• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
From reddit:
GonzaloZeRo 60 points 11 hours ago

"Actually for the first part of this video series I got actual rage/angry PM's from players who thought they deserved the spot, or people attacking me for stating my opinion. That's why I mention it so much, sometimes people really forget."

This only proves what this board was thinking ages ago. Talking about this is a bad idea. It's likely to cause more harm than good.

Also LakerLink LakerLink you're pretty new here iirc, so I'm not surprised you hadn't heard of Scizor, just saying. The video archive thread usually helps show off some good Link mains :).

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Looks like a Link (BlueLink) won an Italian national (Icarus II). I posted the results in the tourney thread, but I'll also post them here since I've mentioned it.

top 8 for Icarus II
1) BlueLink :4link::4tlink:(he used mainly regular Link tho):4charizard:(used in top 16/8 sometimes):4marth:(used in GF once to win a game)
2) MarthForever :4diddy:
3) Lanz :4rob:
4) Shunf :4dk:(he was the one sending Elmoro's Bayonetta to the losers side with quite a solid performance and AMAZING DI)
5) Genarog :4lucas::4pit:(used only once against MarthForever and lost)
5) Ryusei :4cloud::4shulk:(used in a game in top 8 but lost):4myfriends:( dunno if he used him) (as you can see he likes big swords)
7) Elmoro :4yoshi::4bayonetta2:
7) Orso :4ganondorf::4bowser:(I think he went solo Ganon tho, might have used Bowser offscreen)

I just wanted to say that by watching BlueLink play I almost started to believe that RadicalLarry might not be all that crazy while talking about Link (almost though)
I think that some of the matches played were quite interesting to say the least, in particular the ones played by BlueLink, MarthForever and Orso, so I kind of recomed to give 'em a look if you have some spare time (I might link them in this very thread when they'll be finally uploaded on youtube, they really give some perspective on some matchups)

extra: tied at 9th: Chimera:4corrinf::4palutena:, Danu:4fox:, Dinamirer:4ness:, Enygma (used like half the cast so I don't feel like listing anyone)

I'm (probably) done with my talking about this tournament, I hope I didn't annoy anyone

Late edit: I also posted links to the matches on the twitch stream in the Video thread, here's the link to the top 64: https://www.twitch.tv/smashbrositalia/v/62569093

I'd love to see some thoughts on this Link. Seems pretty decent, and kind of different in his own way.

Last edited:

LakerLink

Smash Cadet
Well in other news I traveled out of town for a tourney I won my first 3 and got lost some close matches two diffrent link mains, I realize I blow at the mirror matchup

One of the links I lost too is freakin good He goes by "tall guy"

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd love to see some thoughts on this Link. Seems pretty decent, and kind of different in his own way.
Off the top of my head, he seems to lack knowledge of Link's AT's and instead focuses his tricks on Z-dropping/catching (late Z-drop to Grab is really good so it was nice to see it getting some love). That's probably one of the main things I'd take away from his playstyle. He possibly still has some Brawl habits (I could have sworn that I saw him try to tether the ledge after having just let go of it). I'm guessing that he doesn't use an A-stick based on him missing a few guaranteed D-throw to Uairs and the fact that his item throws were generally smash throws (or dash throws, which sort of compensated for the lack of bombslides, except that in many instances it meant he was out of range to get a follow up). His opponents (notably the DK) tended to drop their shields too early and/or expected to be able to shield immediately out of a dash, making his camp game seem more effective than it otherwise would have been (but that's not a fault on his part at all; if it's working, keep doing it). Good use of charged arrows. No trump game to speak of (on either side, not that I'm one to talk). His 'FH bomb pull to DJ bomb throw down' habit was a bit predictable, and you can see the Diddy calling him out on it a few times.
Aaaaand, he has a great facial hair game...

I wasn't exactly watching it intending to answer this though, as I only just saw the edit, so I'm sure I missed a lot more worth noting, but whatever.

LegendOfZeldaNut

Proud Bearer of the Triforce of Courage
Hi there!
LegendOfZeldaNut here, (tho you may know me as PeachGirl, I changed my name)
I used to main Peach but she was just not for me. I've always loved Zelda so I tried out Link, and it was love at first sight. I also use Toon Link as a Plan B, with Peach being a Plan C. I am happy there is a social thread, as Peach had none. I also am currently playing MM with my 7 year old sis playing WW last I checked. Can't find that stupid Bunny Hood for the life of me! :rolleyes:

