• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-ups: Export #8: Mr. Game and Watch

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Match-up #8: Mr. Game and Watch

Link vs Mr. Game and Watch
40:60 Mr. Game and Watch
The 2-D man is slightly difficult when you first fight him, but after you learn his moves and how they work this match-up, while still a disadvantage, is a lot easier to deal with.

Mr. Game and Watch is a beast in the air. His floaty nature combined with his aerials is something Link needs to watch-out for. There are some things that should be considered in this MU. You can SDI out of Mr. Game and Watches Bair, this means if you smash you control sticks out of towards him you can pop out and punish it. His key, while Uair is laggy on start up it will beat it everytime. Beware of his Fair, it will be the main method used to gimp Link and it can be very effective.

Camp him when you can, Chef won't be able to stop Link's arrows boomerang and bombs all day. His bucket is useless vs Link except to bucket break, Mr. Game and Watch's momentum cancel.

On the ground Link doesn't do that bad, disjointed attacks help keep Mr. Game and Watch out. Many people find themselves getting caught up with Mr. Game and Watch's Dthrow, you can tech it. Listen to Mr. Game and Watch's beeps when he's about to throw you, once you hear the fifth beep tech at that moment.

Stage wise stay away from Rainbow Cruise, Japes, and Frigate. Stick to Norfair, Final Destination, and Brinstar.
Important posts:

Lawz, he has a point, even though he is still wrong.

Link doesn't kill until the hundreds, regularly. However, when he hits, he hits hard. Most of his moves and pseudo combos do anywhere from 10-60%. Several good hits mean the opponent is going to be in KO percentages.
Other characters tend to kill and gimp at lower percentages, but Link can knock an opponent up to his KO range just as quickly.
This is going to be about one of the rarest times I'll post here.

60:40 or 55:45 at the lowest.

Link actually does fairly well against G&W. Bucket is useless aganist our projectiles and Zair pretty much destroys GnW from approaching. Though that's still not going to keep G&W at bay forever, once he gets in close you're going to get punished, alot. A2ZOMG G&W can't kill us fairly easy than you say, regular Link's with good DI can survive to the 140% now if you're facing one of the top Link's like Deva or Arkive than it goes up to like 180%. Sure G&W can DI pretty good though remember he's one the lightest characters in the game.

Anyways overall G&W is high tier, Link is not, that's about the only reason why it's not even or in Link's favor other than his recovery.

Edit: But seriously go back to the Mario boards son.

Edit2: OMG Camalange I <3 u
Mr. Game and Watch mains:

Coming from a GnW that plays with Deva all the time, I'd say the matchup leans more toward 65:35. Deva has agreed that it's probably that with me in person. I'd CP what I said on the AiB matchup thread but the site's down. >_>

EDIT: Also, A2, you severely underestimate Link's kill potential vs GnW. I rarely live past 130-140ish against Deva, the problem for Link for the most part isn't getting GnW to high enough percent, it's landing the kill moves.
Uair does almost consistently beat key, it's hard to set up though due to how slow and weird the move comes out >_>
Dang, I thought A2 was only stupid when it came to Ike. (lol Ike only having a 55-45 advantage over Falcon)

Why is anyone taking this guy seriously?

I use G&W as a secondary. Just by looking at both characters it's plainly obvious that it's not something crazy like 65-35 G&W. The projectiles do cause a problem for G&W, you'd be foolish to deny it. Link does have good KOing moves, particularly against a light weighter like G&W. Dsmash anyone, particularly when set up by jab? Ftilt? Even with bucket breaking, it puts G&W in a position to get pop shotted the whole way down by bombs, or gives Link a chance to reset the situation onstage. G&W doesn't like disjointed attacks, and while Link doesn't have as much range on his as say Marth or Ike, it's still disjointed.

If I were you guys Link boards, I'd place the joker on the "ignore" list. You're simply wasting your breath here.
Stages:

*Lightly talked about*

Most of it was telling people one person was wrong on the MU so I took the posts that talked about it more.

Good job on this one.

Top Bottom