• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Matchup

JackhammerM60

Smash Rookie
As Luigi players how do you deal with the Link? What is the approach against him and his unholy boomerang? What stages are best against Link? I get so frustrated with him because he dominates the stage with all his zoning tools, and his speed and power seem to outclass mine. Am I simply dealing with a matter of tiers, or am I not yet good enough?

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
when they throw stuff at you jump over it and then cyclone in. they will still usually be in ending lag unless it is bomb, and you can combo link for days from cyclone :D

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
His projectiles can get annoying, but his fireball cancels out rang. Once link throws out rang, shoot a fireball and then wavedash and get in. Once youre in, you can combo him for days. I'd say go for platform stages vs Link. Dreamland and Battlefield are your best bets. FD works sometimes, I find though.

Basically the link matchup is: Deal with projectiles, go in, combo and take the stock.

JackhammerM60

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys, now I can handle Link pretty fluently and without much problem. I wasn't applying all of Luigi's moves, especially his extremely helpful Cyclone.
Another question, would it be super helpful if I learned to Waveland the fireballs? The timing is strict and considering his traction, gravity and the zero g properties of the fireballs, it seems kinda moot.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, now I can handle Link pretty fluently and without much problem. I wasn't applying all of Luigi's moves, especially his extremely helpful Cyclone.
Another question, would it be super helpful if I learned to Waveland the fireballs? The timing is strict and considering his traction, gravity and the zero g properties of the fireballs, it seems kinda moot.
It's pretty useful. I don't use it much but when i do it catches my opponent by surprise. I'm trying to incorporate it more into my gameplay.

Fortress

Smash Master
Just remember that jab beats out cyclone (at least, I'm pretty sure it does), and it's a very quick attack to throw out, relative to the rest of Link's moveset. If you're fighting a smart Link, they'll leave bombs scattered here and there whenever they get a free moment, so you might find yourself tripping over landmines. Not sure how fireball interacts with planted bombs, I'd have to play with it really quickly.

I feel rather uncomfortable on Wario Ware, to be honest, or anything that's similarly cramped, but that could just be personal preference. Link dominates the match when he's got enough room to stay out of your face, but when you stick him on something like Yoshi's, projectile-reliant Links may find themselves too-easily pressured.

Last edited:
Top Bottom