• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Be_Mild

Livin' life on the mild side
NNID
BeMild
3DS FC
1676-4317-5374
Is this an awkward time for me to say hi?
Depends, are you gonna make it awkward? :132:

There's a select few the animosity in here is directed at, I assume if you possess basic reading comprehension skills you will quickly learn how to avoid it.

On that note, those who carebear up our boards apparently don't possess said reading skills so I don't understand the need to bash our heads against a wall, it's just social. Ignore the bait, post on and bury it. :smash:

Oh, and welcome to the Link Boards. Do work, contribute wisely, and stuff.

Last edited:

ama99

Smash Journeyman
Is this an awkward time for me to say hi?
No. Just don't post trash like this.

Oh, I don't really play him, I play more Robin and Pit with some Sonic. See, the problem is, I want to play Link. His is one of the only play style that truly fits me. The problem is, I don't like how he feels. His too slow, to heavy and just so sluggish. And if you suggest going to Gay (which i'd imagine you wouldn't) he feels worse than Link. This really is why I just want Young Link back, even if he is a 1:1 version of Sm4sh Link's moves just quicker and weaker. In my head, it would be the perfect character.

Be_Mild

NNID
BeMild
3DS FC
1676-4317-5374
@ The Merc The Merc isn't causing any trouble. Chill guys.
Agreed. It is the social thread afterall. Being social while adhering to the culture on this board can be a fine line. If it's a ****post then just ignore it. However, sometimes a good cleansing is needed. Anyone who's been here long enough knows that nothing is personal. If you're out of line, take your paddlin' and do better.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
See, on my side I love the fact that he's heavy. Link was never a fast character, even in his games (not counting Pegasus Boots since that's an item he acquires). He was always a Tanky kind of character who can take a pretty extensive beating and still keep going. That's how he is in Smash as well. Besides his problems, Sakurai did an incredible job with his take on Link. And he's not as slow once get good with him, trust me.

As for Young Link. I hate to break it to you but Toon Link is the closest you're ever going to have to "Young Link." Wind Waker alone was too much of a success to change even just the persona of Gay to Young Link in Smash.

And by the way, the Young Link you described just now is generally what Gay is.
Well, I am the opposite. I never been a true fan of heavy, slow, tanky characters. I always love speedy, quick characters that can land the first strike (ironic given I main Robin). Though there are a few exceptions to this. One of these is Link. I true just love his play style and his moves, from his Bow to his Dair. The probable is, I really just don't like his slowness. Half the reason why I really love Young Link in Melee. He was literally a smaller, faster, lighter version of Link. Toon Link, on the other hand, is not. Toon Link is a small, light, faster character that happens to share moves with Link. Further more, Sm4sh Toon Link just feels like ****. I don't know what Sakurai did to him, but for some reason, he just feels wrong to play. It might be due to his huge has air mobility nerf (serious, why is his air ability lower than both Fox and Dr. f****** Mario?!), or it could be something else, I don't know, but he just feels wrong.

When Brawl first came out, Wario was easily the most natural fit for me. His moveset and playstyle fit mine absolutely perfectly. My friend, who got me into the tourney scene in the first place, said if I stuck with Wario I had a chance to have success at tourneys if I praciticed with him. I decided I wanted to play a character I loved and chose Link instead (although I had a solid Wario and used him for Link's really bad MUs). He felt awkward for a pretty long time before I got used to his playstyle. It's totally different than other characters'. Playing Link properly has a really high learning curve. If you really want to play Link, you're going to have to commit to it and do work learning how to play him. You can't keep going back and forth with other characters or you'll never really get good with Link because he's quite different from the rest of the cast.
And that's why I am main Robin and Pit. The just seem to fit my style much more than Link does at the moment. But i just really want to play Link. His just so fun to play. But there is just something stopping me from full committing to him.

Kbye, nobody will miss you.

Oh, okay......

