• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

link me to best/current emu?

niga t

Smash Rookie
hey guys, new to forums, i recently downloaded project64k and started playing ssb online, but i cant get a game to finish without desyncing, and it wont let me host games. i was told that i have a bad version of the emulator, but i have since tried several different versions of project64k and project64kve with no luck. they all seem to have various issues, but a main one is that once i get to the character select screen in a netplay match, if i am not the host then my controller will not move when i go to select a character, and vice versa if i host someone else. i have tried every controller plugin with no luck (currently using a mayflash adapter but getting a raphnet soon). most recently, running any version of pj64k or kve freezes my computer and requires task manger to close the program. i have no idea what the cause for this is, my computer is brand new with very high specs.

any help would be appreciated.

i just want to play smash with my friends :(

Uair

Banned via Warnings
www.pj64k.blogspot.com

The emulator is known to not exit correctly sometimes, there is a bat to auto-close it when that happens from the site I linked.

The controller issue is with Nrage plugin. You have Raw Data packet checked, that causes you to only be able to mvoe the controls when you host but the other players wont eb able to. Then when you join someone you can't move.

Hosting the game issue should be straight forward just follow the gif.

The last clean copy of a fully functional 0.13 build is from the blogspot. If you're having desynce issues it could be a number of things. If you have a high end PC I recommend running GLideN64 as well.

Also desync can be due to your network issues. IF you lag a lot or the other person does, or if either of you are wireless, you're going to desync more often. Also SMASH FU [NY] has server issues right now. @KnitePhox needs to do something because the server has been ****ting out lately.

Last edited:

niga t

Smash Rookie
thanks man i will try this when i get home. so i should download GLideN64 and use is for the graphics plugin, correct?

Ive been really wanting to play lately but all these problems i have been running into are really frustrating.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
If you have netwo
thanks man i will try this when i get home. so i should download GLideN64 and use is for the graphics plugin, correct?

Ive been really wanting to play lately but all these problems i have been running into are really frustrating.
That's because people wouldn't be reason with. The pj64k blogspot has accounted for every issue people come across. People just don't like the guy who maintains it.

The blogspot has a old gliden64 verswion that works fine, but http://www.emucr.com/search/label/N64?&max-results=12 is where you can get the latest version.

Take note, by high end I mean a gaming computer that can actually run games. Majority of people here run toasters, CPU even AMD FX series will suffice for GLideN64. You also need to have a graphics card with OpenGL 4.0 support.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
That's because people wouldn't be reason with. The pj64k blogspot has accounted for every issue people come across. People just don't like the guy who maintains it..
The blogspot build causes a heavy amount of desync. I have had over 10 instances where I have played somebody, desynced like crazy, asked them which build they were using, got told the blogspot build, relinked to the one in the sticky, and then the desync issues were gone (or heavily decreased).

Also, the amount of complaints regarding malware is way too high, I wouldn't trust it.

Please stop linking this crappy build, and don't act as if you aren't the "guy who maintains it" when you so clearly are.

Niga T, use the one provided in the sticky instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bflqsc4sb2wv881/Project64kVE.zip

There's a reason that almost every guide uses this one and only Uair promotes the other one.

Last edited:

niga t

Smash Rookie
ok well im new here and didnt mean jump into them middle of a disagreement

i will try both versions you guys linked and objectively report back on which one (if any) works better for me.

thanks for the help guys. im sure i will be back if/when i run into another issue.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
The blogspot build causes a heavy amount of desync. I have had over 10 instances where I have played somebody, desynced like crazy, asked them which build they were using, got told the blogspot build, relinked to the one in the sticky, and then the desync issues were gone (or heavily decreased).

Also, the amount of complaints regarding malware is way too high, I wouldn't trust it.

Please stop linking this crappy build, and don't act as if you aren't the "guy who maintains it" when you so clearly are.

Niga T, use the one provided in the sticky instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bflqsc4sb2wv881/Project64kVE.zip

There's a reason that almost every guide uses this one and only Uair promotes the other one.
As I said I have no evidence of the past, which you apparently don't either. Every time I've used it It has worked fine. Anyone claiming it's malware is saying that out of spite for smasherx. I'm guessing it's canuet who started that rumor, he's pretty trolly.

I said once I'm going to continue promoting the site because the links on smashboards are to faulty "Pj64kVE" versions which have pop up errors everytime I open the emulator, and the SM64 multiplayers don't work with them.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
As I said I have no evidence of the past, which you apparently don't either. Every time I've used it It has worked fine. Anyone claiming it's malware is saying that out of spite for smasherx. I'm guessing it's canuet who started that rumor, he's pretty trolly.

