• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Limit Break Uses and Strategy

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I guess we don't know yet, but we might be able to Jab into Finishing Touch? Kind of in the same way Ryus can get Shoryuken confirms from Jabs and Dtilts. One thing I am concerned about is whether Cloud will have a lot of kill options pre-limit break. Worst case scenario is we could see Cloud having to charge limit breaks in order to KO at a decent percentage.
I'll go ahead and assume that forward and down smash are gonna be decent kill options pre-Limit Break.

Also, he has three spikes...

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Gonna try SHFF Uair->Finishing Touch, potentially with an air dodge read for a nice early kill.

LB Blade Beam->Fair spike, I feel like there's a chance this could work at specific percents.

Maybe Climhazzard, both hits on a ledge trump for a potential spike. Otherwise offensively it's looking like it'll beat out moves with that range used wisely and can potentially punish those who air dodge the first hit.

Cross Slash looks like it'll be pretty useful for punishing the 1 frame ledge snap vulnerability and landings. It looks like it'll be great for stuffing ledge options and approaches as well. LB Cross Slash seemingly has invincibility on start up so it can maybe challenge moves or be used to escape combos as well.

After he's done charging he goes immediately back into an idol pose, so at high percentages I think it'd be good to keep it right below max so we have the freedom of tossing out blade beams while also having the potential to activate lb and recover from greater distances.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Here's something. Do you think we'll be able to cancel charging into other moves/ rolls? In the same way that Samus, Mewtwo and Lucario can rolls when charging?

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Here's something. Do you think we'll be able to cancel charging into other moves/ rolls? In the same way that Samus, Mewtwo and Lucario can rolls when charging?
More than likely this will be the case. If the Limit takes about 6 seconds to charge, I don't think it would be viable at all if you couldn't cancel it. It's not like Zelda's Phantom where she's stuck in charge, because that takes much less time to charge (still too long), and it's a huge disjointed attack. I'd say expect to be able to cancel it on the go.

Tunewalker

Smash Rookie
I dont think any one has said this yet, but there is 1 Limit Break Missing, Meteor Rain. Also if you think about trying to use Down B when the limit gauge is full for Finishing Touch, it doesnt make sense to use Finishing Touch in the air, the animation just doesnt look like it would work in the air, this is why I think it MAY be possible that the Down B in the Air is where we will see Meteor rain. It is the only other Level 3 Limit Break, and it was always used after Cloud Jumped into the air in the original game. I think it would be cool if BOTH his Level 3 Limit Breaks were put behind the Limit Break Meter, and where he tried to spend it determined which ability he used. Now obviously this is just some speculation as we didnt see Meteor Rain any where in the trailer, but it would be a fun alternative.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I dont think any one has said this yet, but there is 1 Limit Break Missing, Meteor Rain. Also if you think about trying to use Down B when the limit gauge is full for Finishing Touch, it doesnt make sense to use Finishing Touch in the air, the animation just doesnt look like it would work in the air, this is why I think it MAY be possible that the Down B in the Air is where we will see Meteor rain. It is the only other Level 3 Limit Break, and it was always used after Cloud Jumped into the air in the original game. I think it would be cool if BOTH his Level 3 Limit Breaks were put behind the Limit Break Meter, and where he tried to spend it determined which ability he used. Now obviously this is just some speculation as we didnt see Meteor Rain any where in the trailer, but it would be a fun alternative.
I could TOTALLY see him use Meteor Rain in the air.

A sword slash, then three meteors showing up out of nowhere.

IT COULD WORK!

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
One of my main questions about the Limit Breaks at the moment is if Finishing Touch is as powerful as it looks (the whole zoom in+slow down implies it being a near OHKO like Mac's KO Punch), what's the point in using the other Limit Breaks barring, say, LB Climhazzard out of necessity? What advantage do I have of using LB Blade Beam over Finishing Touch for instance? Why would I opt for a good projectile over a move that hits on the same frame but can kill mad early?

As a result, and this is purely a theory, what if each of Cloud's LB attacks used up different amounts of the Limit Gauge? They'd only be usable upon it being filled, but you'd each one would use up different amounts of the gauge. For instance, Finishing Touch would consume the entire gauge but LB Blade Beam and Climhazzard would only consume 1/3 to 1/2 of it, with LB Cross Slash maybe consuming 1/2 to 2/3. Again this is just a theory plucked out the air, but it would definitely justify using all the LB attacks and offer more depth to managing the gauge overall.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
As a result, and this is purely a theory, what if each of Cloud's LB attacks used up different amounts of the Limit Gauge? They'd only be usable upon it being filled, but you'd each one would use up different amounts of the gauge. For instance, Finishing Touch would consume the entire gauge but LB Blade Beam and Climhazzard would only consume 1/3 to 1/2 of it, with LB Cross Slash maybe consuming 1/2 to 2/3. Again this is just a theory plucked out the air, but it would definitely justify using all the LB attacks and offer more depth to managing the gauge overall.
That would make a lot of sense actually.

Another theory that could work is that the Limit Gauge could boost his specials, regardless of whether or not it's full, but get a HUGE boost when it's full compared to when it's almost full.

Top Bottom