@ The Merc The Merc isn't causing any trouble. Chill guys.
Thanks man

I think its good he left. He deserves better. he has never done much to get hate from people.
What do you mean?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well, I am the opposite. I never been a true fan of heavy, slow, tanky characters. I always love speedy, quick characters that can land the first strike (ironic given I main Robin). Though there are a few exceptions to this. One of these is Link. I true just love his play style and his moves, from his Bow to his Dair. The probable is, I really just don't like his slowness. Half the reason why I really love Young Link in Melee. He was literally a smaller, faster, lighter version of Link. Toon Link, on the other hand, is not. Toon Link is a small, light, faster character that happens to share moves with Link. Further more, Sm4sh Toon Link just feels like ****. I don't know what Sakurai did to him, but for some reason, he just feels wrong to play. It might be due to his huge has air mobility nerf (serious, why is his air ability lower than both Fox and Dr. f****** Mario?!), or it could be something else, I don't know, but he just feels wrong.

And that's why I am main Robin and Pit. The just seem to fit my style much more than Link does at the moment. But i just really want to play Link. His just so fun to play. But there is just something stopping me from full committing to him.
Okay... I can kind of see what you're trying to get at with Young Link and Toon Link I think.. But one thing you need to remember is that Toon Link IS the replacement to Young Link. Therefore, if the tables were turned and Young Link was in Smash 4 and NOT Toon Link, then he would be what Toon Link has become now, don't you think?

What I'm saying is Toon Link is spiritually Young Link now, and that's in both Smash AND LoZ. Hopefully, I'm not confusing you. I suggest you give Gay another chance if you really want to use a lighter faster version of Link. You've always been a good poster on the Link Boards so I won't disown you for it if you do decide to use him.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Okay... I can kind of see what you're trying to get at with Young Link and Toon Link I think.. But one thing you need to remember is that Toon Link IS the replacement to Young Link. Therefore, if the tables were turned and Young Link was in Smash 4 and NOT Toon Link, then he would be what Toon Link has become now, don't you think?

What I'm saying is Toon Link is spiritually Young Link now, and that's in both Smash AND LoZ. Hopefully, I'm not confusing you. I suggest you give Gay another chance if you really want to use a lighter faster version of Link. You've always been a good poster on the Link Boards so I won't disown you for it if you do decide to use him.
Yeah, but if the roles were reverse, we would be have this conversation and Young Link would be in the game and.... and....

Edit: rage

*sigh* Being serious here, I am genuinely angry right now and I just don't know what to do. I mean, Toon Link would be the logical choice now I do want to main him, but his air mobility is really holding me back. It's just so bad compared to what it used to be like.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
You will be fine @ The Merc The Merc I promise.

You know, I was gonna let this incident slide but I can't... all the people that decide they wanted to sit at their little desk and play big and go nuts in front of a computer for absolutely no reason, just remember you're on a social forum on the internet. People have the freedom to post whatever the hell they want on this specific forum as long as they're not causing problems. The only people that need to "grow some skin" are the ones who are getting butt hurt over a kid asking legitimate questions. A kid who didn't even deserve all that craziness. If you're an adult, be an adult. Stop acting like 6th grade bullies. That's completely unacceptable. And don't rationalize yourselves with the "do work" quote either. You're on a social forum meant to discuss NOTHING at the competitive level right? So please, tell me how doing work will do absolutely anything to further the social forum, I'd be more than happy to take answers.

Relax and act your goddamn age.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
"You have at last mastered all of the hidden skills. Although I accepted life as the hero, I could not convey the lessons of that life to those who came after. At last, I have eased those regrets. You who have marched through countless foes, each mightier then the last... You who now gaze to the future with vision unclouded... Surely you can restore Hyrule to its stature of yore as the chosen land of the gods. ...Farwell!"
"Go and do not falter, my child!"
IMG_1211.PNG

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You will be fine @ The Merc The Merc I promise.

You know, I was gonna let this incident slide but I can't... all the people that decide they wanted to sit at their little desk and play big and go nuts in front of a computer for absolutely no reason, just remember you're on a social forum on the internet. People have the freedom to post whatever the hell they want on this specific forum as long as they're not causing problems. The only people that need to "grow some skin" are the ones who are getting butt hurt over a kid asking legitimate questions. A kid who didn't even deserve all that craziness. If you're an adult, be an adult. Stop acting like 6th grade bullies. That's completely unacceptable. And don't rationalize yourselves with the "do work" quote either. You're on a social forum meant to discuss NOTHING at the competitive level right? So please, tell me how doing work will do absolutely anything to further the social forum, I'd be more than happy to take answers.

Thanks Phoenix. I'm sorry I lost my cool. I should probable go and edit my post so that the other Links don't get the wrong message. It just frustrates me that Toon Link is so close to the character I want to play, yet just missing something. *sigh*

Anyway, if all else fails, I could always main :4miisword:. He is seriously very fun to play and gives of a play style not far from Link.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Oh my, aren't you the forward one? :nervous:

Thanks Phoenix. I'm sorry I lost my cool. I should probable go and edit my post so that the other Links don't get the wrong message. It just frustrates me that Toon Link is so close to the character I want to play, yet just missing something. *sigh*
Cry me a river

(Sorry guys I'm not into existential crises involving video game characters)

Last edited:

Dark_Link05

Smash Cadet
Well said. This is the reason I hang out in the xat and mostly just lurk the Link boards. The Link mains have proven to have a wealth of information concerning competitive gameplay, and on xat seem to be relatively normal. Something about these boards, however, seem to change the majority of Link mains into overly aggressive, seemingly hate-filled(or at least incredibly disdainful) posters. Ya'll are incredibly loyal and respectful(in comparison to newbies) to the old brawl/melee vets, yet treat almost all new posters with outright scorn. It's actually so fascinating, I've become motivated to try and create a survey to get a feel for what causes this behavior (I'm a social/cognitive psychologist). It's potentially a large enough sample group to be representative of the competitive gaming population... Now if only I could figure how to word the questions...

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGXIYOhqQs

Right... time to do more of that, and some of this, and definitely a bit of that.:troll:
Stay carebare pal, maybe they'll call you their hero eventually.

To anyone else who was actually cool and hung around here, I bid thee farewell and pray you don't waste too much more of your time here.
I know I won't.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
BAHAHAHA!
@ L LoZ-Girl
I must say, I was extremely skeptical of you at first. With you stealing part of my identity within my name, I felt a little bit threatened. However, you have since proved yourself. Keep it up.
Ganondorf gives his compliments, you will make a very good ally, and a very good nemesis. Have a great stay here.

This post is hypocritical to the point. You said so yourself "People have the freedom to post whatever the hell they want ". That is exactly what we are doing. This is the social, and we can say and do whatever we want. We are allowed to tell off any kids as well. They do ask some really stupid questions, and suffice to say, many here are sick of it. Even in this social, of which you say "You're on a social forum meant to discuss NOTHING at the competitive level right?". The point is, kids here all of the time ask stupid questions within this forum, of which they are punished and are to the point of screaming. Furthermore, kids should not be on the internet if they get butthurt over everything. You have to be at least 13 to join this site(As specified of Smashboard's rules). A simple read of the rules would be well within a 13 year olds grasp, of which simple reading will find all of the answers to their questions. Anything below that is just plain stupidity.

However, I agree the assault on @ The Merc The Merc was very much uncalled for, and very hypocritical. I myself am not a Link main(Though I am very well versed with his moveset, playstyle, ect.) yet I am not crucified within the same way. So that truly is a shame.

