• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Hello all! I'm brand new to smashboards save the occasional lurk but this community is what's up. I have loved playing smash since 64, although I never really got into brawl or project M. I do not have a wii u for a few more weeks however the 3ds version reminded me of my mission in life to bring it with link. The only "tournament" (in massive quotes) type settings I have played in were at conventions but I'm moving to Cali soon where there seems to be much more smash happening than in Wisconsin.. So yeah! Looking to talk amongst kindred spirits and learn a lot about the game.
Peace
Ladies take notes. This is the kind of line I dream of coming across on Tinder.

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
Ladies take notes. This is the kind of line I dream of coming across on Tinder.

So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong.
I've been real confused about how to bring up my... Link devotion... Without causing alarm.

^actual screenshot

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
I request some advice for fighting Wario, as my city has one for some reason.

I was shut down by his airspeed and aerials and invincible inflato hands, as well generally not knowing anything about Wario and his (decent?) frame data.

Our MU thread only mentions using zair to get him off the bike. If anyone has any more advice than that...

http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-wario.404384/

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
So... What's the jambs? I'm just curious as to what y'all listen to- in my (limited at best?) experience a link must be patient and calculate the confirms . so what is the background music? I have one; but it may be too passive.. still a good song tho ;0
https://youtu.be/10xwyADw4gI

I request some advice for fighting Wario, as my city has one for some reason.

I was shut down by his airspeed and aerials and invincible inflato hands, as well generally not knowing anything about Wario and his (decent?) frame data.

Our MU thread only mentions using zair to get him off the bike. If anyone has any more advice than that...

http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-wario.404384/
DISCLAIMER: this might be a garbage strat.....

In my ... Experience...(which is not a ton clearly) . When I see a wario I end up playing VERY defensively. Many moves, especially the bike do little shield damage, so don't be afraid to shield!! .. so it becomes a grab game. Rack up some damage with jabs and projs, particularly boomarangs
then go for a kill like out of shield up b or grab into fair ' off ledge to punish any low recoveries - wario kind of FORCES you to be creative!

.. Ok but this might be garbage it's just how I play...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wario can be a real pain until you get the spacing down. My only advice is to play safe and keep playing the MU. You'll learn how to space him. :/

I want to get an MP3 player that's easy to use and import songs to from my computer without a lot of bells and whistles. Any recommendations?

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow forgot about muse. Good stuff.
It's cool you know Muse. I only remembered them 10 minutes ago when asked about good Link songs.

This one reminds me of playing Zelda.

Your song was good too by the way, and thank you and Rizen for the advice on Wario.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
DISCLAIMER: this might be a garbage strat.....

In my ... Experience...(which is not a ton clearly) . When I see a wario I end up playing VERY defensively. Many moves, especially the bike do little shield damage, so don't be afraid to shield!! .. so it becomes a grab game. Rack up some damage with jabs and projs, particularly boomarangs
then go for a kill like out of shield up b or grab into fair ' off ledge to punish any low recoveries - wario kind of FORCES you to be creative!

.. Ok but this might be garbage it's just how I play...
Wario can be a real pain until you get the spacing down. My only advice is to play safe and keep playing the MU. You'll learn how to space him. :/
tbh if you have nothing productive to say out of experience from actual decent players in tournies you might as well just say nothing or else you'll just risk giving people a wrong idea on the MU that doesnt help them improve at all. im sure the attempt and intend to help is appreciated but the fact you posted this ''advice'' in social instead of the dedicated thread already shows a clear lack of confidence in which case you should know better. im mostly using you guys as an example now as it doesnt necessarily go to just the two of you, but to anyone who ever intends to give their input on a specific matchup. think twice please.

Rizen

Smash Legend
tbh if you have nothing productive to say out of experience from actual decent players in tournies you might as well just say nothing or else you'll just risk giving people a wrong idea on the MU that doesnt help them improve at all. im sure the attempt and intend to help is appreciated but the fact you posted this ''advice'' in social instead of the dedicated thread already shows a clear lack of confidence in which case you should know better. im mostly using you guys as an example now as it doesnt necessarily go to just the two of you, but to anyone who ever intends to give their input on a specific matchup. think twice please.
Gee Cat can point out what I said that was bad advice?

Edit, I mean we value your tourney expertise and **** but I was just giving support about how I found Wario weird to space too at first. I'm not going to write that in the MU thread.

Last edited:

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
Tbh lack of confidence is my middle name. I know, it's a weird name, but that's what I'm stuck with.

Additional comment deleted because hmm

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Tbh lack of confidence is my middle name. I know, it's a weird name, but that's what I'm stuck with.

