• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Up B

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
Can someone explain to me the thinking behind the 2nd hit on Link's grounded up B? I've been playing smash for years although never very seriously but when playing with friends I get hit by this usually once a round.

The semi-spike on this move can kill me regardless of my percentage due to the moves odd angle and knockback. It's pretty telegraphed so I know I should be able to dodge it but I get clipped with it so often and getting hit seems like instant death.

I'm just hoping that if I understand its presence in the movelist then it may help in avoiding it.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty predictable, if you are near the edge just be wary and keep the fight center stage if you have any momentum.

Up B is like this in Melee too.

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
My issue is that the guy I play with will happily stay at the edge of the screen spamming arrows and bombs and wait for me to come and attack him, and I don't play projectile based characters so I'm forced to.

The 2nd hit of the Up B in melee definitely doesn't do this. It's a very weak attack that barely scratches you.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Sorry but the second hit does do this in Melee unless you played PAL, and even then it was the first hit throughout the whole move.

What character do you play?

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
I'm in UK so it is PAL yeah. Apologies I didn't know the moves were different between versions. I am playing it right now and the 2nd hit isn't as strong as the first hit although it isn't as weak as I remember.

If the move has just been reverted back to how it should have been then I guess I've got nothing to complain about. I'm just not used to it and need to up my game it seems.

I play Marth mostly.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Yeah, there were quite a bit of changes from NTSC to PAL. I believe there's a list somewhere. Keep in mind there were some changes from NTSC melee to P:M too. Other notable changes from MTSC melee to PAL include a weaker Fox Up Smash and Falco's Dair becoming a Meteor (which is cancelable by a jump after about half a second) as opposed to a spike the whole time.

If you're still having trouble you can jump over most of his projectiles. You can also play Falco because of his reflector and lasers. I'm not sure how much into smash you are so trying to keep low on Smash jargon.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
If you play Marth you shouldn't be close enough to be hit by up b, spacing is crucial against Link but you can't be too far away or else you will tack on damage that you do not want. Stay in tipping range, i think tipped fair reflects bomb or you could always z catch and try to use it to cover an option or some such. You can do so much with one projectile, it's insane. That's why I play Link.

Psytrese

Smash Cadet
We don't play particularly seriously and there's no L-Cancelling so the pace is slowed down. I do watch a lot of tournaments so I know the game and terminology I just don't play it often and don't do any advanced techniques. Thanks for the pointers though. I likely won't switch to Falco as I do like Marth I'm just having trouble with Link at the moment.

The projectiles themselves aren't even the issue. I sidestep, jump over, or counter most of them. The issue is that it's aggravating and a lot of work to keep up whilst his upkeep in those is just "hold b, release, repeat". So eventually I'm the one the will move in for the attack!

Maybe it's just the Marth was significantly better than Link (edit) in Melee and it just isn't the case any more! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom