• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match Up, Stage Counterpicks, And Bans Discussion #2 - Samus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Yet Marth is still high tier.

You can make up for bad or mediocre recoveries, Link can with his good projectile game, long range, and good KO potential. His recovery is a weakness for being bad, thats all.

I know your taking about Samus know, but this, this really stuck out to me.
That means we need more emphasis on stage control. We can do this with projectiles, but so can Samus. It's almost like a priority war.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Yet Marth is still high tier.

You can make up for bad or mediocre recoveries, Link can with his good projectile game, long range, and good KO potential. His recovery is a weakness for being bad, thats all.

I know your taking about Samus know, but this, this really stuck out to me.
Marth's recovery is SO much better then Link's. It's faster and reaches higher whereas Link's is slow and doesn't go anywhere at all. Gimping Marth requires more precise timing then gimping Link. Link's recovery is also one that requires DI to move it in a certain direction, a simple tap from most characters on your first recovery attempt can severely hinder the left or right movement you'll get in your second attempt whereas Marth's is a simple UpB that will get the same left or right movement EVERY TIME. The example for this would be Ganon's reverse Uair, Link will not recover from this, Marth very much can recover from this. You run the risk of being stage spiked if you try and gimp during his UpB.

Marth also has the option of using his fully charged shield breaker as a recovery from above since it has AMAZING horizontal distance.

Marth in fact has a VERY good recovery and recovery options among other things that make him the 6th best character in game, Top Tier by the first Tier List's placings.

Here's an example. The Link/Marth match-up is considered to be 60:40 in Marth's favor. Link does a very good job of keeping Marth out with his projectiles and Zair and can KO Marth very early thanks to his light weight and Link's good KO potential. So why is this match up in Marth's favor then? Because if he gets you offstage at ANY percent and hits you further off with a few Fair's, you're dead. You're not coming back. If Marth get's through your projectiles (Which he can easily do since his Fair beats 2/3 of your projectiles.) he can very easily tear your to shreds with his quick close combat game, force you offstage and gimp you at very low %'s.

If you notice Link, for a majority of the game, has to camp to really do anything. Very rarely will you see a Link rushing in on his opponent because of his lacking close combat game compared to other characters and if you screw up when you get close it can result in loss of a stock, Link is the fastest free faller in the game which makes him very easy to combo and because of his TERRIBLE recovery will not make it back a majority of the time. If this way Marth he'd have a much easier time recovering because his recovery is faster and reaches higher creating a small window of opportunity to gimp him. Marth also has a few ways of getting offstage opponent away from him, most noticeably his Fair. Link has a few, but using these at the wrong time, even with your double jump saved, can result in your death because of your bad recovery, this rarely happens with Marth and a lot of other characters. Tether is a horrible recovery option due to it only being able to latch onto the ledge, so don't bring it up.

If an opponent can shut down Link's projectile game then Link really has very little chance of doing anything, let alone winning.

Link is a BAD CHARACTER and this is coming from a person who uses him in tournaments. You're recovery isn't just bad, it's REALLY REALLY bad. The only person you might have a better recovery then is Ganondorf.

kirin ..explain how deva beats eggz then ..a guy known to be 1 of the best wut ?? mario!!
Umm..I'm pretty sure this is Brawl we're talking about..I've never seen recent videos of Deva's Link playing Eggz Mario. I don't even know if Eggz even plays Mario in Brawl.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
This is getting extremely off topic. -- Good idea for thread, I'll see if anyone actually wants to work on this and keep it updated.

This ones outdated, and the way its being handled could be better. (eg; Having its own thread for all discussions, like most discussions do)

ps:

Marth's recovery > Link's recovery

I'm making a recovery tier list.

Marth can just drift, he doesn't really need to charge his B. That's a waste of time, while it does shoot you forward its not really... helpful....

Link's recovery is THE worst recovery in the game IMO. Ganon at least has 2 recovery options, 1 SD's and grabs the opponent, the other can stage spike pretty easily and has good priority. It also doesn't have that weird "get tapped with something weak and it loses all horizontal distance" thing that Link gets.

---Snip thread here---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom