• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Advantages P:M has over Brawl

Fortress

Smash Master
One is a good game and the other is trash?
As much as I prefer Project M from a competitive and serious standpoint, I wouldn't call Brawl trash. It's a crazy-fun, wacky, and explody-everywhere kind of frantic fighter that we'd expect from the series. No matter what we as individual players of varying skill levels and dedication to the game may think, Brawl went in as Brawl, with a different direction in mind from Melee, and accomplished it very well. It was the game that the development team wanted, and it can still be a blast for some casual fun time.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
As much as I prefer Project M from a competitive and serious standpoint, I wouldn't call Brawl trash. It's a crazy-fun, wacky, and explody-everywhere kind of frantic fighter that we'd expect from the series. No matter what we as individual players of varying skill levels and dedication to the game may think, Brawl went in as Brawl, with a different direction in mind from Melee, and accomplished it very well. It was the game that the development team wanted, and it can still be a blast for some casual fun time.
technically Melee was supposed to be like brawl, everything competitive about it was just a mistake by sakurai. So technically, Melee is a buggy mess, a beautiful buggy mess. I still agree with you, but I just wanted to point that out.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
technically Melee was supposed to be like brawl, everything competitive about it was just a mistake by sakurai. So technically, Melee is a buggy mess, a beautiful buggy mess. I still agree with you, but I just wanted to point that out.

That's a dumb myth. The fundamentals ATs of Melee/PM (L-cancelling, wavedashing, and shorthop+fastfaling) were all put in by Sakurai.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I want to thank everyone for their advice.

The event was a great success. I attracted a lot of attention and even started a "Project M gathering" once a week to get people more interested and to keep the party going.

For the record, this is the flyer I ended up making:
Advantages of Project M

*No Random Tripping
-In order to make the game more competitive and balanced, obscure elements such as random tripping are removed.

*Redesigned Characters
-Many of the characters have been redesigned to be more powerful, unique, or interesting. Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are now their own unique champions with new special moves. For example, Charizard can now perform Seismic Toss, and Ivysaur can perform Solar Beam.

*A Balanced Cast
-All characters have been redesigned from the ground up to be more balanced with one another. No characters are obviously more powerful than the others as they were before, and no characters are nearly useless.

*Input Delay Removed
-Through an extensive modding process, the creators of Project M have removed the inherent input delay (2-4) frames that were present in vanilla Brawl. While playing Project M, expect more responsive gameplay.

*Fast-paced gameplay
-Prepare to be pushed to your limits! Everything is faster in Project M.

*Increased combo potential
-Hitstun has been increased, which gives each player the ability to execute a greater variety of epic and exciting combos on their opponent. More combo potential opens up an entirely new set of options for each character.

*New and Improved Stages
-In addition to improving many of the stages that were already there, Project M adds many new stages, including some of the classic favorites such as Saffron City and Hyrule Temple.

*New Characters
-Prepare for all new characters that weren't even present in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. In the next official version, the Melee Characters Roy and Mewtwo will be making their exciting appearance!
Notice how I conveniently left out that there are missing characters ;p

Few people complained about that however, and most people loved the game overall. We can't wait for 3.0!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That's a dumb myth. The fundamentals ATs of Melee/PM (L-cancelling, wavedashing, and shorthop+fastfaling) were all put in by Sakurai.
Well you probably got that fron an issue of Nintendo Power that had an interview with him (it was after a little after Brawl's release), or off the internet or something. While I don't have the issue anymore, when asked about wavedashing I clearly remember he said that he knew you could wavedash, but he didn't say he consciously implemented it, he said he discovered it by playtesting. So he didn't intend it to exist, but he left wavedashing in Melee anyway to see how fans would use it.

Can somebody find the actual quote fron the NP issue though? I feel like I'm walking on thin ice, but I said what I said because that's what I remember.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The developers were aware of wavedashing. It was an intended consequence to address the issue of characters falling through the floor when air dodging. What they didn't expect was for it be used to the extent it was.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
The developers were aware of wavedashing. It was an intended consequence to address the issue of characters falling through the floor when air dodging. What they didn't expect was for it be used to the extent it was.
Oh all right. I do remember that it was discovered when someone in the Melee days tried to airdodge near a fall-through platform, so if it was implemented by the developers as you say then it makes perfect sense.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Alright, I want to thank everyone for their advice.

The event was a great success. I attracted a lot of attention and even started a "Project M gathering" once a week to get people more interested and to keep the party going.

For the record, this is the flyer I ended up making:

Notice how I conveniently left out that there are missing characters ;p

Few people complained about that however, and most people loved the game overall. We can't wait for 3.0!
Input lag is actually 0-2 frames

Top Bottom