• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I generally keep using Dthrow until Uthrow will kill, even after 130%. Dthrow can stale and puts opponents in a bad position even without guaranteed followups. Unless the opponent is worse off being thrown offstage, then I F/Bthrow. My rule of thumb is Uthrow at 160% starts being a safe killing bet for lighter characters or with rage and after 180% you'll probably kill no matter what.

Edit The next LoZ will finally be shown at E3. Here's some art.

Last edited:

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
Wheeew, I am happy as a fool with the material from the new Zelda game... I think the title 'Breath of the Wild' is kind of odd but also very different and could mark a very interesting turn for the series. I think the exploration and customizable aspects of link will be very neat.

I really love the dark souls games so I was honestly hoping there would be some rpg elements and I'm also satisfied with how the animation style strikes me as distinctly LoZ.
... Back to waiting T_T

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So for real, what is Link exactly in this game? I didn't end up watching the whole stream or anything; stopped watching soon after the shield snowboarding because I didn't want to spoil too much. But what I'm getting at is the opening of the game, where Link wakes up, and he's inside some kind of suspended animation device and everything is super high-tech. I can only assume Link is from the past where technology used to be more advanced and that he was suspended in time to be awoken when the 'sensors' detected 'evil' etc. But then if this is the case, which Link is he? "that must shine upon Hyrule once again", as in he's done this before, perhaps many times.
Anyway the game looks really well polished, the game-world is absolutely huge while still being filled to the brim with stuff to do and discover, and I'm really liking all the things they've brought back as well as everything new they've added. I just wish they'd release it already. I mean let's be real, it's finished. They're just waiting on the NX at this point.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
One of the things I'm concerned about is, while it's an open world game and has many things to do in the Huge world they presented to us there's something Aonuma said that has me worried.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233933

Basically You can beat The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without finishing the story... as in as soon as Link wakes up ( if you know where it is) go and fight the final boss of the game.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
One of the things I'm concerned about is, while it's an open world game and has many things to do in the Huge world they presented to us there's something Aonuma said that has me worried.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233933

Basically You can beat The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without finishing the story... as in as soon as Link wakes up ( if you know where it is) go and fight the final boss of the game.
well.... okay, that is a bit of a concern

Why would they allow you to do that i want to know?

Though for some reason it reminds me of the original Zelda and skyrim a bit with this

:135:

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
well.... okay, that is a bit of a concern

Why would they allow you to do that i want to know?

Though for some reason it reminds me of the original Zelda and skyrim a bit with this

:135:
While having freedom to do what we want is surely welcomed in a open world game, but to the extent that Aonuma said raises a lot of questions at least for me. Just the fact it's a thing is questionable as is, what if a player who wants to figure out the story and find out why Link was asleep and what happened in this worlds Hyrule, doesn't get too because they accidentally ran into an event such as a Boss battle that forces them to move on? or What if you run into an encounter and aren't prepared for it? or while doing a side mission to know more on the story accidentally come across a Boss and be forced to play along and then after said event not be able to go back and do what you were up to before because you progressed further in the game? these are just some of the many questions I have unless there's like contingencies for it or safeguards to prevent something like what I said before from happening then that's 1 thing. As far as I'm concerned the game is already done they're just waiting on the NX, think about it a 7 hour stream for 1 game and they showed off a lot if not everything that means it's been completed for a bit now...

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
If the game progressed and shaped up differently depending on all the different orders you could complete it in, that would be so incredibly amazing.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I pre-ordered LoZ BotW. Too bad Paper Mario Color whatever is using Sticker Star formula. Monster Hunter Gen looks awesome but I don't own a 3DS :(.
I've been busy helping my family lately. My Grandma is 92 and lives with my mom. She falls sometimes and goes to the hospital/doctor's.

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
I actually rather like the fact that you may be able to beat the game without completing a set story line, in the extreme case by progressing to the boss immediately, and I think this is a particular aspect of the very first LoZ game that the developers wanted to bring back. (Like how you technically don't have to do all the dungeons or even have a sword until the end). It's possible there could still be a tremendously rich story through context even without story being at the forefront (ehemdarksouls) and it might make the satisfaction of exploration and side quests truly feel like you're uncovering secrets. I like both types of games, but this looks like it's going to be very different from say Twilight Princess in terms of how directed the player is. That said, I will be very confused if the game does not add to the continuity and I'm gunna need some convincing as to why wolf link shows up. :p

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Wolf Link there because of Amiibo. Also looks like it's in the Adult timeline because of the appearence of the Korok, evolved Kokiri that only appears in Wind Waker, which is set in the Adult timeline.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
I actually rather like the fact that you may be able to beat the game without completing a set story line, in the extreme case by progressing to the boss immediately, and I think this is a particular aspect of the very first LoZ game that the developers wanted to bring back. (Like how you technically don't have to do all the dungeons or even have a sword until the end). It's possible there could still be a tremendously rich story through context even without story being at the forefront (ehemdarksouls) and it might make the satisfaction of exploration and side quests truly feel like you're uncovering secrets. I like both types of games, but this looks like it's going to be very different from say Twilight Princess in terms of how directed the player is. That said, I will be very confused if the game does not add to the continuity and I'm gunna need some convincing as to why wolf link shows up. :p
Wolf Link shows up because having a wolf friend from the Twilight Realm teleported from another timeline to help their other incarnation is awesome.

Okami Spoilers
Like that part in Okami where you help original Okami defeat the Orochi, and then he/she follows you into the future to help you defeat twin bosses in double godly glory.

Chaoslink

Smash Cadet
NNID
chaosl1nk
sorry if this isn't the place for this question, but how do you guys deal with unusual/unfamiliar matchups with link? Two tournaments in a row I've gone 0-2 cause I've fought matchups I'm not familiar with, the first time being against mewtwo and little mac, today I played against lucas, just curious.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Go to the training room, play around with the character, see what their moves are. What's good, what's bad, where they like to be, and figure out where you have the advantage. Make the unfamiliar familiar.

For example, it you use Little Mac for a bit, you'll find his smashes has super armor, and hit tilts are fast and good combo starters. You'll also learn you suck in the air and off-stage and need to be center stage on omegas to play to your strengths. This means you don't do well vs grabs and get juggled or being tossed offstage. You will also find you don't have a great grab, so you don't do well vs shields.

So now you look at Link's kit. Link has good juggles that come off of a tether grab, and he's pretty good offstage. So you can shield and grab him, or grab him on his dash in, and juggle Little Mac. Or stay near the edge where he doesn't like to be, and toss him off-stage for an edge guard. If you're a Mac Player, you might want to stay center stage, but Link has projectiles to force an approach.

If you want to know just how to fight a character the moment you meet him, you might try observing the player and checking out their individual habits, or trying Link stuff and seeing if they have character knowledge or counters to your usual habits. You might also try fighting around global rules. For example, timing your attacks when they land off a jump, to punish the obligatory landing lag. Tech chases, roll punishes, ect.

I try to feel out opponents by throwing some projectiles at them to see how comfortable they are shielding and power shielding, and using the jab cancel to see if they're a button mash, or they know if they can react after the second jab to inform me of how I'll need to play. Down throw once to see if they know how to DI correctly. That lets me know how much they know the match up, how much I can get away with, and give me some tendencies and habits to work with, as well as a general idea of their skill and adaptability so I can make educated predictions.

Checking out the Metagame and Match Up threads on this board is also helpful, and I think those are the right places for this discussion, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Anyone see Lawz at Apex? He was on stream in a sheik ditto and against umeki. Too bad he ain't playing link... of course

I drove to national in france and back yesterday and next to being checked for drunk driving (I was not drunk, just stupid, and they let me go) went smooth, french link there was doing pretty well and eliminated two of the dutchies that came with me

also lolol @yarnfang you played my duck hunt, wii fit, bowser and link on FG, was on someone else's account

D

Deleted member

Oh Dumbfire Dumbfire ... I was surprised when I saw back throw bomb slides :) So that explains quite a bit.
Would have used my Ganondorf as well had I known... my 2nd main believe it or not :/

Edit: I think I used my Ganondorf and failed like half of my tech because I input it all to fast... So that's cool

Last edited by a moderator:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Im ready for Zelda WiiU. Got TP HD, Wolf Link Amiibo, Link amiibo, Zelda amiibo, and ganon amiibo. Also got that 100$ in my eshop account off some of my tourney money lmao. So rdy.

Last edited:

LakerLink

Smash Cadet
I have actually played against a really good palutena online. That's perfect case of I got no idea how to fight this character, nobudy uses it, and yea I got smoked baddd.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
I drove to national in france and back yesterday and next to being checked for drunk driving (I was not drunk, just stupid, and they let me go) went smooth, french link there was doing pretty well and eliminated two of the dutchies that came with me
LMAO this does not surprise me

D

Deleted member

I never really saw much reason for the social thread at all to be honest. You can't really have any fluid conversation with fast answers back due to it being layouts out as a forum. And everything that you may want to say considering Link have a better place on one of the other Link threads. If there was a Link Discord though I'd imagine that would be a lot more lively... maybe there is, I wouldn't know.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
I never really saw much reason for the social thread at all to be honest. You can't really have any fluid conversation with fast answers back due to it being layouts out as a forum. And everything that you may want to say considering Link have a better place on one of the other Link threads. If there was a Link Discord though I'd imagine that would be a lot more lively... maybe there is, I wouldn't know.

:217:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Want to hear a joke? So a man is up for parole and one of the parole board members asks "how do you respond to the prison psychiatrist's claim that you suffer from multiple personality disorder and are a pathological liar?" The man in question stands and states "we adamantly deny these claims!"

YourAverageNintendoKid

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-7050-4017
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that would rather have OoT Link and Zelda, or a less gritty Mario, Luigi or Bowser.
What do you think??

LakerLink

Smash Cadet
Stryker95 Stryker95 i was checking those out before I posted on here,

You know how we had(or tried to have) a discussion on who is the best link in sm4sh. I'm actually kind of curious who is the crappiest link main on these boards aside from me of course.

My money would be on @Elessar :)

Top Bottom