• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's bombs and Splode's list of Bomb tricks

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm SPLODE of the Mushroom Kingdom crew (aka mushroom kings) and I have many bomb tricks and mind games for link users. If you have some of your own, get em up in here. I myself have done some thing with bombs that, well, I haven't herd of and would like to know if others have herd of them and such. Most of these are not for serious tourney play.

Heres my list of a few lil tricks... I will hopefully get a few vids up of them working/in use eventually if people cant seem to do them/get a grasp of how they are useful in average play/friendlies.

STUFF POSTED HERE IS NOT NESSESARILY NEW IN ANY WAY, NOR DO I TAKE CREDIT FOR MOVES ALREADY KNOWN, AND I ONLY GIVE CREDIT TO PEOPLE FOR POSTING IT UP, NOT FOR "CREATING" IT, CAUSE MOST HAVE BEEN SEEN B4.

Throwing the bomb up(a good mind game.)
1)Bomb throw.
After throwing the bomb up, grab, and either up, or down throw, depending on how much time you have before the bomb hits down. This some times disorients the opponent and gives some time to open up combo's.
2)Second bomb.
Pick out a second bomb and throw it in time to catch the first. This is a useful mind game because the may think you are going for a bomb throw. You can then throw the first or use it to cancel an upB. or even hold on to it... bombs tend to save my lives, but they can also end them.
3)Attack.
After its thrown up, they might be expecting a bomb throw or second bomb, so you can then rush and attack. If you have time you can even re-catch the bomb and make use of it.
4)Explosion cancel.
Pull out a second bomb and throw it down when the first bomb is near links hat. If timed right, both of the bombs will collide, and neither will explode. Both will then be sitting on the ground next to you. This works best on FD, or maps that will not lead to your first bomb moving. This is rarely useful in active combat, I myself use it as a taunt and a little bit of a shield/detraction for when they respawn.

In the air/Kill prevention.
1) Slow drop.
In the air press Z to slow drop the bomb, this can help give you some space to avoid areal attacks, or you may even hit it if you get smashed... Theres a little chance of that happening, but it dose happen sometimes... Think peaches bomb-bomb, or luigi's exploding head butt. It happens. As noted by NekoNoBaka13, this can also be a usefull mind game if used correctly. In my experience, dropping and re-catching often confuses opponents to some extent
2)Holding it.
A)Sometimes when you have the bomb in hand and are smashed, the bomb will drop, and both you and your smashing opponent will get hit by the blast. You will no longer have any inertia and will not fly away. But will have taken damage from the smash.
B)If you are far away from the ledge and happen to have a bomb, it can save you. use link's upB and try to get as close to the stage as possible. If you time this right, the bomb will explode after your upB and will give you the opportunity to either upB again, or throw a boomerang so that you can hookshot back onto the stage. Seldom happens, but it can save you.
3)Sitting it down.
A)You can sit the bomb down on a platform by pressing Z in the air when half of links body is in the platform, when jumping on to it from under it. This can be used as a distraction, and if need be, you can always grab it by jumping next to it and tapping Z lightly, thus picking it back up.
B)You can also set it down on flat ground, such as FD, with out having to do the explosion cancel. After you have a bomb in hand, short hop, and right before you just touch the ground, press Z. If timed correctly, the bomb will just sit there on the ground, available for pick up, if need be. If not timed correctly the bomb will fall and explode, or you will shield.
The GERM was using a variation of this trick in one of his video's to prevent a marth from getting the ledge. (He did it before I posted this obviously)

Boomerang.
1)Returning bomb.
After a boomerang is thrown, pull out a bomb, and throw it into the returning boomerang when it is close to returning. If timed correctly the bomb will bounce off and return in your direction. This not only confuses people sometimes, but on cornerea, if someone is waiting down under the fin, and you are on top, you can time this to drop a bomb right on them, rather than expose yourself to attack.
LOL, i actually managed to hit someone with the bomb before it came back to hit me. It was a jigglypuff, and he was mighty close, and My bomb came back and sploded him :D, that just wins!