Also a tip to you Unknown Hero. If you are having a hard time with Gay's aerial mobility. Try mixing up fast falls, with short hops, and long hops, with double jumps. That is just a nickels worth of advice. It is a shame that you are moving to Gay, the pinnacle of stupidity, but you are still welcome with ol' 'Dorf. I can still neuter you if you want as well! For FREE! BAHAHAHAHA!
Well said. This is the reason I hang out in the xat and mostly just lurk the Link boards. The Link mains have proven to have a wealth of information concerning competitive gameplay, and on xat seem to be relatively normal. Something about these boards, however, seem to change the majority of Link mains into overly aggressive, seemingly hate-filled(or at least incredibly disdainful) posters. Ya'll are incredibly loyal and respectful(in comparison to newbies) to the old brawl/melee vets, yet treat almost all new posters with outright scorn. It's actually so fascinating, I've become motivated to try and create a survey to get a feel for what causes this behavior (I'm a social/cognitive psychologist). It's potentially a large enough sample group to be representative of the competitive gaming population... Now if only I could figure how to word the questions...
Kids themselves have done it. They used to plague Link boards, asking and telling extremely useless stories, and questions. There is a reason that you assume a Link on FG is automatically a scrub. This happened long ago in the Brawl ages, and the speculative era of Smash 4. These Links would go as far to talk about messing up their wifi to make laggy matches to win. That all had to stop. This is why many posters here are the way they are, yet do you really blame them? These kids often times don't listen to what we say, constantly scream for advice, and constantly worship people like Izaw(I do not have anything against Izaw, but he is not even a great Link. He has a good Link yes, but he is nowhere near as good as idiots make him out to be). Anyway, these kids don't listen to anything we say, so more action is the way to respond to them. End of story. They only respond to greater action instead of giving helpful advice, so that is what we do.

Furthermore, as to proving yourself. You just need to be a smart poster who plays by the rules of this board. We have seen this just recently with LoZ-Girl joining this board. She proved her worth, and everything with her is great. She has earned our respect.
I myself was welcomed to the board in a similar way. I came to these boards when I was mentally ill due to a huge concussion I had. This effected my muscle memory, hand eye coordination, and it made even thinking hard for a couple of weeks, of which I was plagued by headaches very often. Then I had an allergic reaction to the medicine I had, and I was heavily drugged as well. Yet I was still smart, I proved myself with knowledge albeit my smash skills were heavily hit(I am still recovering a bit from that). I was respectful, and I knew my place. I was perfectly fine in these boards.

These kids have no excuse to not be respectful to the rules in these boards, and to follow our ways, because they are here for a very good reason. Link is a character that a lot of scrubby people use do to his spamming, and with Zelda being a popular series. But this board deserves way better than that with careful, thought provoking discussion and an exchange of ideas. That is what the Link mains want, and what they deserve. Is that really too much to ask for?

Also to comment on Xat. Xat is a safe haven for the great Link mains, and we do get that thought provoking discussion, along with social interaction and matches. The thing with Xat, is that if you are stupid. You get banned. No questions asked. So that is why Xat is the way it is.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
BAHAHAHA!
@ L LoZ-Girl
I must say, I was extremely skeptical of you at first. With you stealing part of my identity within my name, I felt a little bit threatened. However, you have since proved yourself. Keep it up.
Ganondorf gives his compliments, you will make a very good ally, and a very good nemesis. Have a great stay here.

This post is hypocritical to the point. You said so yourself "People have the freedom to post whatever the hell they want ". That is exactly what we are doing. This is the social, and we can say and do whatever we want. We are allowed to tell off any kids as well. They do ask some really stupid questions, and suffice to say, many here are sick of it. Even in this social, of which you say "You're on a social forum meant to discuss NOTHING at the competitive level right?". The point is, kids here all of the time ask stupid questions within this forum, of which they are punished and are to the point of screaming. Furthermore, kids should not be on the internet if they get butthurt over everything. You have to be at least 13 to join this site(As specified of Smashboard's rules). A simple read of the rules would be well within a 13 year olds grasp, of which simple reading will find all of the answers to their questions. Anything below that is just plain stupidity.

However, I agree the assault on @ The Merc The Merc was very much uncalled for, and very hypocritical. I myself am not a Link main(Though I am very well versed with his moveset, playstyle, ect.) yet I am not crucified within the same way. So that truly is a shame.

Also a tip to you Unknown Hero. If you are having a hard time with Gay's aerial mobility. Try mixing up fast falls, with short hops, and long hops, with double jumps. That is just a nickels worth of advice. It is a shame that you are moving to Gay, the pinnacle of stupidity, but you are still welcome with ol' 'Dorf. I can still neuter you if you want as well! For FREE! BAHAHAHAHA!