I said once I'm going to continue promoting the site because the links on smashboards are to faulty "Pj64kVE" versions which have pop up errors everytime I open the emulator, and the SM64 multiplayers don't work with them.
Even regardless of the malware (which I can't confirm because I won't touch that thing), it still desyncs an incredible amount more than the other build that I provided. If your build is truly superior, why is it that you are the only person who promotes it? Why is it that the most popular netplay setup guide (which is updated frequently), and the stickies, link to the one I have provided instead? It's because it's the most consistent and reliable one. Not some off-branch build that causes more problems than it fixes. Again, each time I play somebody who desyncs within minutes of playing, and I ask where they got their emulator, it's always from the crappy blogspot website. Linking them the one I provided (and not providing any additional instructions) fixes this desync issue. Quit trying to make the online community more unstable than it already is. If you're not smasherx (which everybody knows you are), then you should have no incentive to keep pushing for this crappy build.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
it still desyncs an incredible amount more than the other build that I provided. .
The person who provides that blogspot, smasherx explained before on the blogspot the difference from the modified 0.13 and the original 0.13 compiled back in 2003.

I remember specifically, PJ64kVE, 7E, all of those versions are done using a hex editor to change the GFX plugin to Jabo8. They also use Resource editors which then recompile the exe and that definitely causes desynces. His version specifically was/is the onyl one to use ASM modifications which prevent any expectations that may occur using hex editors or resource editors. He knew how the program worked and modified it accordingly.

I've used that blogspot because its the first link off google. I've never had desync problems with it like I actually have using the links provided here on smashboards. One of the copies would auto-crash my old computer and give me a BSOD even... So I don't really care what you have to say unless you can provide evidence like he did a long time ago. I'm going to keep using the file I know is safe, and works 100% correctly.

Thanks, I advice you gather some evidence on these things before making wild accusations. Yesterday I played nearly 20+ minutes in a single game without desync. I've also never had any virus that was notable besides regular cookie malware that gets caught by malwarebytes.

Here is my suggestion: Download your copy then download the regular copy. Compare the two on two identical systems. Just go into game and start pressing the CPU/Player button and see which one DSes first. Do this 3 or 5 times and you have your self a scientific theory stating The blogspot link is corrupted (which I know for a fact your version is corrupted by the name of it).

Update: I tried your link, as expected it did EXACTLY what I remember it doing. I'm not even going to try emulating with ti in fear my computer will BSOD (I knwo for a fact this happens withj faulty pj64ks and the original one that they were suppose to fix).

Take note: I deleted all registry of PJ64 as seen in the begging. This means all cache/data was relieved of the emulator. This is how someone who has never used pj64k will see the emulator. Your PJ64KVE doesn't load the audio or input plugin. The GFX plugin is force set to Jabo8 which has many graphical glitches compared to Glide64 or GLideN64.

Update2: I just attempted to use your emulator, It turns out you can ONLY USE Jabo_Direct3D8.dll you cannot use the Glide64 final version plugin ON KAILLERA. This is something www.blogspot.com explained how to do back when it was an actual blog!!! Your pj64k copy is faulty!

Here is proof

Last edited:

Madao

I honestly haven't had good experiences with any variant of PJ64 1.4k / kve.. It always desynced early on for me.

I'd much rather use PJ64 2.2k. 2.2 is much better than 1.4 and there's no desync.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I honestly haven't had good experiences with any variant of PJ64 1.4k / kve.. It always desynced early on for me.

I'd much rather use PJ64 2.2k. 2.2 is much better than 1.4 and there's no desync.
Pj64k 2.2 100% of the time BSoD on me. With pj64k 0.13 there is at least 1 copy that still works.... because even the original 0.13 file from 2003 crashes me.

If you could fix that BSOD issue I'd use it.

Last edited:

niga t

Smash Rookie

do you have a link to this version?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I won't deny that the blogspot build provided may have some perks/fixes to the old PJ64k, but that doesn't change the desync issue. I use the latest Glide on the old build, it just requires you to rename the plugin to the default one (which is annoying, yes, but doable). You know this. I'm not sure why I'm even arguing with you lol.

2.2 would be the best if only 3 issues were solved:
Full screen without DS (might already not be a thing?)
Any BSOD errors (which I believe have been fixed?)
58fps lock.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I won't deny that the blogspot build provided may have some perks/fixes to the old PJ64k, but that doesn't change the desync issue. I use the latest Glide on the old build, it just requires you to rename the plugin to the default one (which is annoying, yes, but doable). You know this. I'm not sure why I'm even arguing with you lol.
I played yesterday for over 20 minutes without a desync... the only place I DS'd on was Smash FU NY whic hhas been laggy lately. I even did 4 player teams with items on very high without ds, on hyrule too.

Please stop spreading false information, it just hurts people like the OP who are trying to just play smash bros. You're providing faulty copies as I stated in our PM. Also I provided 3 cases of evidence...

1) PJ64kve has popup issue with audio and no audio/input when you start it.

2) PJ64kve doesn't let you use any plugin besides Jabo8 unless you manually edit files your self.

3) PJ64k has no desync issues that I know of, I've played other people using the emulator and we've not had ds issues.

