• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Watched through Scizor's analysis of T's matches at Civil War. Apparently Dabuz asked @ScizorVX how to play against Link and Dabuz followed Scizor's advice to a T (pun intended)... Boo T was betrayed by a fellow Link! =P.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I haven't played ssb4 in months. Maybe I should pick it up again. I have been watching sets from players like T and Scizor though.

In BotW I figured out some things about the dragons and farming materials.
They spawn in the same place if you're in the right place to trigger their spawning. They seem to only spawn at night (starting at 9pm) and leave as soon as you've shot them with an arrow. It's helpful to wear armor that makes you immune to the current dragon's element. That way you can get close for precise shots. Horn shots give you shards of horns, mouth: fangs and anywhere else: scales (edit, also claws). The wind they create pulls you up and your stamina gets replenished after dropping so you can open the glider again in mid air and line up a good shot.

Farosh is easy. Start on the lake tower and glide north to Hylia Bridge. If you wait on the 2nd wider hexagon shape Farosh will spawn from the lake and soon fly to you.

Dinraal is in an Eldin canyon. You know the shrine at the ancient pillars area south of Tabitha tower? Start there and glide north toward the wood bridge by the stables. Din should spawn north in the canyon. Go to the middle of the bridge to where a hole in the north railing is and Din will fly up to you.

Naydra was a pain to figure out. I warp to the spring of wisdom and run to the top of Mt. Lanayru. From there I glide north to some ice pillars near the bay where the east ocean comes inland. Naydra spawns to the west moving east from the canal ruins or whatever area.

Be sure to watch the sparkle after you have shot them to see where the material lands. You'll need several to upgrade various armors like the barbarian set and Hero's Tunic.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The set was uploaded today.
Because Link is freakin' Link! Play Link instead.
good callback, but im a true poet, knew intuitively that the hour had come and, like the wise greeks of antiquity, responded to the call of destiny
Watched through Scizor's analysis of T's matches at Civil War. Apparently Dabuz asked @ScizorVX how to play against Link and Dabuz followed Scizor's advice to a T (pun intended)... Boo T was betrayed by a fellow Link! =P.
Yes, but Dabuz had already demonstrated he was competent against Link (remember when Mr-R pulled out the Link!). Additionally he played friendlies with T in Japan, and apparently won almost everything; unlike some others I do not believe the Scizor practice influenced the results. Honestly, everybody knows more relevant match-ups, it was only fair that in the top 3 of the tournament someone would finally truly know the Link MU. (Fatality had no help but that the download was complete was more than evident too...)

It is worth noting that Seagull Joe apparently asked Sova Unknown to prepare him for T, and that Sova refused... A true brother. Of course, Seagull, keen and effective as always, still won... But T rocks the 4Sova tag for a reason!

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
good callback, but im a true poet, knew intuitively that the hour had come and, like the wise greeks of antiquity, responded to the call of destiny

Yes, but Dabuz had already demonstrated he was competent against Link (remember when Mr-R pulled out the Link!). Additionally he played friendlies with T in Japan, and apparently won almost everything; unlike some others I do not believe the Scizor practice influenced the results. Honestly, everybody knows more relevant match-ups, it was only fair that in the top 3 of the tournament someone would finally truly know the Link MU. (Fatality had no help but that the download was complete was more than evident too...)

It is worth noting that Seagull Joe apparently asked Sova Unknown to prepare him for T, and that Sova refused... A true brother. Of course, Seagull, keen and effective as always, still won... But T rocks the 4Sov
a tag for a reason!
So Seagul went to Scizor instead.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I think it is ultimately better to let the info on the MU get out, it is simply unreliable to get wins on MU inexperience... it's also basically fraudulent, although an almost justified reward for playing an undervalued and underplayed character

on that note here's my quick how to beat most links you'll meet guide

1. go here, check what dthrow follow-ups work against your character, and how you can avoid which ones. often there's a very specific input (like DI behind airdodge) to avoid certain options, which will leave Links flustered. know what works, especially when dthrow uair is true, when it is a 50/50, and when the percents are over (and so you should simply jump out)
2. On the subjects of grabs, Link surprises people because of grab range, but that is trade-off for the speed of the grab. Normally you would space something safely on shield then shield yourself, but in this case the "safe" spacing is often still in grab range, so hitting shield then spotdodging is a far more viable mix-up or....
3. Roll away from Link. This 1 very easy trick gets people wins: Link has bad options from dash, because both dash attack and dash grab are very slow. this makes it so that he's bad at chasing rolls, and most of the time you can simply hit shield and roll away without him being able to do much, except possibly get a very hard read that is also very punishable. many people shield intuitively on landing; just roll away on landing vs Link, it is going to make his life much harder (of course mix it up, but once that precedent has been established it makes life much harder for link)
4. ftilt is relatively safe, don't think you can dash in and dashgrab after, in fact rarely dash straight in at Link (his blind spot is diagonally above him, he is good at walling horizontally)
5. jab2 on shield is a 50/50, link can either finish with jab3 or do a mix-up with for instance grab. you can respect the 50/50, but I usually drop shield after jab2 90% of the time, cause the punishment if that was the wrong guess is only 4 percent -- if you held shield it could be a grab to usmash for 20. don't forget to tech jab (tech roll away -- can't get anything)
6. Knowing how to edgeguard Link takes time (see fatality fail all the time vs scizor and t in doubles for instance). Spin attack has surprisingly large hitbox, especially the last hit, and of course a tether recovery is tricky. on tethers you want to fall with a lasting hitbox, i.e. bayonetta nair -- this works better on link than on most tether users because links aerial mobility makes it so that it's more obvious when he will tether. on up b you can challenge directly from above or from the side midway (this is something to get used to). If uncertain, the following is very important: Link's recovery is not particularly bad, but it is very linear. The worst is that almost always it forces him to go to the ledge. Instead of ledgeguarding, go for ledgetrapping. Link has bad ledge options anyway.
7. Link's ledge options are bad, but tricky. Links love to draw a bomb when they are offstage even when unnecessary, meaning they actually limit their own options a lot of the time. a standard link habit is jumping from the ledge when you have a bomb out already, which is naturally very punishable (check Tsu vs T at weekly for a ton of ledgejumps with bomb). if he doesn't have a bomb links favorite ledge get-up is either ledgehop fair (which is then safe on shield and so will will be followed by jab, roll or spotdodge) or ledgehop zair (which hits people all the way behind roll distance, and so catches people off-guard). be prepared for both and remember...:
8. LInk is very vulnerable to trumps because of what I mentioned in (7): he loves to go for ledgehops (or normal get-up), and has a linear recovery, because of which he has few ways to surpass the ledge / trick you after a trump. Often it'll just mean a free (deadly) hit. just hit shield for the beefy up b.
9. when he's camping, shield beats everything but high risk grab (naturally), so you know what to do... bomb pull takes a full second so there's no way you won't find an opening eventually. boomerang is garbage (but safer than it seems on pull, don't run in after boomerang throw you can get jabbed).
10. dair can be fastfalled or not fastfalled and is lagless from certain height. it's honestly a less good cloud dair -- challenge it from the side (very easily), powershield grab or pivot grab. should be no problem. his other landing options are awful, unless he has time / positioning to draw a bomb.
11. always DI after things, it can mix up bomb confirms, will mix-up dumb combos that shouldn't really work (like double bair into something, dtilt into fair and so forth), and screw up dtrhow confirms at late percents. dont make it easy for link

That's it really: don't make it easy for him, and then he will have to be very lucky and clutch it out. He's still slow and sluggish

Rizen

Smash Legend
I still get triggered by Brawl MK.

Edit I'm enjoying the Dark Souls 3 Ringed City DLC. So far I'm at the city wall bonfire.
They should have called this the ambush city lol. The murk men everywhere got me several times. Trying to get the soul on the ledge and dropping into the church was a cool surprise.
I almost feel sorry for the imps clinging to the sides of buildings so the angles don't kill them- almost. I hate those guys. Not being able to pause the game, even on offline mode, sucks.

The Demons from below/in pain were a cool boss fight. Alone they're pushovers with a big blind spot under their bellies. Together they're mighty but one will burn out and move slowly so you can run to the other side of the arena and only the other can catch you. The demon prince final phase kept it from being too easy, by DS standards. I ended up beating it with a great sword that causes bleeding, with no help from summons.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Guys, you know the Korok that expands your pouch in BOTW?

After you meet him the second time and expand your pouch (South of the Lost Forest), where does he go?

I can't seem to find him and i don't expect to, since the last two I meet him by complete accident

I need help

:135:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Guys, you know the Korok that expands your pouch in BOTW?

After you meet him the second time and expand your pouch (South of the Lost Forest), where does he go?

I can't seem to find him and i don't expect to, since the last two I meet him by complete accident

I need help

He's inside the Lost Woods. You also get a cool weapon in there.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
He's inside the Lost Woods. You also get a cool weapon in there.
Ah okay so he does get to lost woods. Good good good

Thanks

If by cool weapon, you mean a blade that is the bane to all darkness, then I have already got it. It felt pretty bad***

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I beat the DS3 Ringed City DLC :) I still need to beat the secret boss. After that it's back to Skyrim or LoZ BotW to find the 9 shrines I'm missing. It's a great time for fantasy/sci-fi exploration games. Know what would be a funny user name? Dora the Mad Queen.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Guys
Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 3.04.12 pm.png

It's happening!!! :D :D :younglinkmelee:

Also side note on Breath of the Wild

Am i the only one slightly disappointed?

I mean i have no problem with the cutscene or anything like that, they were lovely. It's what happens after.

Nothing, literally nothing has change. Hyrule Castle is still all doom and gloom and my mission for Defeat Ganon is still check as uncompleted (even though after i beat him it says completed). And literally the only recognition i get for it is a star. A single star. I get the whole "oh what if they want to fight the final boss again? Put them right before it" thing in games, but i really wanted to see what happened after i defeated him. I wanted to be able to interact with Zelda and see what she says after I've rescued her. And hell they could still have you fight the final boss again, just do some sort of flash back thing or time wrap ability (sort of lie what they did in Dragon Quest 9) i mean, i guess it's just mean, but i still..

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^The coding is {spoiler=ending} {/spoiler} with [ instead of {.
I agree it was anticlimactic. The final boss was way too easy too. In terms of epicness you expect from a LoZ game, BotW was underwhelming. The nonlinear world was awesome for gameplay but never made me feel the sense of progression, urgency or danger other LoZs did.
You have to free the divine beasts but not really because defeating Ganon is all that matters and they aren't actively threatening anything. The only actual change after beating one is the Zora area stops raining making cliffs easier to climb. Everything has been perpetually "threatening" for the last 100 years without actually doing anything.
Same goes for the Master Sword and Ganon. Nothing has changed in 100 years and beating Ganon just temporally stops a future threat. You don't even need the master sword and don't get a special sealing cutscene true ending, like you should. Beating mobs just means the blood moon will revive them. Shrines power you up but have no story progression purpose, neither do towers.
The game would have been better set maybe 2 or 3 years after the prologue, not 100.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
^The coding is {spoiler=ending} {/spoiler} with [ instead of {.
I agree it was anticlimactic. The final boss was way too easy too. In terms of epicness you expect from a LoZ game, BotW was underwhelming. The nonlinear world was awesome for gameplay but never made me feel the sense of progression, urgency or danger other LoZs did.
You have to free the divine beasts but not really because defeating Ganon is all that matters and they aren't actively threatening anything. The only actual change after beating one is the Zora area stops raining making cliffs easier to climb. Everything has been perpetually "threatening" for the last 100 years without actually doing anything.
Same goes for the Master Sword and Ganon. Nothing has changed in 100 years and beating Ganon just temporally stops a future threat. You don't even need the master sword and don't get a special sealing cutscene true ending, like you should. Beating mobs just means the blood moon will revive them. Shrines power you up but have no story progression purpose, neither do towers.
The game would have been better set maybe 2 or 3 years after the prologue, not 100.
Oh whoops... must have made a mistake.

I know right? Like I never felt like i had to free the divine beast and when i did, i wasn't too much i got. I mean sure, the powers and weapons are nice, but the weapons break eventually and then you have to go hunting for material. Like take Geurdo desert for example. They were saying the divine beast was stopping there trades because it was creating lighting and sand storms, yet those events were literally isolated to a small section that it hung around in.
Hell, i feel like i could take on Ganon even without the Divine beast. Sure it would take significantly longer, but with the weapns that i eventually got plus meals, it just was a breeze, i wasn't really on edge too much
Eh i didn't mind the Blood moon. it gave a somewhat valid reason as to why monsters suddenly respawn after you killed them.
I guess maybe it was 100 years so that the champions could have proper descendants. Then again 10 years should have been sufficient given how old some of them are really are.

Honestly, i actually want to know more about what the world was like before the Calamity. Or hell even more interaction between Link and Zelda.

Makes me wonder what the new story is that they are doing for the dlc

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I sure did do a lot of work on Breath of the Wild in the past few days.

Before Wednesday, the last time I got on my fiancee's Switch to play Breath of the Wild, I had just freed Vah Ruta. Now I have the Master Sword after so much shrine grinding, and I freed Va Naboris, and boy did I have a lot of trouble in the Yiga Clan hideout.

I got a real big laugh once I beat the head of the Yiga Clan though. He sure is dumb. I know a lot of villians in these sorts of entertainment businesses are dumb nowadays, but this guy? I havent seen anyone that dumb in a game or cartoon based on a game ever since Scratch and Grounder from AoStH, and there's no way in hell I'm going back there again.

One thing I hated was the fact that ever since that incident, the Yiga Clan have really been out trying to kill me at REALLY INCONVENIENT TIMES. But whatever.

One thing I also managed to get was the Ancient Shield. Regarding the Akalla Tech Lab, I was really lucky to have gotten that furnace reactivated on the first shot. That guardian downhill and the fact it was about to rain almost made me rage quit.

Next I'll be headed to Rito Village to retake their divine beast, then the one on Death Mountain, and I'm off to Hyrule Castle.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Yeah the Yuga/Stal/Keese/rain in BotW can be reeeeally irritating.

I beat Darkeater Midir in Dark Soul 3 :) I'll probably get back into Skyrim or BotW soon.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I remember the first time i encountered the Yuga. It was on the way to visit Impa

I saw a person on the side of the road and (given how everyone else i had meet was friendly), i decided to talk to them.

One conversation later, they turned into this orange ninja person i had no idea about, so i thought, "well i'll try fighting, hopefully they aren't too hard" so i jumped off my horse and did the bow time slow thing. But he had vanished from my sight. Which led my to do what any normal person would do with only 4 hearts... panic and run away as fast as i could.

Fortunately something seemed to have happened to him as when i turned around he wasn't following me

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I remember the first time i encountered the Yuga. It was on the way to visit Impa

I saw a person on the side of the road and (given how everyone else i had meet was friendly), i decided to talk to them.

One conversation later, they turned into this orange ninja person i had no idea about, so i thought, "well i'll try fighting, hopefully they aren't too hard" so i jumped off my horse and did the bow time slow thing. But he had vanished from my sight. Which led my to do what any normal person would do with only 4 hearts... panic and run away as fast as i could.

Fortunately something seemed to have happened to him as when i turned around he wasn't following me

So you just left your horse there to die? You're a terrible person.
One of the Yuga guys offered to sell me bananas once.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The most unique question I got from a Yiga clan member was if I wanted my fortune told.

