• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

link guide for the smash 64 by no. 1 smash daddy (I may be needing a little help)

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, I`ll take this chance of doing a link guide from smash 64 since I haven`t seen one in this room, so I`ll try my best to make it a good guide and hope you like it.

About the techniques for ssb64, I`ll be mentioning some of them on the attacks telling you when to use them, so don`t worry to much about them.

Perhaps link has a terrible recovery but that doesn`t mean you shouldn`t choose him, link is a great character for his attacks, and also not that good grab but having the boomerang around, everything will be o.k.

1. attacks
a. tilts and dash
b. B attacks
c. smash attacks
d. aerials
2. grabs
3. combos
4. edgegaurding
5. trying to survive and not get k.o.d fast

1.attacks
a.tilts and dash

AAA: a very good attack that you can use against someone that`s near a wall and not letting him go, but that`s cheating, shame of you if you do this

Utilt: this is the best tilt that links gots, it’s a good attack for using it for combos, it also helps you to protect yourself against rolls, so this is one of the attacks you should use often.

Ftilt: it does good damage but it isn`t that good, it will sometimes come in handy and sometimes it won`t, you can use like when someone is running towards you or you can use Utilt and then Ftilt.

Dtilt: I would consider this tilt the worst cause it doesn`t got good recovery and besides, I recommend you to use the boomerang instead of Dtilt.

Dash attack: this a great attack that you should use often, you can combine this by using the boomerang and then the DA.

b.B attacks

Boomerang: this is the best special attack that link has, I recommend you to use this the most and master it, it helps you too to combine it with attacks like grabs, spin attacks, Fsmash and a dash attack.
There 2 ways to throw this, by doing forward b (like when you do a smash attack) and you`ll throw it far, so it`s more recommended to to throw far than just pressing B, which you don`t throw it far, but sometimes there will be times where you`ll have to throw it by pressing just B, in this case, just do it when someone is running towards you.

Spin attack: a great attack, bad recovery, so try to be careful while recovering and don`t let anyone k.o. you by doing you a dair while coming back to the stage, if you are in the edgehog and someone wants to hit you so he can keep you out of the stage, let go of the edge, jump and do the spin attack to keep him away from hitting you.
It can also be a surprising attack, so that`s another choice to use it, another way is to help you to finish a combo of your own, and of course you can combine it with a boomerang like the com does, and there other many ways to use it, so be using it sometimes.

Bombs: I actually use it like to k.o. someone like this way, I take a bomb-jump-throw the bomb to someone below me-the bomb hits-and I do a dair or a uair.
This just a way of how using it, it`s not necessary for me to tell how to use it cause you should how to use it already.
another way you can use it is by bombing some one with high porcent and shorthop with a fair, this is the one that mooseproduce told me

c.smash attacks

Fsmash: it only helps to damage someone or k.o. someone, you can combine it with a boomerang or use a Utilt and if you raise him do the smash attack, you can also use it when someone is running towards you.

Usmash: a great smash you can use to raise someone and combo him.

Dsmash: the best smash attack the link has, it is recommend it to use this more then the other smash attacks cause it`s very useful against rolls.

d.Aerials

Uair: it helps when some is falling from above you and to k.o. of course
Dair: it`s no necessary for me to explain when to use this, it`s affective and you better z cancel if do this
Bair: when you use this, if it`s possible you can use a bair again
Fair: it doesn`t only do damge, it will also help as a recovery sometimes
Nair: not that great aerial, and the worst, I don`t recommend you to use it.

2.grabs

the grab isn`t that great so it is more recommended to combine it with the boomerang if your going to use this, so there shouldn`t be no problem with the throws

3.combos

the only combo I know is use a Usmash, then use many times Utilts as possible, and to finish the combo, you can use the Ftilt, Fsmash, D smash, or the spin attack.

this is the combo that mooseproduce said: bomb some one and shorthop with a fair and z cancel (you have more chance to do it on high porcents, and there`s another way of using bombs)

If you have a combo for link, you post it this thread, I would appreciated, so I`ll remember you that the utilts work great to do combos, DON`T FORGET IT.

4.edgegaurding

it`s not big deal, just use the smash attacks or the spin attack, the spin attack works great

5.trying to survive and not getting k.o.d fast

since link has a bad recovery, your opponent will take advantage of it and also throws are effective against link, so by not letting yourself get grabed and thrown out of the stage, I tell you that hops work great against grabs, also other attacks like utilt, boomerang and the spin attack (use the SA only when your opponent has high porcent, oh and careful with the rolls, I forgot to mention that on the spin attack).

And while recovering, don`t always end hanging on the edgehog, try getting back to the stage to by not hanging into the edgehog when it`s necessary.