LegendOfZeldaNut

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Wuzzup:p? Anyone have Starfox Zero? I'm on the fence about getting it.
I've heard mixed things about it, mainly how unresponsive the motion controls are. Game looks fun to say the least, but not sure if i'd get it.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Why aren't you coming? I sent you an invite ages ago. I would have housed you too.
Sadly flight costs to the US are too expensive, but speaking of this, BlessedSpartan the UK Link is coming to Avalon June 2 and will be housed by me, so one more Link rep there at least

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
General Link question, what is the best way to punish rolls behind Link? I used Dsmash but it often misses from lack of active frames. Is spin attack worth using?
Dsmash is way too slow, do turn-around something (like turn-around dsmash or preferably turn-around jab) or b-reversed spin attack. Or dash a little pivot ftilt, which also has small hitbox behind it so if they keep rolling in ftilt is great to spam

Also watch Zero's diddy you'll see him turn-around dtilt for roll behinds, that's great cause link can get guaranteed fair / uair

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Dsmash is way too slow, do turn-around something (like turn-around dsmash or preferably turn-around jab) or b-reversed spin attack. Or dash a little pivot ftilt, which also has small hitbox behind it so if they keep rolling in ftilt is great to spam

Also watch Zero's diddy you'll see him turn-around dtilt for roll behinds, that's great cause link can get guaranteed fair / uair
Why would DTilt lead to a guaranteed Fair / UAir? Those only work if they don't DI away or at like 0% (for Fair).

Also I know you've brought this up in the metagame thread before, but you seem really against using the backend of UTilt. How long does a pivot take btw? 1 frame? Pivot UTilt might be about 3 frames faster than the very last active frame of UTilt (frame 12), but it doesn't seem to be a huge difference imo. Any advantage is great for sure, but it's not like a huge no-no imo.

Also, cool that you're housing a UK Link!

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
NOOOOO!!!
(thanks for linking it though.)

Also I know you've brought this up in the metagame thread before, but you seem really against using the backend of UTilt. How long does a pivot take btw? 1 frame? Pivot UTilt might be about 3 frames faster than the very last active frame of UTilt (frame 12), but it doesn't seem to be a huge difference imo. Any advantage is great for sure, but it's not like a huge no-no imo.
Yeah turning around takes 1 frame only if you want to e.g. turn around D-tilt/U-tilt (otherwise there are options that turn you around and don't drop any frames). If you have the A-stick, it's very possible to do turn around U-tilts with practically frame perfection. In some scenarios every frame matters. Choosing to do a turn around U-tilt over a standard U-tilt can mean the difference between e.g. getting a guaranteed U-tilt out of a landing Bair to seal the stock/game/set and risking having your U-tilt shielded/airdodged/avoided with DJ (+ airdodge).

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOO!!!
(thanks for linking it though.)

Yeah turning around takes 1 frame only if you want to e.g. turn around D-tilt/U-tilt (otherwise there are options that turn you around and don't drop any frames). If you have the A-stick, it's very possible to do turn around U-tilts with practically frame perfection. In some scenarios every frame matters. Choosing to do a turn around U-tilt over a standard U-tilt can mean the difference between e.g. getting a guaranteed U-tilt out of a landing Bair to seal the stock/game/set and risking having your U-tilt shielded/airdodged/avoided with DJ (+ airdodge).
Are we talking about BAir 1 to pivot UTilt? I thought that was rarely guaranteed?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Are we talking about BAir 1 to pivot UTilt? I thought that was rarely guaranteed?
As far as I'm aware, Bair 1 to turn around U-tilt (performed correctly) is always guaranteed against every character at any percent. It can be made easier if you hold the joystick backwards during/after the Bair to buffer the turn around then get the U-tilt with a well-timed A-stick up. If you're too early with the A-stick Up input, oh well, you get a normal non-turn-around U-tilt which might work anyway; but if you get it just right, that's a guaranteed U-tilt, so why not hold back on the joystick all the time just in case?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
So a tourney Link player walks into a For Glory bar and the bar tender says "sorry we only serve for glory players here". So the Link player leaves.
The next day he disguises himself as a Captain Falcon player and walks into the FG bar. The bar tender says "I told you yesterday we only serve FG players here!" So the tourney player leaves.
The next day he disguises himself as a Marth player and walks into the bar. The bar tender says "I told you twice we only serve FG players here!" So the tourney player leaves.
The next day he disguises himself as a Cloud player and walks into the bar. The bar tender says "I keep telling you we only serve FG players here!" The tourney player finally asks "how did you know it was me?". The bar tender responds "you keep walking instead of spamming rolls in here."