Pretty stuff/Misc.
1)Hookshotting a bomb
This is basically just a taunt. pull out a bomb, double jump high as you can, throw the bomb by just tapping A, then air dodge in place (not moving in any direction) and hookshot. if you dont air dodge, the timing will be off and you will miss every time.
2)Bomb to the wall
This only happen to me once. I threw a bomb down at a recovering roy on FD. The bomb hit him into the wall, and spiked him down. It was one of the prettiest things I have seen.
3)Explosive taunt
This is just taunting the opponent by exploding in some way or another. I like just throwing a bomb down. You can also throw a bomb up and down areal it, or N-air. What ever you like most. I like this because, well, I am splode... and I asplode ;D
4)Fireworks
Another taunt in which you throw a bomb up and when it gets close enough, up tilt A and, if timed correctly, will explode above you without dealing you any damage.

Bomb-Bomb.(A little side note... But hey, a bomb-bomb is a bomb too...)
After you have a bomb-bomb in your hand, you can set it down again. Using the same principles as #3 Part B of In air/Kill prevention, the bomb-bomb will then start walking away from you, and you will be in a shield for 1-2 seconds. it will explode usually before it has a chance to get near you again.

This is the list of what I know... as far as I can think of right now for all the bomb tricks I use. But when it comes down to the damage link's bomb does, from what I have noticed, it goes down like this.

Bomb Damages.
1)Fuse-1-2%
Thats when you see them burn, but the bomb doesn't explode.
2)Falling/Areal Bomb-3-5%
This is when u use such tricks as Bomb Throw, or Holding.
3)Thrown lightly-3-5%
When u just tilt or stand idle and press A.
4)Thrown hard-10-13%
This is when you smash trow a bomb or press downB after a bomb is already out.

If these are new, give the credit to yours truly. The red, bomb crazy link, Splode.

More tricks Stuff ppl submit.

(AS POSTED BY) NekoNoBaka13

Reflect and grab
Most players will simply block a bomb, but it will bounce and float up a little bit... so dont run, keep going, grab the bomb, and use it quickly. They won't know what hit them. It's very effective against Fox and Falco's reflectors too. Or, grab the bomb as it comes back, then run up and spin. They usually don't expect it the first couple times.

Bomb Jump
You don't have to wait for the bomb to blow up in your hand to get more air jumps. It's difficult, but if you throw the bomb up, and Up-B into it, it can blow you up, so you can Up-B again. I've practiced it a lot, and I still dont have it down. You have to come at the bomb slightly from the side. You can see it in Germ's Linkology video.

NekoNoBaka13

Smash Rookie
More tricks

I got a couple more tricks with bombs. I'm a link player myself.

Reflect and grab
Most players will simply block a bomb, but it will bounce and float up a little bit... so dont run, keep going, grab the bomb, and use it quickly. They won't know what hit them. It's very effective against Fox and Falco's reflectors too. Or, grab the bomb as it comes back, then run up and spin. They usually don't expect it the first couple times.

Bomb Jump
You don't have to wait for the bomb to blow up in your hand to get more air jumps. It's difficult, but if you throw the bomb up, and Up-B into it, it can blow you up, so you can Up-B again. I've practiced it a lot, and I still dont have it down. You have to come at the bomb slightly from the side. You can see it in Germ's Linkology video.

You listed the aerial bomb drop as a mostly defensive move, but I think it's useful for offense as well. Great for mind games.

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman

Reflect and grab

Bomb Jump

You listed the aerial bomb drop as a mostly defensive move, but I think it's useful for offense as well. Great for mind games.
good Sh*t. ;D

Demoyoshi

Smash Cadet
about the bomb recovery, i manage to do this once a game, "when needed" , so its really rare for me to make it work, almost like samus swd. can someone who is pro on this count the time between the explode and the bomb throw?

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
i remember seeing someware the time is 5 seconds, but for some reason it seems to jump around a little from about 4-6. some times it seems like it takes for ever, and others its way early, but i think the time is 5 seconds. ill update when i find the exact time. ;D ty.