I HAVE however had DS issues with specific players on kaillera, I'm guessin they're more than likely using a faulty build like the one you linked.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
1. Wow, an issue solved by going right into settings upon first boot that never bothers you again. Annoying, yes, but not worth fixing in exchange for more DS's
2. First you say that you can't use any other plugin. Only when I correct you about this do you admit it, haha. Again, this may be annoying, but people don't generally change graphical plugins often, and again, this issue isn't worth fixing if it's going to cause you to DS more.
3. Our personal experiences clearly differ. All I'm saying is that every time somebody has jumped in the Discord, or on Kaillera, and said that they kept DS'ing, 9 times out of 10, it's always with your build and providing the other build fixes the issue.

Somebody take me off Smasherx72's wild ride.

Madao

Pj64k 2.2 100% of the time BSoD on me. With pj64k 0.13 there is at least 1 copy that still works.... because even the original 0.13 file from 2003 crashes me.

If you could fix that BSOD issue I'd use it.
Someone else already fixed the BSOD issue and I ported the fix to 2.2k

do you have a link to this version?
Yes. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c0kflv2rv0d2hb/Project64 2.2k.exe?dl=0 .

2.2 would be the best if only 3 issues were solved:
Full screen without DS (might already not be a thing?)
Any BSOD errors (which I believe have been fixed?)
58fps lock.
Which emulators can do full screen without DS? I haven't seen it happen on 2.2k yet, but can't say I've done extensive testing. BSOD should be fixed and I cannot reproduce the 58 fps lock. I believe the 58fps lock is a setting issue. All players have to disable all forms of audio sync.

I played yesterday for over 20 minutes without a desync... the only place I DS'd on was Smash FU NY whic hhas been laggy lately. I even did 4 player teams with items on very high without ds, on hyrule too.

3) PJ64k has no desync issues that I know of, I've played other people using the emulator and we've not had ds issues.

I HAVE however had DS issues with specific players on kaillera, I'm guessin they're more than likely using a faulty build like the one you linked.
Are you able to select random cpus and not desync? If that's truly the case, I'd like to know what plugins you are using.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
1. Wow, an issue solved by going right into settings upon first boot that never bothers you again. Annoying, yes, but not worth fixing in exchange for more DS's
2. First you say that you can't use any other plugin. Only when I correct you about this do you admit it, haha. Again, this may be annoying, but people don't generally change graphical plugins often, and again, this issue isn't worth fixing if it's going to cause you to DS more.
3. Our personal experiences clearly differ. All I'm saying is that every time somebody has jumped in the Discord, or on Kaillera, and said that they kept DS'ing, 9 times out of 10, it's always with your build and providing the other build fixes the issue.

Somebody take me off Smasherx72's wild ride.
What? You didn't tell me anything besides to rewrite the dll files... Nobody is going to know to do that, especially if they're new.

What causes DS? The blogspot PROVED using hex editing to change the filename of JAbo 8 to Jabo 7 causes DS/Errors while using ASM which takes 3-4 more steps (to handle expectations) worked fine with no errors or noticeable DS.

It's not my build, my build is the latest GLideN64 with old Nrage 1.6 and Jabo Audio 1.6.1 (for mario kart).

I also forgot to mention, your version of Kaillera Client messes up my UI with weird letters and doesn't work with different language packs. The one from blogspot has a Fixed window and the font never has glichty Box characters.

I'm not going to keep arguing with you if you're going to dismiss the evidence I've supported. Your anecdotal argument is invalid, the fact is ther is significant differences in the two files that greatly impact the user experience.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Are you able to select random cpus and not desync? If that's truly the case, I'd like to know what plugins you are using.
GLideN64, I suppose the other player was using Jabo8 though.

Yes, It doesn't desynce (at least with my copy). I always press the random cPU button to get a random character to play. I've played at least 3 matches each mat pressing the random cpu button to get a random character.

Hammerheart can confirm, same with Criminal insane / Not Frogles.

I've never had an issue of DS with random character select, only the Random stage causes DS. Random character will cause DS if you rapidly press it a hundred times. But you can press it a few times no ds.

I'm going to be on kaillera in a few minutes, we can play if you wanna see. Same goes with Zantetsu, I'd really like to 5 stock him right about now.

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'm going to be on kaillera in a few minutes, we can play if you wanna see. Same goes with Zantetsu, I'd really like to 5 stock him right about now.
It's okay, I only p2p. We'd probably desync anyway, you know, using different emulators and all ;)

Uair

Banned via Warnings
It's okay, I only p2p. We'd probably desync anyway, you know, using different emulators and all ;)
Madao Madao he's trolling, can't you do something about him and canuet doing this?

It's the same emulator. The only thing that effects the sync is the interaction with the kaillera client. Which your copy, being a faulty res editor/hex editor compiled v ersion, probably would desynce with the original file. At least it wouldn't be as stable as a properly reverse engineered version that accounts for any expectations that may occur.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
The first time I played Smasherx, he ds'd and thought I was cuddly for 2 months because I "rage quit" when i dropped the game.

Top Bottom