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
As far as I'm aware, Bair 1 to turn around U-tilt (performed correctly) is always guaranteed against every character at any percent. It can be made easier if you hold the joystick backwards during/after the Bair to buffer the turn around then get the U-tilt with a well-timed A-stick up. If you're too early with the A-stick Up input, oh well, you get a normal non-turn-around U-tilt which might work anyway; but if you get it just right, that's a guaranteed U-tilt, so why not hold back on the joystick all the time just in case?
Hm interesting. But I assume the main problem is getting the BAir 1 to hit safely in the first place?

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Bair-> turn around Utilt has the same speed that turn around Spin Attack (8 frames). I'm very versed in this matter: The fastest follow up is Bair->turn around Jab (frame 7). I think that is guaranteed ALWAYS; but Bair->turn around Spin/Utilt can be perfect shielded by Fox (1 frame is huge).
Bair->Turn around Spin Attack is one of the best kill setup we have, it can kill in very low percentage (between 80%~ to 110%~ depending on characther and distance with the ledge).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hm interesting. But I assume the main problem is getting the BAir 1 to hit safely in the first place?
Sure.
Bair-> turn around Utilt has the same speed that turn around Spin Attack (8 frames). I'm very versed in this matter: The fastest follow up is Bair->turn around Jab (frame 7). I think that is guaranteed ALWAYS; but Bair->turn around Spin/Utilt can be perfect shielded by Fox (1 frame is huge).
Bair->Turn around Spin Attack is one of the best kill setup we have, it can kill in very low percentage (between 80%~ to 110%~ depending on character and distance with the ledge).
Bair to turn around U-tilt works on Fox too. I don't claim that it works on every character lightly. [Greninja is actually more difficult than Fox because with no rage you have to be frame perfect. I haven't tested everyone though.] You just need to input it better i.e. maybe land the Bair closer to the ground and/or maybe do the U-tilt sooner.
And turn around Spin Attack is actually 1 frame faster than turn around U-tilt. Yes, both U-tilt and Up-B hit on frame 8, but with U-tilt you need to turn around first as a separate action whereas with Up-B you can use it backwards directly. So it's actually as fast as a frame perfect turn around Jab (with the Jab you'd probably want to hit the A-stick diagonally to save time, otherwise you'd have to return the joystick to neutral first).
In general then B-reversing your Up-B would probably be the way to go if you're confident about the Bair hitting.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
After reading all these frames on Link's moves, i can 100% agree that Link could use some frame buffs

Mostly on Jab, Nair and possible Bair

:135:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Sounds like you have my luck--when I went to KTAR I ended up in Nairo's pool!
Yea, I tend to have pretty ****ty luck when it comes to pools. Drop Zone, I landed in Silent Wolf's Melee pool.
One nice thing about this situation is that it's round robin pools, and top 3 make it to top 48.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Hm, looks like I'm in Viviff's pool. Round Robin for pools? Sweet.

Also looks like one of the guys in my pool (Tall Guy) was a Link main as of 7 months ago at least.

Last edited:

LakerLink

Smash Cadet

Also looks like one of the guys in my pool (Tall Guy) was a Link main as of 7 months ago at least.
He is still a link main, he ended up putting me in losers this weekend, we had really close matches, he also taught me a lot as far as link meta game goes. It be intresting if you do better then him if so you might have the best Link in WA

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Is there anyone else in your pool that might give you trouble, or is top 48 in the bag?
I've beaten Devin consistently in the past, although the last time I played him, his DK took a couple of games off my Corrin. Didn't pull out the Link though, since I was entering a Melee tourney that day, so we'll see. The other players, aside from Cacogen, I've never played before.

Video of the ness in his pool from 2 days ago: looks like he has trouble approaching so you might be in luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWBLff_FEUA
The Cloud player in that vid. knocked me out of losers. He actually mains Robin. That kid was super loud and annoying. He smelled bad too.

I actually spoke to him a couple of days ago. He told me he wasn't coming to Majors, but I guess he changed his mind, so that's good. Good luck against Viviff, he's really good. Also, we should play some friendlies there!

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I've beaten Devin consistently in the past, although the last time I played him, his DK took a couple of games off my Corrin. Didn't pull out the Link though, since I was entering a Melee tourney that day, so we'll see. The other players, aside from Cacogen, I've never played before.

The Cloud player in that vid. knocked me out of losers. He actually mains Robin. That kid was super loud and annoying. He smelled bad too.

I actually spoke to him a couple of days ago. He told me he wasn't coming to Majors, but I guess he changed his mind, so that's good. Good luck against Viviff, he's really good. Also, we should play some friendlies there!
He's like Oregon's top player right? My friend played against him in Drop Zone and kind of got murdered. Also, Viviff kind of scares me at times with his antics lol. Yeh we should do some friendlies! Also, do you recognize anyone from my pool apart from Viviff?

Top Bottom