• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link and L-Cancelling

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to improve my tech game and one of the things I never do is L-Cancel (except for dair obviously). Are there any moves that don't play well with L-Cancelling? Moves that an L-Cancel wouldn't really help?

Also this is probably a really dumb question but is it possible to speed up recovery on the ground after landing from the "helpless fall" state (i.e. the state after an AD or spin attack)?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
No. L-cancelling has no downside at all. It's best to do it whenever possible. Just work on making it muscle memory then it's absolutely a non-issue after a while. There's never a reason to not do it because doing it is 100% profit. It makes moves less punishable and lets you move into the next action twice as fast. Pretty damn good.

A few ways to get around using it that I use sometimes for different situations are as follows:
Bair can be auto cancelled out of a short hop if you do it fast enough because it ends before you hit the ground (The reason you can double jump Nair or whatever else after it)

Short hop Nair also ends before you land if you don't fast fall.

It's all contingent upon the situation and what you're trying to do though.
You can't L-cancel non-aerial A moves. Special fall state cannot be shortened except by ledge cancelling.

Last edited:

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
You should always L cancel if you ask me. I used to think the same way but when you do it with ever aerial it works more magic than you think. And it'll help with overall movement if you ask me

Top Bottom