• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Hitbubbles (Includes Video and Gallery)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Here's a video showing Link's hitbubbles!

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wb5amTV1fuc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wb5amTV1fuc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

In order, here are the moves that are shown:

Jab Combo
Dash Attack
Ftilt
Utilt
Dtilt
Fsmash Hit 1 and 2
Usmash
Dsmash

Under 100% Ledge attack
Over 100% Ledge attack
Front Get Up Attack
Back Get Up Attack

Nair
Fair
Bair
Uair
Dair
Zair

Grab
Pivot Grab
Up B
Aerial Up B

Notes

• Projectiles don't show.
  • All of this was recorded in 1/4 speed training mode.
  • Missing dash grab.
Hitbubble Gallery

Jab 1:​

Jab 2:

Jab 3:

Dash Attack:

Ftilt:

Utilt:

Dtilt:

Dtilt Spike:

Fsmash 1:

Fsmash 2:

Usmash 1:

Usmash 2:

Usmash 3:

Dsmash 1:

Dsmash 2:

Ledge Under 100 percent:

Ledge Over 100 percent:

Front Get Up Attack 1:

Front Get Up Attack 2:

Back Get Up Attack 1:

Back Get Up Attack 2:

Nair:

Fair 1:

Fair 2:

Bair 1:

Bair 2:

Dair:

Uair

Zair:

Grab:

Up B:

Aerial Up B

Notes

• Missing Get Up Attacks, Pivot Grab, Dash Grab
  • Alot of the multi hitbox moves such as Usmash, Up B moves are messy
  • Going to add a video of the spike happening in action.
I plan on retaking some of the pics again since they're quite messy. I may redo the vid once I learn of a better way to do it.

Link's moves have pretty big hitbubbles.

His Dash Grab, Pivot and Standing grab are pretty much the same, so I think that's why I skipped them but I'll add them in next time.

Watching the vid you see Nair flash twice, first one is the strong hit while the second is the weaker one. I thought seeing that was pretty cool :cool:

If you guys have any suggestions/tips/missed anything/mistakes/ let me know.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So pivot grabbing and dash grabbing with Link is pretty much just adding frame to his already slow grab.
Dash then shield and rotate the control stick down diagonally (to slide spotdodge). Or dash then press 'shield' and 'C' left/right while holding the dash direction on the control stick to buffer a grab from a shield dash. They slide like running grabs or pivot grabs depending on if the player angles 'C' forwards or backwards. If the slide is from shield canceling and they register as standing grabs we would get the same pivot/dash grab effect faster:

Standing Grab:
Frame 11: Catch collisions out: 8 frame duration.
Frame 85: End of animation.

Running Grab:
Frame 13: Catch collisions out: 8 frame duration.
Frame 95: End of animation.

Pivot Grab:
Frame 14: Catch collisions out: 7 frame duration.
Frame 95: End of animation.

@ Scabe:
Can you confirm my theory with that program? Do you have hurtbox data?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nah I don't have hurtbox data :(, so is the catch collision the hitbubble that's really close to Link?

So does that mean his grab is really 8 frames but it takes 11 frames to fully reach?

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Standing grabs start on frame 11 and are in effect for 8 frames, 11-19. Pivot and running grabs are a little worse. I was wondering if your program has frame data; if we could shield cancel standing grabs from dashes they would slide and look exactly like pivot or dash grabs but have 10 frames less end lag. Do you have a way to see if shield canceling registers as a standing grab?

Technically, the collision is when the tether connects then there's a quick recoil before the opponent is 'grabbed'. Link can be hit between the collision and grab which breaks the process but the opponent can't move once 'caught'. The body hitbubble stays in place for the 8 frames and grabs out of the air. The claw bubble moves forward during those frames that's why characters can roll or jump through the grab when it's in effect.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
^Standing grabs start on frame 11 and are in effect for 8 frames, 11-19. Pivot and running grabs are a little worse. I was wondering if your program has frame data; if we could shield cancel standing grabs from dashes they would slide and look exactly like pivot or dash grabs but have 10 frames less end lag. Do you have a way to see if shield canceling registers as a standing grab?
Play as a character who has a gross animation difference in the standing and dash grabs. Try doing it with Marth, since this tech is already indispensable for him.

Shield cancel dashes into a grab.

When you are consistently getting the standing grab, you'll know what the timing has to be.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ So it does count as a standing grab:). One way to time it is, with a gamecube controller 'C' set to smash, dash>shield+'C' left or right will grab with the right timing. Normally shield>'C' left/Right activates a roll dodge and dash>'C'= dash attack. 'C' backwards from dash shield canceling also turns the character as they standing grab and slide backwards. Cool, thanks:bee:!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
^ So it does count as a standing grab:). One way to time it is, with a gamecube controller 'C' set to smash, dash>shield+'C' left or right will grab with the right timing. Normally shield>'C' left/Right activates a roll dodge and dash>'C'= dash attack. 'C' backwards from dash shield canceling also turns the character as they standing grab and slide backwards. Cool, thanks:bee:!

No, that last one is a pivot grab.

Apparently, the input is relaxed, so that you can put in the Shield and the Attack at different times, and still get it interpreted as a Shield+Attack (Grab) in tandem with the Reverse input for the pivot grab.
You just have to have the Reverse no later than both the button inputs, and the last input close enough to the other two.

This is the only time you can reverse something out of a shield.

You know you can do this with Boost Grab techs, right? As Fox or Falco, dash, dash attack (with C or A), and interrupt the dash attack with Back+Shield. You'll get a boost pivot grab, drawing on the same momentum effects as DACUS.

... and sadly, no, it doesn't look like Link can get a significant boost grab, it appears just because Sakurai put the friction levels for his grab animation so high (unlike that of his USmash, or ftilt).

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
What's really annoying is when a character like Peach is just floating right above the ground, and the hookshot goes right through her as she *****slaps you because you can't technically grab her "out of the air."

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Wich is also why Bowser is so good against Peach float, cause it wil count as an arial forwaird B when bowser grabs peach out of her float with forwaird B wich is justt his best move next to grounded fortress.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm wondering if I should keep the images that small where you can click them to see their real size, or just post the real image sizes.

What do you guys prefer?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I say small too. If they're big it's all cluttered up.

I really like ftilt, and I'm not sure why. Not in terms of how good it is (although in the right situations it's great), it just appeals to me. Dunno why. I think it looks cooler than fsmash I guess.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I agree Ftilt does look cooler than Fsmash. :laugh:

I love how enormous some of his aerials are. Like Back air and Fair. O.O

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
One thing I've noticed is that Link's nair actually has surprising range behind and slightly below him, like a little underneath where his knee is. In a pinch it's a nice thing to know.

Top Bottom