KantanerX

Smash Rookie
From experience while learning Link's bomb recovery, I found it was easier to allow yourself to fall 6 o'clock with no momentum, and up-b will fly right into it. The bomb recovery saves my life several times, however I seldom live from edge guarders :p

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
From experience while learning Link's bomb recovery, I found it was easier to allow yourself to fall 6 o'clock with no momentum, and up-b will fly right into it. The bomb recovery saves my life several times, however I seldom live from edge guarders :p
I was thinking of a way around this, and well, what if you trow a boomerange toward the stage and then air dodge and sweet spot... is that posible? i dont have enough knowledge about bomb jumping to know if this will work or not... hmm, ill try it out next time i get to play.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I have a trick, I'm a Link user too! If someone reflects a bomb you threw and it's coming back, they may try to charge you. Throw a bomerang at it and it will explode or just sit there. They will take damage and you have some time to charge them and attack to unleash some serious combos. I've used it agaist some opponents.

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
well... hmm,, when u say reflect, u mean a fox or falco? or like a powershield?.. hmm, i dont really see that as a trick though, it seems more like... hmm, i would actually segest recatching and throwing instantly while they have no idea whats going on. and that will most likely hit them. Check out what NekoNoBaka13 posted.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
NekoNoBaka13's move is a lot easier, thanks. Have you ever thrown a bomb at a bomb that was shielded? It works well against slow charectors like Ganondorf(but only CPU's). The bomb bounces off their shield, the other bomb hits it, they float in the air and they walk into it. I did this five times against a leval nine Ganondorf on FD. It did 16-20 damage. It probably would work on Bowser too, but not on someone like Marth(who's fast). I doubt it would work on real people because they would not walk into it like a dumb CPU. I usually just throw the boomerang and then a bomb or have a bomb out just in case I get hit really far. Hmmmm... I wonder if you got hit with a home run bat and a bomb you had blew up while you were flying. Would it stop you or would you keep flying?

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
well, yea i have, its in a combo vid i made thats, well, of me like 2-3 years ago, i have gotten a lot better since then but yea, never think something will work on ppl that works on comps. i would catch the bomb with ganon and throw it right in your face... anyways, the vid is in the videos section of my crews site, www.mushroomkings.com
the site is far from ready, but hey, it has some stuff on it.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of a way around this, and well, what if you trow a boomerange toward the stage and then air dodge and sweet spot... is that posible?.
i'm assuming your question refers to when you're hit off the stage, while facing away from the stage. of course using the rang to turn yourself towards the stage for the hook-shot is possible, but usually not a good idea; it's animation has much lag. for a quick turn around, throw a bomb instead--sometimes you'll have one in hand already, and sometimes you'll need to pull one out.

...can someone who is pro on this count the time between the explode and the bomb throw?
it's not neccessary to try to time the bomb's explosion. "why?" you ask. because the spin-attack will cause it to explode.

...I found it was easier to allow yourself to fall 6 o'clock with no momentum, and up-b will fly right into it.
im guessing that you practice the bomb-recovery by jumping off the stage. if so, stop; it's not practical. of course its easier if you're falling straight down, because you don't have to worry about DIing back into the bomb. you need to practice the bomb-recovery while coming back to the stage.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
When you're holding a bomb and someone attacks your sheild you can jump and drop the bomb quickly... sometimes a healthy alternative to a shield grab anyway, cause the bomb can bounce on their shield and cause them to move. And sometimes you hit them with the bomb, and you can (albeit hard) do an air move almost instantly after dropping.

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
tHrilla' i was talking about after a bomb jump, do you think you would have time, or if it was practical to use boomerang hookshot. i think its a bad idea now tho.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
tHrilla' i was talking about after a bomb jump, do you think you would have time, or if it was practical to use boomerang hookshot. i think its a bad idea now tho.
you should know that by positioning yourself differently just before the bomb hits, you can control the outcome. meaning, if you want, you can still be facing the stage even after the bomb explodes. however, i don't feel like explaining it right now. use the search button.

d0od

Smash Rookie

Reflect and grab

Bomb Jump

For the bomb jump trick, you need to not be in Fast fall, you throw it up normally, not in smash throw, then right after you do your Up-B (hint : Center Yourself so you won't miss the bomb. I also call it the "4th jump since" it's allowing to continue after your third jump. Very useful.