I didn't fall for it. He already made himself seem like a fraud when he said "fortune told."

Rizen

Smash Legend
I p***ed one of them off by saying Koga has a "dumb belly". You can't attack them preemtively until they reveal themselves, even though it's obvious most of the time. They just cower for a second like other people.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So you just left your horse there to die? You're a terrible person.
One of the Yuga guys offered to sell me bananas once.
Well.... I mean i didn't mean to. Plus he was really far away from where the fight was happening and he didn't die.

Though i have had one horse die since i was playing. I felt so bad about it ;-;

Oh yeah i just ran into the Yuga. He didn't take my refusal very well

The most unique question I got from a Yiga clan member was if I wanted my fortune told.

I didn't fall for it. He already made himself seem like a fraud when he said "fortune told."
Oh i remember that guy. I said yes to getting my fortune read.

I was disappointed with the results :/

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You said yes? What did he do to you?
He says something about predicting you'll die. Then I didn't die; talk about a hack.
Yeah it was something along those lines. I think i had something to do with a river of my blood. idk

I've sort of forgotten given how many i've encountered

Lonog story short, he/she was another dead Yuga

Plus side, I got a demon carver and some bananas

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Well.... I mean i didn't mean to. Plus he was really far away from where the fight was happening and he didn't die.

Though i have had one horse die since i was playing. I felt so bad about it ;-;

Still a bad person.
I once had a horse get shot by a fire arrow. It then ran into an exploding barrel, and went flying off a cliff. I floated down after it, but it died. I vowed to destroy all Moblins at that point.
Then I got struck by lightning, and forgot all about it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If only there was a way to return horses to life;). Some very disturbing NPC for example.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Still a bad person.
I once had a horse get shot by a fire arrow. It then ran into an exploding barrel, and went flying off a cliff. I floated down after it, but it died. I vowed to destroy all Moblins at that point.
Then I got struck by lightning, and forgot all about it.
Well, I did manage to revive the horse so yay..

I once saw a moose run off a cliff..... It was quiet distrubing

If only there was a way to return horses to life;). Some very disturbing NPC for example.
Yeah, I've visited it(her?) once or twice, one of them to revive my horse, Speedy. I don't enjoy the visits though. She's creepy...

Speaking of horses
has anyone else manage to capture the giant horse and Zelda's horse?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
My first horse was grey and white blotched so I named her Clowdy. The next was a black stallion who I named Blacky, after a horse irl. The white horse is Snowy but in retrospect I should have named her Lady (like in robin hood men in tights). The giant horse is Diablo. My favorite is Epona, who I got from the SSB4 Link Amiibo. I'm so happy Epona returned. She should be a wild nature considering how she messed up the Skullkid and Bokoblins in MM and TP respectively.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
My first horse was grey and white blotched so I named her Clowdy. The next was a black stallion who I named Blacky, after a horse irl. The white horse is Snowy but in retrospect I should have named her Lady (like in robin hood men in tights). The giant horse is Diablo. My favorite is Epona, who I got from the SSB4 Link Amiibo. I'm so happy Epona returned. She should be a wild nature considering how she messed up the Skullkid and Bokoblins in MM and TP respectively.
First horse i got was a a bronw with white spots horse i named Frank (i think)
I'm actually a little annoyed the Epona only comes with the SSB4 Link amiibo and not also the Ocarina of Time amiibo, especially since OoT was the first game to have Epona.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like that Epona was on the SSB4 Link Amiibo ...because it's the only one I have Embarrass.

I've had terrible luck farming star pieces from Silver Lynels. It's back to sky watching at night for me. The Lynel weapons are fantastic at least. I have bows that do 32 damage times 5, 5 of any kind of arrow at once for the price of one. And a 1 handed sword that does 103 damage.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I like that Epona was on the SSB4 Link Amiibo ...because it's the only one I have Embarrass.