Although really- what you say is valid but this is the social thread? I'm new but was under the impression this specific place was rather informal :''[ crying I'm sorry if my strat is garbage BUT I said so at least twice in the post... Garbage...... I don't want fights...That said, what's the best way to fight a GOOD wario? Idk Stay patient?
This is the social thread. It is rather informal. But information is information. Some of us have to spend too much time correcting/ disproving wrong information all the time. You are new so I won't blame you for it (but I do hope you read the "Read This Before Posting" thread) but it is quite often that people give bad information and it spreads into people believing in it.
And as Cat said
just say nothing or else you'll just risk giving people a wrong idea on the MU that doesnt help them improve at all. im sure the attempt and intend to help is appreciated
So just be careful of what you say. I personally have no real experience and only stick to labbing for now, so in a situation like "How do we beat Wario?" I keep my mouth shut or post information that can be tested via labbing. If you are unsure if information is correct, you can always PM someone who would know. (For labbing stuff it is usually Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive .)
Anyhow, stick around and learn some stuff, enjoy the people here, but make sure your information (or strat) isn't garbage before posting, disclaimers attached or not.

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you're officially admitted to the Link boards until you get yelled at for posting in the wrong thread, so congratulations on making it through your initiation!

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
One of us! ONE OF US!
chanting continues

Ok, noted. Thanks for the initiation, I won't do it again :)

EDIT: *erhem* so that seems like a kind of boring way to end, so...
Here's an actual smash related question! (Kind of)
So like most.. Sports... (I only really played tennis and figure skating, but the latter isn't really combatative...) I feel like in order to get better you have to play against really good players! So.. How do you guys practice? Additionally, I am moving to LA in a few weeks to start grad school (so I may drop off the face of the earth) but if anyone is in the area I'm hoping to aquaint some smash (link main) friends (no pressure to say where you are, I just figured I'd throw that out)

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
this is the kind of stupidity that just makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. had to say it.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
So... What's the jambs? I'm just curious as to what y'all listen to- in my (limited at best?) experience a link must be patient and calculate the confirms . so what is the background music? I have one; but it may be too passive.. still a good song tho ;0
https://youtu.be/10xwyADw4gI
if i play at home it's with music off just character sounds, background music is just noise (I'm rather tired of the game's music too). I don't mean to be pretentious but it is true for me that the more i appreciate music the less I want to hear it as background noise, and I could go on like adorno about the terrors of 24/7 radio and consumption culture associated with it. but when an AUC teacher (author of an interesting history of Harlem incidentally) invited me to his lecture on 60s counterculture he admitted to me the only music he could listen to as background music was minimalism, which of course makes sense. I pointed to Music for 18 Musicians and the music of Morton Feldman; he pointed to other men who I wrote down somewhere and promptly forgot

in tourney if you want to listen to music plugging into the game's music is, in the experience of smashers I know, by far the most effective. im afraid I'm misunderstanding something essential about your question tho (?)

Last edited:

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
if i play at home it's with music off just character sounds, background music is just noise (I'm rather tired of the game's music too). I don't mean to be pretentious but it is true for me that the more i appreciate music the less I want to hear it as background noise, and I could go on like adorno about the terrors of 24/7 radio and consumption culture associated with it. but when an AUC teacher (author of an interesting history of Harlem incidentally) invited me to his lecture on 60s counterculture he admitted to me the only music he could listen to as background music was minimalism, which of course makes sense. I pointed to Music for 18 Musicians and the music of Morton Feldman; he pointed to other men who I wrote down somewhere and promptly forgot

in tourney if you want to listen to music plugging into the game's music is, in the experience of smashers I know, by far the most effective. im afraid I'm misunderstanding something essential about your question tho (?)
No, no, that's exactly what I was asking! And I rather like the idea of only have sound effects on instead of music.
The first link you posted isn't working :( but! I actually really like Steve Reich- as far as minimalism goes the pieces are very.. Musical? I don't know how else to put it, but I used to play in an orchestra and it was 'Phillip Glass this, Phillip Glass that..' And even as a mathematician WOW THAT STUFF IS BORING. I'll have to check out Feldman, thanks for sharing :]

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
No, no, that's exactly what I was asking! And I rather like the idea of only have sound effects on instead of music.
The first link you posted isn't working :( but! I actually really like Steve Reich- as far as minimalism goes the pieces are very.. Musical? I don't know how else to put it, but I used to play in an orchestra and it was 'Phillip Glass this, Phillip Glass that..' And even as a mathematician WOW THAT STUFF IS BORING. I'll have to check out Feldman, thanks for sharing :]
I fixed the link, and the only Philip Glass album worth getting is the one that has Schnittke on it too, because Schnittke is one of the finest composers of the last century and I'll continuously proselytize for him

There's a minimalist festival here in Amsterdam every year, and a fan was explaining me how boring it was to see Terry Riley perform impromptu, improvised pieces on prepared piano (lol). Minimalists often don't know how to far to push it but Feldman did: I know musicians who will rave about his skill and artistry to no end... Listen to his 6 hour long, single movement String Quartet No. 2 and you'll be a changed man by the end.

LakerLink

Smash Cadet
I Disagree on your opinion here is why. Just becuase your not good at the game or lack of tournament expierence doesn't mean you can't give good tips or great advice. I think the best minds in sports are generally people that didn't play the sport proffesionaly or the ones that weren't that great. Ex Phil Jackson greatest coach all time, horrible NBA player, Greg popvich great mind never played the game proffesionaly.

just Cuase somebody is worse then you doesn't mean there going give bad advice( but there is a bigger chance that they will) and there is more then one way play link

My two cents on the subject

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
One of us! ONE OF US!
chanting continues

Ok, noted. Thanks for the initiation, I won't do it again :)

EDIT: *erhem* so that seems like a kind of boring way to end, so...
Here's an actual smash related question! (Kind of)
So like most.. Sports... (I only really played tennis and figure skating, but the latter isn't really combatative...) I feel like in order to get better you have to play against really good players! So.. How do you guys practice? Additionally, I am moving to LA in a few weeks to start grad school (so I may drop off the face of the earth) but if anyone is in the area I'm hoping to aquaint some smash (link main) friends (no pressure to say where you are, I just figured I'd throw that out)
Are you sure about that?
Seems awfully violent.

Where are you going to school, MIT? (no pressure)

Cali has a lot of good locals and players though. Like. The best ones.

You're an incredibly well rounded individual.

Phillip Glass really is the only name that gets thrown around. He was even the answer to the only Jeopardy question I ever saw on Minimalism.

I tend to tune out the music and just listen to the sound effects for audio cues. The only music I can't tune to white noise are English vocals, or the few foreign songs I learned the (pseudo) lyrics to. Otherwise I need to actively pay attention to the music, which won't happen in a match. I sort of wish Smash let you put any song on any stage.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I Disagree on your opinion here is why. Just becuase your not good at the game or lack of tournament expierence doesn't mean you can't give good tips or great advice. I think the best minds in sports are generally people that didn't play the sport proffesionaly or the ones that weren't that great. Ex Phil Jackson greatest coach all time, horrible NBA player, Greg popvich great mind never played the game proffesionaly.

just Cuase somebody is worse then you doesn't mean there going give bad advice( but there is a bigger chance that they will) and there is more then one way play link

My two cents on the subject
You're twisting what Cat said. Let me break it down for you.
tbh if you have nothing productive to say out of experience from actual decent players in tournies
We are talking here about having actually played the MU in a serious setting against other players who are decent. There is nothing here that says anything about how good you personally are at the game.
you might as well just say nothing or else you'll just risk giving people a wrong idea on the MU that doesnt help them improve at all.
Not saying that you will give bad advice, just that there is a risk of bad advice, a real risk. And this makes perfect sense. I personally don't typically post about MU discussions because of this reason. Note also that there is a real concern for other people.
im sure the attempt and intend to help is appreciated but the fact you posted this ''advice'' in social instead of the dedicated thread already shows a clear lack of confidence in which case you should know better.
Appreciation for the effort followed by sound reasoning based on the facts at hand.
im mostly using you guys as an example now as it doesnt necessarily go to just the two of you
Nothing personal.
but to anyone who ever intends to give their input on a specific matchup. think twice please.
Advice given to everyone regardless of skill level that further backs up the claim that the concern and focus of the post is for other people who come onto the boards and trust what people say here. We have a duty to others to make sure the information given is sound.

How exactly you took this and interpreted it to mean 'if you're not a good player then you are incapable of giving good advice' is absolutely beyond me. Don't do that again.

Naturally I agree with you that there are people who may not be great players who are nonetheless great theorists, and I'm sure that Cat would agree too. But understand also that people like Phil Jackson will be rare and their status as an exception to the rule must be affirmed by people who are actually good and is not to be assumed or claimed before that time.

My two dollars on the subject.

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
Dumbfire Dumbfire yeah the link works now! Interesting subject- I'm from the Midwest so definitely not a region I know much about. Also I had no idea there was Dutch influence at Harlem that's very cool.
I have never heard of Schnittke but I just vegged out to 'Concerto Grosso no. 1' and I can definitely tell he is an amazing composer! I love dissonance so I was sold pretty quickly but the way he understands the instruments and how they can be played is fabulous ^__^
Lord Renning Lord Renning Blades of glory is a masterpiece that really gets to the truth about figure skating, and a lot of people in the USFSA (United States figure skating association) HATE that movie, which kind of makes me like it more ;)
Haha I'm going to UCLA,which is a dream come true for me. ^^
Thank you, by the way- I 100% owe my 'well roundedness' to my family which was full of interesting people.
It's interesting that you mention 'English vocals'- I agree it's hard to tune out words that have any kind of meaning, so for instance I tend to listen to Russian pop when I'm doing homework XD

PS: any CS:GO fans here? Cloud9 v Luminosity- This match is HYPE! It's so weird it's on television o_O

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I looked it up and settled on getting a SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player.

I like a lot of 80s and 90s music. My favorite bands are Rush and R.E.M.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Dumbfire Dumbfire yeah the link works now! Interesting subject- I'm from the Midwest so definitely not a region I know much about. Also I had no idea there was Dutch influence at Harlem that's very cool.
I have never heard of Schnittke but I just vegged out to 'Concerto Grosso no. 1' and I can definitely tell he is an amazing composer! I love dissonance so I was sold pretty quickly but the way he understands the instruments and how they can be played is fabulous ^__^
Lord Renning Lord Renning Blades of glory is a masterpiece that really gets to the truth about figure skating, and a lot of people in the USFSA (United States figure skating association) HATE that movie, which kind of makes me like it more ;)
Haha I'm going to UCLA,which is a dream come true for me. ^^
Thank you, by the way- I 100% owe my 'well roundedness' to my family which was full of interesting people.
It's interesting that you mention 'English vocals'- I agree it's hard to tune out words that have any kind of meaning, so for instance I tend to listen to Russian pop when I'm doing homework XD

PS: any CS:GO fans here? Cloud9 v Luminosity- This match is HYPE! It's so weird it's on television o_O
You're a regular rebel.

My family knew a lot of students and professors, some mathematicians in fact, that went and taught at UCLA back in the day. Good school, great stuff. Congrats on getting in. Your family sounds cool. It really is the meaning. I pay too much attention to what they're saying. It always baffled me when classmates would tell me they didn't pay attention to the lyrics of their favorite songs. I never got how you could like something you didn't pay any attention to. Hit me up with some some Rpop reccs sometime, I like world music.

I was watching Cloud9 vs Luminosity at a bar earlier. It was side by side with UFC. The bartender was telling me how glad he was it was finally on ESPN getting recognition. "About time," he said. It was far more interesting than the fight.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I like playing Smash while listening to music that gets me pumped up. Been listening to a lot of Disturbed lately.

Alfador!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ninjaswhere
3DS FC
5043-5454-9792
Lord Renning Lord Renning hah I have been known to periodically rouse a few rabbles. Yeah it seems like a nice place to live and work and a great program for what I want to do- I'll be likely doing analytical chemistry which my previous school had like no funding in so its a new world O_O
World music makes Rpop sound so sophisticated XD I usually just find YouTube mixes like https://youtu.be/aAXfzf-0zSw or something because I rather like dancy-club music when I'm trying to multitask and admittedly the subject and lyrics are probably exactly the same as US pop but I get to not care! And if it's a gut talking about butts for a solid 6 min? none the wiser.
Dude. It's super crazy that CS gained so much popularity. Watching CS at a bar sounds like a good time to me XD Heck, I somehow ended up watching 2 maps and most of the third... >__> (C9 played so well :'[ ) I think they said at one point the prize money was over a million$ and thats pretty incredible. I only really played Source and then I never would've imagined the day matches would be friggin televised.
link7 link7 Disturbed seems like it would be good smash music
Ok.. Sorry these posts are getting so lengthly. :p

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Alfador! Alfador! Budgets are amazing things. My school wouldn't know about them. What was your old school, and what drew you to analytic chemistry? Did it involve Breaking Bad? Ditto on foreign pop. It's free to be vapid if it has a good beat. The worst decision I ever made was turning on the English subtitles for Gundam Wing's opening. Took me ages to forget it was entirely about sex.

That game had a million dollar prize? They got more than the people who were bleeding on the t.v. next to them. That's like the 120k prize pot for the recent Age of Empires II tournament. Or Pokken.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Videos from my latest tourney this past weekend. Made 7th out of 58. A little disappointed in my performance, choked in a couple sets but whatever.
https://www.twitch.tv/saltdeliverysquad/v/69157238

5:25:00 I play against RDR7, who Zero mentioned in one of his vids as probably the best Jiggs main (and also a really cool guy).
4:57:30 I play against another Link main in the area.

BONUS! Me playing as Robin in doubles!
50:00 Me (Robin) and ProfeDog (Mario)
1:24:00 Us again
2:03:00 Last game on stream

Top Bottom