• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Smash 4 grievances with potential solutions

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
The magic word is: patches. It's too soon to demand Nintendo patch out the things we as a competitive community don't like, and any outcry wouldn't be taken seriously until some time has passed after the Wii U release.

Some people are completely satisfied with the game and how it plays. Lucky them! I wish i could feel the same. But I feel like the game can be vastly improved when the time comes if the community pushes a well thought out list of changes.

The concerns, minor and major (WIP):

• Approach options: The ones we have are limited. We have dashing, pivoting, grabbing, rolling, jumping, etc. but they are all limited by a defensive playstyle. Approaches can be buffed by some type of Melee-esque dash dancing, which I believe doesn't detract gameplay experience from a casual player's perspective.
  • Blast zones: Too big with the way that vector influence works. Makes the game frustrating to play at a higher level. More on stages later.
  • Rolling: It can be argued that this is too safe an option to approach or evade. The main attitude of the subject is surrounded by the lag from For Glory mode, making it hard to punish effectively. I would say to not change it, because I feel that in time, people might adjust to it.
  • Shield Stun: Another touchy one like rolling. I would like shields nerfed, but at the same time it's a matter of adjusting, meaning don't throw laggy moves on shielding opponents in this game.
  • Stages: Hopefully not a concern in the Wii U version, but on 3DS the competitive community got shafted on "legal" stages. Some stages designs seem completely fine, except for maybe one or two hazards that become major disruptions. I've heard that All-Star mode has hazardless versions of stages are already in the game, but we aren't able to choose them in multiplayer. An improbable solution, but a solution nonetheless would be an Alpha mode along with Omega mode. The Alpha mode could be the removal of stage hazards or transformations.
  • For Glory: The problem with FG is that Nintendo over-exaggerated the role of Final Destination in true (traditional) competitive play. If there was a way for a player-chosen rotation of non-Omega stages to be added to the current rotation of Omega maps to give it more variety.
  • Equipment: There's been discussion of the side effects of equipment, such as Smooth Lander, etc. that might be desirable for tournament play. The problem is that every piece of equipment affects character stats. I can see this being fixed in a couple ways: by having special side-effects of equipment separated from the actual stat-changing equipment, or maybe even a Special Smash option, like a "Turbo Mode" with Smooth Lander enabled for all characters by default.
From the top of my head, these are what I believe can be adjusted in due time to tweak the game for better competitive play, without affecting the casual fanbase in a negative way.

What are some more concerns that the competitive community might have?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I agree with pretty much everything on the list. However, I don't see the equipment thing happening. There's no point. Especially when the game hasn't been balanced with Smooth Lander in mind, so they'd have to re-balance the entire cast. They might as well just make some sort of competitive mode or expansion pack for the Wii U version with high-level play in mind, which of course would include much more fast-paced gameplay, more hitstun and maybe some older Melee mechanics, so long as the game still differentiates itself enough from that game gameplay-wise and isn't a Melee 2.0. We already got that lol (Project M).

However, keep in mind that Sakurai would be pretty reluctant to allow things that enhance competitive play with his current mindset. On the other hand, the fixes to FG as suggested would be very much appreciated. I just hope that Ninty doesn't go full on derp and give us a "battefield" mode with 3 fixed platforms per stage.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This doesn't belong in the competitive forum so I've moved it to the 3DS forum. Please do not turn this into a flame/flame bait discussion, otherwise it shall automatically be locked.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
This doesn't belong in the competitive forum so I've moved it to the 3DS forum. Please do not turn this into a flame/flame bait discussion, otherwise it shall automatically be locked.
Why not? There's tons of reasons why it does. The main focus of the OP is on competitive smash.

AshBoomstick

Smash Cadet
NNID
klinechur
3DS FC
2809-7728-1923
My only wish to be patched is more lag between air dodges and tweak counters cause they are way to effective to spam

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i wanted it in the competitive forum for a reason, but that's your call

i really doubt it will turn into a flamed discussion because i'm asking for possible solutions to the things people might see as problematic instead of going "gaem is bad ffs kthxbai".

when people have good points, i will add them to OP

My only wish to be patched is more lag between air dodges and tweak counters cause they are way to effective to spam
i think this is primarily because of the unavoidable latency in For Glory and the mechanic itself might not need changing. have you played local wireless with people spamming things? i don't have too hard of a time dealing with that. i think the bigger flaw was that a lot of characters kind of received counters because they ran out of ideas for down specials.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
i think this is primarily because of the unavoidable latency in For Glory and the mechanic itself might not need changing. have you played local wireless with people spamming things? i don't have too hard of a time dealing with that. i think the bigger flaw was that a lot of characters kind of received counters because they ran out of ideas for down specials.
It made plenty of sense for Shulk though. At least with him being able to predict the future and whatnot.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
yeah i agree same with little mac and his feint or whatever it's called. i think Greninja could've used a different down special.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I don't know about anyone else but I get punished a lot for rolling. Maybe I'm not doing it right or something, but it's definitely made me cut down the amount of shielding in general in matches.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
oh i thought of another thing. powershielding is incredibly inconsistent in this game, like i don't understand.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Although I love your ideas to help improve the game, you have to keep in mind that this game is played by both casuals and competitive players. Sakurai probably won't cater just to what one side wants without thinking of the casuals. Remember, competitive players aren't the only ones that play this

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Although I love your ideas to help improve the game, you have to keep in mind that this game is played by both casuals and competitive players. Sakurai probably won't cater just to what one side wants without thinking of the casuals. Remember, competitive players aren't the only ones that play this
right. not only that, but i think that Sakurai is unlikely to make accomadations for things like stage tweaks, etc. because he reportedly stacked out the 3DS cartridge and didn't have room to even allow circle pad pro functionality.

which is unfortunate

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
  • Stages: I've heard that All-Star mode has hazardless versions of stages are already in the game, but we aren't able to choose them in multiplayer. An improbable solution, but a solution nonetheless would be an Alpha mode along with Omega mode. The Alpha mode could be the removal of stage hazards or transformations.
I honestly thought this was what Omega mode was going to be when it was first announced and was very disappointed to find out they literally meant Final Destination mode. While I think the stages aren't quite as irritating as most of the ones in Brawl, I would love an Alpha mode like you described.

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
right. not only that, but i think that Sakurai is unlikely to make accomadations for things like stage tweaks, etc. because he reportedly stacked out the 3DS cartridge and didn't have room to even allow circle pad pro functionality.

which is unfortunate
No, Circle Pad Pro functionality is left out because the 3DS needs CPU overhead to use the IR port and allow you to use the extra buttons and Circle Pad.
The New 3DS has a beefier CPU and the new buttons + C-stick are built right in, so it uses less CPU overhead and the New 3DS can spare the tiny bit of extra CPU to allow the buttons to be usable.

Top Bottom