Alright, that`s everything, if you think I`m forgetting something or if I need to add something then just post it in this thread, well hope it`s useful.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
That was fairly lacklustre, but nice effort. Try reading up on short hopping and R-cancelling, it will make your Link skills go through the roof. (Not to mention, combos can be started with a bomb very easily. Or, at higher percentages, bomb them and short hop in with an r-cancelled fair.)

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
so hey everyone, sorry for double posting but, one question for everyone, do you guys think I need to add other stuff into this guide?, I`m starting to think that this guide I made sucks but I want it to be a great guide, so help me out if you think this guide needs more information and that kind of stuff, and be honest, those this guide sucks or what?, that`s what I wanna know. :(

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
I'll be honest with you... it's pretty terrible. Read some threads on "advanced techniques" (like the aforementioned shorthopping and r-cancelling).

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
hey all, Im gonna bring this thread back to life since a few days a go I went back to play smash 64 again, so if anyone feels like helping me, I´ll apreciated, so Ill have to kinda start over and redo all of this, feel free to reed the guide, and of course give any advise if there is any.

thank you.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
ffnair is good. it can set ppl up for combos if used correct. very deadly in hyrule

dtilt will send opponent straight up, perfect for fair or UB or wateva.

bombs are probably one of the most effective edgeguarding move (but no one beats foxkirby's shorthop triple laser). since its an item it will have priorty over most recovery moves (except Ness's successful UB and yoshi's DJ). plus you can throw them in 4 different directions.

a return boomerang has low priority but is indestructable, evading it will make it curve and is an awesome edgeguarding move.

if you tilt the boomerang upwards, a normal throw and back throw will hurl your opponent into the path of the boomerang. so upboomerang + throw will set an opponent nicely up for most moves.

dair is a risky edgeguarding move, but if used successfully you can knock your opponent back and bounce back yourself, but if you miss you're dead.

link has crap jumps, but it means his SHs can be good. SHdair is a good approach. so is SHnair.

boomerang+bomb is a good approach.

Dash attack is a risky move. shieldgrab will own you.

add url to major link battles on youtube.

chuck_schuldiner

Smash Rookie
Don't be so quick to dismiss nair. It is often useful for continuing combos and you can use it before you finish with an upB. It is also one of links quickest air attacks and comes in handy if you want to approach someone from link's front side as his fair can be too slow vs some opponents. Sometimes (if the opponent is not too hurt) you can even use an utilt right after and start a combo. All of link's aerials are good and you can't be a great link without putting all of them to use.

Also, I don't consider uair a good finisher as it requires very high percentages to KO. It is most useful against noob kirbies and jigglies who spam dair all the time as it has better priority than most dairs. If your really good at z cancelling and short hopping you can also use it to juggle a little before using an upB.

It does appear that you made a good effort to make a nice guide, kudos to that. You may just have a little to learn or need some advice for finishing it.

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
hey nice stuff you mentioned there, I´ll consider what you guys posted and thanks, I haven´t read this guide in while, so I´ll give it a check and rewrite a little bit, I hope I start passing the edited guide to the computer next week, until then...

cam`

Smash Apprentice
links dash attack has pretty bad lag but it's out for a long time and has range, and works to tech-chase in a pinch

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
links dash attack has pretty bad lag but it's out for a long time and has range, and works to tech-chase in a pinch
Links dash attack to me is a bit broken seeing as even juring the recovery of the attack you can still get hit by it -.- and tis range extends through his body...reminds me of Fox's Usmash and its wierd hit box =.=

Zantetsu2

Smash Apprentice
Links dash attack to me is a bit broken seeing as even juring the recovery of the attack you can still get hit by it -.- and tis range extends through his body...reminds me of Fox's Usmash and its wierd hit box =.=
The whole game is broken so why are you complaining?

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I actually never knew about that. Hmmm, does anyone know about the glitch my friend Ice Kokiri found? It's a kirby glitch where you suck up link and get his boomerang power, then you could throw the boomerang through walls. It's pretty weird. She showed me one time when we were playing. She jumped off the ledge and did a boomerang and it went completely through the wall and attacked me at the middle of the stage 0_o. Neph might know what I'm talking about XD.

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I actually never knew about that. Hmmm, does anyone know about the glitch my friend Ice Kokiri found? It's a kirby glitch where you suck up link and get his boomerang power, then you could throw the boomerang through walls. It's pretty weird. She showed me one time when we were playing. She jumped off the ledge and did a boomerang and it went completely through the wall and attacked me at the middle of the stage 0_o. Neph might know what I'm talking about XD.
Thank Malva.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwchJZKdpuo

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
that's new, my friend found out about it a while back....omgosh I'm hoping that Isai didn't know about this a few months back >_> me wants gloryyy for my friend XD.

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
hey, can anyone tell me what techniques are used here?, I was going to try to use melee tachniques and put them in this guide, but what Ive seen is that the techniques in smash 64 are different, any help?

Top Bottom