I've had terrible luck farming star pieces from Silver Lynels. It's back to sky watching at night for me. The Lynel weapons are fantastic at least. I have bows that do 32 damage times 5, 5 of any kind of arrow at once for the price of one. And a 1 handed sword that does 103 damage.
I only have OoT link (well that is until the Young Link amiibo is released :grin: XD ) in terms of zelda amiibo so that's the reason for my mini rant

I don't think i've actually come across any Silver Lynel yet. Mostly just Red and White ones (those guys can be huge ***holes, especially in cold areas)
But yeah i'm with you, i've have terrible luck getting Star fargments, especially since i need them to upgrade not only my geruode jewelry (idk what else to call the armour) and my Hero of Time clothing (i've only manage to fully upgrade the the Cap of Time). And the annoying thing is more often then not, star fragments fall from the sky while i am in the middle of doing something else. So often i quickly try to finish what i am doing then race to the fragment on to have it disappear in the sun light.

Speaking of armour
Can someone help point in the right direction as to where i might find the Zora armour headset? from the faded ice wall entry, i've narrowed my search down to somewhere near Lulu lake. But that is about as far as i got. I don't ask to be like "oh that armour is here" just checking if i am heading in the right direction.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking of armour
Can someone help point in the right direction as to where i might find the Zora armour headset? from the faded ice wall entry, i've narrowed my search down to somewhere near Lulu lake. But that is about as far as i got. I don't ask to be like "oh that armour is here" just checking if i am heading in the right direction.

Go to a lake slightly north of there.

Edit, anyone into game design? This video on why Mighty No 9 is a cluster truck is very informative.
Look it's 55 minutes long. Oh Mighty No 9 :facepalm:

Edit 2, isn't anyone going to post?

I was watching an LP of The World of Final Fantasy. This is one of the few times I like the LPer but the game was so abysmally bad I couldn't bring myself to finish the series.
The story is the perfect example of how NOT to write an RPG. It's insultingly cliched, predictable and padded. You have the old 'protagonists are thrown into a new world, meet animal-esk companion, prophecy BS, fetch arbitrary relics, meet champions, question prophecy but still be idiots and fall right into the bad guy's hands so they can unleash an ancient evil- and I stopped there- story. Complete with needing maidens/to trick heroes to break the seal. What do you want to bet there will be some "power of friendship/love" deus ex machina cliche ending? This sort of thing should have died in the 90s. I know Ocarina of time did that but it wasn't a story driven RPG but rather a dungeon buster/puzzle game. And frankly OoT's characters were still leagues above TWoFF's.

The main characters were unlikable, annoying morons. Lann was easily the stupidest protagonist in the FF series. Reynn was a bratty jerk who constantly belittled Lann, her brother. And Tama was the most annoying, pointless 'helper' I've seen. She randomly said "the" mid-sentence as if it was some sort of dialect.
Then you had the cliche, cut and paste, mad mage/scientist, right-hand strong female and dark general villains.
And the random 'extra dimensional hub keeper, deus ex machina' character. The ONLY reason any half decent characters were in the game was they were shoehorned in as cash grab/popular characters from other games. And even then they were shoved into stereotypical, one dimensional roles with no character development.

The game obviously had a big budget and seemed programed well, to be fair, but the developers opted for the cheapest anime style imaginable. That '2 foot high, doll-like style used to avoid properly animating proportions' was the main thing with some more traditional anime proportions explained as "Jaints" thrown in for no good reason. Some cutscenes were pre-rendered CG while others were animated like a bad anime.

I've played bad RPGs before. Like FF the Crystal Bearers for the wii, which was a train wreck. Horrible map, short story, and centered around underutilized, faulty, band wagon motion controls. But I never felt insulted by the game. It was simply c***. The World of FF was that very special, high budget, has everything going for it, but treats the audience like a "Special" 4 year old, kind of bad. I passionately loath this game and seeing how far Square-Enix has fallen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom