• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac buffs (More than I expected)

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
So last night I was looking through videos for hours to see what changes were made for our new game.

I've been a long time Little Mac main and did very decently in the tournament scene despite Little Mac's glaring weaknesses, and here's what I found through obsessive searching through the available videos.

Sideb doesn't go into freefall anymore, you can do any action including jump and upb afterwards. You also won't be killing yourself onstage with it anymore.

Down throw is a legitimate combo tool. It looks to have a set knockback regardless of percent. Even at 90% it will lead into guaranteed upsmash (not sweetspotted) or possibly uptilt, not 100% sure what is guaranteed but throws are actually a good option for him now. Guaranteed KO punch?

KO punch has him reaching upwards very high and if the hitbox is like his new animation, we will be comboing into this at higher percents and we could be KO punching people on battlefield's lower platforms underneath!!

Aerial KO punch is a better recovery option now.

Neutral B can be turned around on release, and I JUST saw this but you can cancel this move with shield! This is huge!

Canceling a dash with tilts and smash attacks are a new feature in this game. Combined with a better overall dash dance mechanic...and this is crazy for him.

Mac is going to be scary. They are really serious about balancing this time.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Down throw is a legitimate combo tool. It looks to have a set knockback regardless of percent. Even at 90% it will lead into guaranteed upsmash (not sweetspotted) or possibly uptilt, not 100% sure what is guaranteed but throws are actually a good option for him now. Guaranteed KO punch?
i would like to see the video you saw this from. if true then that's huge (that is if they made mac's grab not garbage lol)

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBM09wj8xwE

Look here and...

https://youtu.be/HdxzVswUeFw

Here.

They both show that mac has a very low downthrow, and in the video vs. Donkey kong, he was at 90% and he was still able to connect upsmash from the set knockback. I'm not sure where the hitstun ends on downthrow, but the Little Mac trailer showed a connecting upsmash after downthrow as well. There would be no reason to have set knockback on downthrow if it wasn't used for gauranteed followups. KO Punch would probably connect as well, especially with that rediculous height on it. Looking back upsmash might not be gauranteed but it's low enough to where something should connect.

Last edited:

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
that first video shows nothing, we have no indication of percent, and it looks like mario would have approximately 8 years to react.

https://youtu.be/HdxzVswUeFw?t=75
in the second video donkey kong very clearly has time to react, and actually does a nair but gets super armored.

No, this is not a "legitimate" combo throw.
No, it absolutely does not lead to a guaranteed up smash, very unlikely leads to up tilt, or ko punch. Maybe up b? Maybe.
But yes, it does look slightly better than before... at that one percent against donkey kong at least.

Top Bottom