• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link vs Samus, vs Jigglypuff matchup help

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm looking for some tips with the Link vs Samus and the Link vs Jigglypuff matchups. Since I didn't see a matchup thread in the sticky section, I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

What I need help against Samus:
- What percentages does she get combo'd at, and what combos work?
- What percentage should I stop combo'ing her and go for the finishing move? Any percentages I should keep in mind that go from combos to kill moves?
- What situations should I avoid?

What I need help against Jiggs:
- What projectile is better to use against her, and how should I use each one?
- Any ways to set her up for Uair or Dair kill?
- Any situations I should avoid?

Appreciate the help!

Never and always, samus i hard to do real combos at. You can almost always connect simple two-hit combos like utilt > uair and bair/nair > dsmash. You can rack damage in other ways though. If you are good at using your projectiles you can win the camping war, Samus missiles are less flexible and a lot more avoidable than your bombs and rang, they do more when connecting though so watch out and keep focused.

Apart from that you can keep her in the air for a long time and not allow her back onto the ground with dash attacks and uairs. This is sorts of a tech chase like situation where you read or limit her options so that the next move connects and resets the situation, pretty annoying to play against, very satisfying to do.

If she starts getting aggro you can play a keep out spacing game with your fair, nair and your jabs. Your goal is to counter her every aproach send her back and maybe get off another hit or two.

Samus is also fairly easy to shield poke, so try to go for some dsmashes if you see her shield.

- What percentage should I stop combo'ing her and go for the finishing move? Any percentages I should keep in mind that go from combos to kill moves?
bomb > dair, bomb > uair, dthrow(if you would land a grab) uair, everything kills pretty early(around 120%+ depending on stage and how up in the air), but don't hunt kills vs Samus. Gently force her into a bad position by zoning her closer and closer to the edge, then use a bomb or rang to setup a kill move or read any tries to jump or roll out of the situation. Fsmash is a good surprise in this matchup if it starts to get really slow and campy, try to connect the second swing as it is the better for killing samus.

UpB is close to useless btw. I guess you might get off a semi-spike in NTSC but apart from that it is terribad in this matchup, Samus won't die from it and you are better of trying to dsmash her to kill her(which in general will happen around 180%+) as it is safer and launches her into a position where it is easier for you to follow up.

Ehr, dunno, I just camp like a ***** avoiding all situations. All? Avoid everything! You can actually win this matchup on time(done it twice).

Maybe the best advice is to never try to gimp her, you don't have the tools. Instead try to add percentage with safe tools like rang, bombs, jab and ftilt

Her CC can be nasty too. If she CCs smack her with both of the swings of the fsmash or throw bombs and/or rang at her, she will not enjoy it.

Bombs, then rang. Rang is to give you space to pull bombs, bombs are your best projectile once it's in your hand. Never bow, with never I mean never. This applies to all matchup but vs falco and fox where the bow is a gimping tool, NEVER USE THE BOW,"The bow is for when you want to loose" -Skler the Wise

Bomb. Bomb > dair is an insane killer vs jiggs.

Just avoid her in general but if you want something specific, try to avoid rest combos, you can CC most of her common rest setups like utilt and uair, if you play vs jiggs enough you will start to notice when she switches from spacing like an asshole to fishing for rests. And don't roll towards her a lot it will become predictable and she will rest you when you do it a lot.

Appreciate the help!
These both together with ICs are Link's camping matchups. As a generic advice I think you need to learn to be an asshole(anus in medical terms).

Check this sticky for more in depth Link information, ask questions, put jokes in there, tell whats unclear and add in what's missing. (there is a comment system in google docs that is fairly usable for asking questions and comment(say wuuut use comments to comment? Noo..) on stuff.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Against Samus, as Lootic wrote, your projectiles are better. Keep in mind that you can also just nair through Samus's missiles while she has to actually dodge your bombs. Keeping her trapped in the air is key to "comboing" Samus since she has a hard time getting back down to the ground. Be patient with edge-guarding and killing her.

Against Jigglypuff, you pretty much have to camp and run away. Abuse platforms to keep yourself away from her while you throw projectiles. One bad move and you could die, but it will take a lot more for you to kill her. Aim to kill with up-airs, down-airs, and down-smashes mostly. Up-b and grab should basically not be used at all because missing with them means you get hit by rest and lose the stock. That said, it's still quite hard for jigglypuff to actually deal with Link's wall of projectiles, so the matchup is not terrible (in terms of winnability, but it is probably my most hated matchup).

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
These both together with ICs are Link's camping matchups. As a generic advice I think you need to learn to be an *******(anus in medical terms).
But... I'm Canadian. I have to be nice, say thank you, and most of all say sorry. You know what I mean, eh? :p

But seriously, thank you and Saus for the advice. I didn't know d-smash was that good in this matchup, I was just using Spin Attack out of shield all the time. Now I know better. Thanks for the link to the sticky too

SAUS

Smash Ace
But... I'm Canadian. I have to be nice, say thank you, and most of all say sorry. You know what I mean, eh? :p

But seriously, thank you and Saus for the advice. I didn't know d-smash was that good in this matchup, I was just using Spin Attack out of shield all the time. Now I know better. Thanks for the link to the sticky too
Oh man! Sup my Canadian friend?! I see you are in London? I'm in Ottawa! I was planning on visiting London sometime this summer to visit a friend, so maybe I'll see you! I plan on going to one of Zen's big smash fests.

I'd love to give you some tips in person :p

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Oh man! Sup my Canadian friend?! I see you are in London? I'm in Ottawa! I was planning on visiting London sometime this summer to visit a friend, so maybe I'll see you! I plan on going to one of Zen's big smash fests.

I'd love to give you some tips in person :p
Oh truth, you were at GOML, yeah? I remember watching you vs Zen's Falco, your Link is sick. I thought that Link matchup was impossible until I saw you do it.

Is it DV you're talking about? He comes out to the smashfests here when he can, you should come with him when you visit London. I wouldn't call them big smashfests, due to Zen's apartment being small and he has to place a 24 ppl cap. We're really trying to find a bigger venue that we can afford, no such luck right now though.

I'd really like to get some tips from you man! Let either one of us know when you're coming and we'll make sure Zen saves a spot for you :)

SAUS

Smash Ace
I'm looking for some tips with the Link vs Samus and the Link vs Jigglypuff matchups. Since I didn't see a matchup thread in the sticky section, I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Appreciate the help!
Hey, I played a local tourney a couple weeks ago and I fought a jigglypuff in bracket. You can see how I fight against jigglypuff - I posted all my matches in the Link Video thread that is stickied. Here's the post:
http://smashboards.com/threads/official-link-video-thread.100684/page-17#post-16856490

Top Bottom