And for anyone who want to see the designed video about "The Germ's Linkology" the link is here

Enjoy!!!

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
meh, what ever... ill just pass on that technique
lol...and you say you want to improve. anyway, all you have to do is DI back more so that the bomb explodes in front of your face, rather than behind your head. if done correctly, you'll still be facing the stage for a hook-shot attempt.

For the bomb jump trick, you need to not be in Fast fall...
not true. you can fast-fall and still do the bomb recovery.

...you throw it up normally, not in smash throw...
when in the air, there's no difference between a smash throw and a normal throw. on the ground, however, there is.

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
>< when i was talking about technique i was talking about the whole hookshotting afterwards... i will try bomb jumping, i just think that the boomerang hookshot thing wont work like i hope, so ill pass on that for now.

d0od

Smash Rookie
not true. you can fast-fall and still do the bomb recovery.

when in the air, there's no difference between a smash throw and a normal throw. on the ground, however, there is.
I'd be curious about the fast-fall bomb jump. Because when i try, it never work.

I'm sorry to contradict you but, in the air, there is a difference in smash/normal throw. Just try and when you hear link yelling, it means that you've smashed it!

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
I'd be curious about the fast-fall bomb jump. Because when i try, it never work.

I'm sorry to contradict you but, in the air, there is a difference in smash/normal throw. Just try and when you hear link yelling, it means that you've smashed it!
lol...nub. trust me, you can fast-fall while using the bomb-recovery. and, once again, there is no difference of length between a smash throw and normal throw when in the air. don't speak if you don't know what you're talking about.

and akagoodguy. re-read what i posted earlier. you don't get it yet. and i already told you that your rang idea is not a good one and why.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
._. kay, yea, the lag from pulling out a bomb and throwing it is SO much less than a boomerang... ><
i think we had a misunderstanding. regarding the bomb-recovery, pulling out a bomb, nor throwing the rang, after successfully colliding into the initial bomb, is not an option; you either up-b again, or hook-shot.

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
right, i thought that the blow from the bomb would prevent you from bieng able to hookshot, amybe at a high percent, that all i was talking about.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
right, i thought that the blow from the bomb would prevent you from bieng able to hookshot, amybe at a high percent, that all i was talking about.
one word: wiggle
once your damage reaches around 40%, the stun from your bomb will cause you to go into a tumbling animation, during which you will not be able to use the hook-shot. however, you can easily "wiggle" out of the tumble and regain control, thus allowing for a hook-shot attempt. lol...just repeatedly tap left and right on the control stick to wiggle. sometimes i don't know why i take the time to write these.

Supiddo

Smash Apprentice
im a link user to. how about if you throw a bomb at fox or falco and they deflect it making it bounce up you quickly shoot an arrow at the bomb making it blow up in their faces

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
i am a serious link main, probably like several of you in here :)

BOMB JUMP TIMING: follow this and you can pull it off nearly every time :cool:

1. have a bomb in ur hand. i know, duh.

2. use your second jump in the air. be in freefall; when link is falling down as fast as he normally does *NOT FASTFALL*

3. strong throw the bomb straight upward, *make sure it is a STRONG throw, like the difference between a smash attack and an uptilt*

4. about 1/3 to 1/2 a second later, roughly 20 - 30 frames, use the B-UP recovery spin attack. this timing may seem awkward and too fast at first.

5. try to time the B-UP so that the bomb is between links forehead and his back shoulder during the FINAL swipe. this will send you upward.

6. from this point, you can either B-UP straight again for maximum height, or try to hookshot to a wall. if you are turned around, try to fire an arrow to turn yourself quickly around.

hope this helps. happy bomb jumping!!!

ANOTHER TRICK I LIKE

air throw from ground- if you forward throw a bomb right before link lands, he does the airthrow while standing on the ground. you know that you did it correctly if the bomb appears to fly out of the back of links head standing on the ground.

**follow it up with a hookshot grab and you will surprise the **** out of most people :)

TIP FOR BOMBDROPPING

if you shorthop with link *or not haha, but its easier that way* and tilt the joystick backwards, when he is in backward motion, he holds the bomb very low. simply hit Z right before the ground to drop it on a flat surface such as final destination

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
...be in freefall; when link is falling down as fast as he normally does *NOT FASTFALL*
it'll still work if you fast fall.

...strong throw the bomb straight upward, *make sure it is a STRONG throw, like the difference between a smash attack and an uptilt*
when you're in the air, there is no difference between a normal throw and smash throw.

...if you are turned around, try to fire an arrow to turn yourself quickly around.
never try to attempt this; it's too slow. instead, you can position yourself so that the bomb explodes in front of your face. if done correctly, you'll still be facing the stage for a hook-shot attempt. *if you have 40% or more, you'll need to "wiggle" after the bomb hits in order to break the tumbling animation*

Omnirighteous

Smash Cadet
OmniRighteous' Bomb Technique: "Bomb-Chu" by Rob

Bomb Technique: "Bomb-Chu" by Rob
maybe i overlooked it in the bomb tricks FAQ, but this is a technique i discovered that allows the bomb to slide across the suface of a stage, preferably FD...

1. You draw a Bomb, then ledge hop from the RIGHT SIDE OF FD and drop the bomb so that it sits on the ground

2. Then wait till the fuse is short (when it blinkers red)

3. Hit the bomb with any of the weak hits of the mid-air Spin Attack

if you followed these steps correctly, the bomb should have slided across the stage, looks rather funny actually XD
and btw...if you want, you can drop the bomb anywhere and merely scratch it with a weak attack, such as a bomb drop, or late sex kick or something...just don't destroy it(a la: F-air, D-air, Strong Sex Kick)
so yeah...i deemed the move "Bomb-Chu" cuz it's effects resemble those of the item Bomb-Chu
in the Legend of Zelda series, most of you guys know what i'm talkin' about

In this match i had with my friend i used the trick- at around 0:35 sec:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFS3TaYsibI

oh, and btw that was not the full extent of my link, XD
i'd appreciate it if you could put my name in the FAQ somewhere, XD

AkaGoodguy

Smash Journeyman
ill get to updating an a few days maybe, i feel sick as ****, and like, am not in the mood to like, find the right place for everything, or to format it... btw, ive done a double bomb chu thinggy with 2 bombs on a platform and onee thrown in the middle... meh, not too helpfull in competitive play... same goes for the over the head ground throw... that usually messes me up cause i try to throw it in their face, and then it goes way high... like against a fast falco thats always in your face. ><

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
Bomb Technique: "Bomb-Chu" by Rob
maybe i overlooked it in the bomb tricks FAQ, but this is a technique i discovered that allows the bomb to slide across the suface of a stage, preferably FD...
lol...you actually think you're the first one to discover this? it's a useless glitch. also, the bomb will always slide to the left, no matter what.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
it'll still work if you fast fall.
true, my original advice was simply for timing issues. its a tough technique to land everytime, and that timing helps me do it personally. (im about 9 / 10 right now :chuckle: :chuckle: )

when you're in the air, there is no difference between a normal throw and smash throw.
dead wrong :laugh:
didnt mean to insult you.

hey im trying like the rest of u to master the bomb jump. that timing has had a very good success rate for me lately, figure i would share the advice. :lick: :lick:

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
true, my original advice was simply for timing issues. its a tough technique to land everytime, and that timing helps me do it personally. (im about 9 / 10 right now :chuckle: :chuckle: )

dead wrong :laugh:
didnt mean to insult you.

hey im trying like the rest of u to master the bomb jump. that timing has had a very good success rate for me lately, figure i would share the advice. :lick: :lick:
im tired of dealing with nub's on these forums. where the hell are the veterans? there is no difference in length between a smash throw and normal throw when in the air; this only applies on the ground. ******* nub. oh, and im not trying to master the bomb jump; that has already been done.

Top Bottom