Kids themselves have done it. They used to plague Link boards, asking and telling extremely useless stories, and questions. There is a reason that you assume a Link on FG is automatically a scrub. This happened long ago in the Brawl ages, and the speculative era of Smash 4. These Links would go as far to talk about messing up their wifi to make laggy matches to win. That all had to stop. This is why many posters here are the way they are, yet do you really blame them? These kids often times don't listen to what we say, constantly scream for advice, and constantly worship people like Izaw(I do not have anything against Izaw, but he is not even a great Link. He has a good Link yes, but he is nowhere near as good as idiots make him out to be). Anyway, these kids don't listen to anything we say, so more action is the way to respond to them. End of story. They only respond to greater action instead of giving helpful advice, so that is what we do.

Furthermore, as to proving yourself. You just need to be a smart poster who plays by the rules of this board. We have seen this just recently with LoZ-Girl joining this board. She proved her worth, and everything with her is great. She has earned our respect.
I myself was welcomed to the board in a similar way. I came to these boards when I was mentally ill due to a huge concussion I had. This effected my muscle memory, hand eye coordination, and it made even thinking hard for a couple of weeks, of which I was plagued by headaches very often. Then I had an allergic reaction to the medicine I had, and I was heavily drugged as well. Yet I was still smart, I proved myself with knowledge albeit my smash skills were heavily hit(I am still recovering a bit from that). I was respectful, and I knew my place. I was perfectly fine in these boards.

These kids have no excuse to not be respectful to the rules in these boards, and to follow our ways, because they are here for a very good reason. Link is a character that a lot of scrubby people use do to his spamming, and with Zelda being a popular series. But this board deserves way better than that with careful, thought provoking discussion and an exchange of ideas. That is what the Link mains want, and what they deserve. Is that really too much to ask for?

Also to comment on Xat. Xat is a safe haven for the great Link mains, and we do get that thought provoking discussion, along with social interaction and matches. The thing with Xat, is that if you are stupid. You get banned. No questions asked. So that is why Xat is the way it is.
Good lord you type alot.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Point of order: absolutely none of the actually new posters to the thread or board have been treated badly. The few members that are continually ragged on here are not new, and those that come in expecting trouble are not "members" and arguably never intended to be such.

This is not to make a judgment on whether or not it's cool to continually rag on the ones that you are referencing. Just saying.

Good lord you type alot.
Yes, it is a notable tendency of many Ganons. We are all about making hard reads, after all.

Edit: Pun intended. Obviously. Pun is always intended.

Last edited:
@ Naroghin Naroghin has it. It's not about age, experience, or past glory. It's about respect and reading and obeying the damned rules. It's about taking the ribbing and accepting that we will call each other, even the vets, on their **** in a heartbeat.

There have been entire pages in this very thread dedicated to old vets ****ting on each other only to shake hands at the end and unite in the joy of putting fire to a new guy's ass when he didn't read the rules.

We're coarse, with each other and everyone else. If you can handle that, welcome.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
:)
The problem I have with Toon Link air mobility is more to do with recovering. It just really doesn't seem to fit his character. Why make a character who is suppose to be faster and lighter than the original yet as the same recovering ability as them? It just doesn't work in my head. Also, sorry to say, I don't think I will be picking up Ganon any time soon. His just to sluggish for me. But his power..... dam, it's strong!

Last edited:

Be_Mild

NNID
BeMild
3DS FC
1676-4317-5374
These are the boards for competitive Links. The circlejerk of pointless opinions, theorycraft, and woes of FG scrubs do not get much respect from those who have repeatedly experienced the real woe of showing up to tournaments with an immediate disadvantage because their character is one they are extremely passionate about but was not constructed to be tournament viable. Now with Sm4sh, Link may be in the closest position he's ever been to viable hence why there is a heavy emphasis on "doing work." We could be a few ATs away from viable. People aren't being banned or infracted for pointless ****posting but again, you are in the forum dedicated to the competitive discussion of our character. It's nothing personal and it shouldn't come as a surprise. Unbeknownst to many, there is an eye-grabbing HEY READ ME FIRST post that carefully outlines the way this board will be ran. Plus it's just annoying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom