• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Speed, Improvements in General

legionary

Smash Rookie
So I searched around on the forums but didn't find much in the way of specifics, so I thought I might give a shot at posting (even though all of the rules and regulations make me fear for my Smashboard life...)

How can I increase my speed as Link? Is it all about clean-cut SHFFLing/wavedashing? I feel as though I can't combo cleanly with him. I know that the word on the street is that Link is a "hard-mode" character, but I'm willing to work at it.

Does anyone have some suggestions for some training exercises as far as Link's speed and combo's go? Or I suppose more generally, how did you get your Link skills up to compete with and defend against faster characters like Falco and Marth?

EDIT: Oh, and before anyone asks, I did read the Link guides. They don't seem to give much advice as far as personal training techniques go, and even if I missed a paragraph or something, I'd like to hear from different sources.

NekoNoBaka13

Smash Rookie
Link's speed

Yeah, speed is one of Link's main problems...

But that's why he has range and projectiles. He has to bide his time and fling stuff until he can grab an opportunity. If the opponent gets too close, (a Sheik, for instance), Link doesn't have much he can do. Sure, he can keep sidestepping and rolling, but he cant give out a counterattack because of the slow speeds. He can shield-spin to get some space, but if it fails, he's dead.

What I do in those situations is I give one quick SHFFL Nair. It usually gets them off guard, and sticks out there longer than one sidestep duration. Then I try to get away, unless I see an opportunity to strike.

If you've already mastered SHFFLing, then there isn't much you can do to make Link faster. He'll NEVER be as fast as those other chars. You have to use projectiles to keep them a safe distance away, and use mindgames to get an opportunity to strike.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
You actually don't think about speed once you got l-cacelling down also wavelandin, once you got them, you'll feel Link is like fox :p

technomancer

Smash Champion
The keys to moving as quick as possible are:

SHFFLing
Dashing as soon as possible after the lag of a move ends
Perfect dash-jumping, where you jump just as you start your dash and don't waste any time on the ground
Using your fastfall from full jumps, and then re-jumping or landing as appropriate
Double aerials (bair->nair/uair and otherwise)

The above is essential to learn.

Other stuff you can work on that'll speed you up:
Mastering movement techs, like Wavelanding, Platform dashing, Wavelanding, edgehop wavedashes, and all of their standard follow ups, so you don't waste time moving fluidly across the level.
Simply being more accurate with your jukes, especially with your dashdance.

FlipX

Smash Ace
Stos- while I know you are exaggerating link will never be as fast as even the noobiest fox. Speed is not what link needs. He needs to be durable. All you need to do is spam spam spam. Speed is not a neccesity.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
in the fox forum they have a VERy detailed post on some of foxes more mainstream mindgame movements...its somewhat useful but more entertaining. link should have one too.

FlipX

Smash Ace
Links mindgames consist more of projecticles then actual movements considering he is so slow (regardless of how good you can WD WL or L-cancel)

Lightshade

Smash Ace
It has been proven that Link has in fact the slowest foot speed (Next to Zelda). I wavedash all the time with Link, the way you want to play him isn't about the speed, he's not meant to be an extremly mobile character (Like Shiek, Marth Captain falcon). You don't use wavedashing for speed, you use it to help with combos. I've stayed with Link since the original SSB, and just playing against other people really improves your game, even if you lose. That is how I train, and it might not work the same way for other people. Everyone gets better in a different way.

Top Bottom