying. Also his left/right+B can act as a instant suicide if you miss or somehow use it around the middle of a stage. I do like his dodge as it is quick and effective, and most of his moves do work.

I also find when you get the K.O. power it is not like it use to be when the game first released on Wii U last Friday.

What are everyones personal thoughts on Little Mac? Do you find him over powered, weak and fear to play against him?

Looking forward to seeing what the replies entail.
See, the thing about losing percentages is that they can be misleading. A character can lose a ton and yet still win a ton as well, get what I'm saying? I think people think he's OP because his ground game is ridiculous and a good Little Mac's not gonna let you get him in the air at all costs. Personally, I guess it depends on the day and what character I'm using. If I'm using a character is the good grabs with good aerials and I can land the grabs plus having a good day, then yes, I tend to dominate. But on bad days or when I'm using a character not equipped to deal with LM in terms of grabs and aerials, I have a rough time and generally lose.

D

Deleted member

It depends on the character. If you use a projectile based character such as MegaMan, it can be an easy win as Little Mac is very close range (you could say his standard B is long-range, but you have a large window to see it coming and you can block it), however using a close-range character with no projectiles like Marth, it'll take some serious skill to take out Little Mac.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
Little Mac isn't any more of a threat than say, Captain Falcon is. People may indicate his speed, but Falcon is faster on the ground AND in the air. People may indicate his strength, but I'm sure Falcon matches that well. People may indicate his super armor, but this is matched by the fact that Falcon can probably sneak air attacks or grab combos. The people who say Little Mac is OP are often the players who aren't very good at the game(in fact, I haven't seen a good player call him OP) and just can't accept an honest defeat.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
Little Macs matchups are all over the place. Several matchups make approaching the ledge dangerous since he can die as early as 60% in a game where 120% is the average kill. However since Little Mac gets kill potential at 80-100% and has lots of moves with little lag he can destroy matchups he's ahead in.

Results wise tournaments have him in mid tier in the first few months. I think it's also very clear he's a risky character with a high skill cap. I don't feel he's high tier material at the moment but if the meta shifts to favor a different set of high tier characters I could see Mac being a big threat.

As is though, I reserve him as a destructive counter pick. Most matchups are 40-60 or 60-40 so skill can go a long way

Top Bottom