• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lightshield>shield on platform?

EnIgma24

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, if you are here i assume that you already know that our character has a bad shield that make us vulnerable against shield pokes especially on platform. So i was wondering why no one use their lightshield more often to cover those legs because shield dropping is available. I thought at first that lightshielding wasn't popular because you have to input a grab before but if you waveland and press z without letting go your stick or l cancel one of your aerial and press z the lightshield appears like the normal one without the grab before and the list can go on forever... Plus even if an attack has more impact on it, shield DI is more effective because you don't have any part uncovered and therefore no risk, which can even help to get the tipper hitbox of shieldrop aerial for marth. So is there really any drawback using it on platform when your oponent is under you? Anyone?

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Full shield vs. lightshield in regards to platforms depends on your goals. You can do it without pressing Z by just lightly pressing L or R. I've seen mew2king use lightshield in order to let himself get pushed forward off of a platform, but that's the only way I can see it being useful.

Lightshield suffers from more shield stun and your shield will suffer more damage. This may not be apparent, but quickly switching to full shield after taking a big hit will let you see what I mean. Sliding forward off of a platform with lightshield is a nice option, though, as you can act immediately out of it with a fast fall waveland or up-air. This is a good option for if you think a spacie might land on the platform and shine you when you lower your shield during a shield drop. Sliding off puts you away from this threat and can let you return to neutral with a positional advantage. You have to be careful not to slide backwards off of a platform though because doing so with your shield up will put you into tumble and you'll likely be punished.

Shield dropping is possible with full shield angled down, which will cover your feet. During shield stun, you have to input left or right so that you don't accidentally roll, then slightly move the stick down one notch. This is a really quick input that lets you block a hit, and in your shield stun frames sort of buffer a shield drop. You can also do it by inputting the shield drop in the diagonal "sweet spot" during shield stun to reduce slide from shield DI, or to prevent rolling after a move with very low shield stun, but a lot of people react to taking a shield hit by pushing their stick all the way to the side and then rolling it down a notch. I personally don't like doing it that way, but whatever works.

Last edited:

EnIgma24

Smash Cadet
Full shield vs. lightshield in regards to platforms depends on your goals. You can do it without pressing Z by just lightly pressing L or R. I've seen mew2king use lightshield in order to let himself get pushed forward off of a platform, but that's the only way I can see it being useful.

Lightshield suffers from more shield stun and your shield will suffer more damage. This may not be apparent, but quickly switching to full shield after taking a big hit will let you see what I mean. Sliding forward off of a platform with lightshield is a nice option, though, as you can act immediately out of it with a fast fall waveland or up-air. This is a good option for if you think a spacie might land on the platform and shine you when you lower your shield during a shield drop. Sliding off puts you away from this threat and can let you return to neutral with a positional advantage. You have to be careful not to slide backwards off of a platform though because doing so with your shield up will put you into tumble and you'll likely be punished.

Shield dropping is possible with full shield angled down, which will cover your feet. During shield stun, you have to input left or right so that you don't accidentally roll, then slightly move the stick down one notch. This is a really quick input that lets you block a hit, and in your shield stun frames sort of buffer a shield drop. You can also do it by inputting the shield drop in the diagonal "sweet spot" during shield stun to reduce slide from shield DI, or to prevent rolling after a move with very low shield stun, but a lot of people react to taking a shield hit by pushing their stick all the way to the side and then rolling it down a notch. I personally don't like doing it that way, but whatever works.
I see, i knew about lightshield sliding on hit and more shield stun but didn't know about more shield damage that's good to know thanks a lot for your big answer.
But do you mean that getting hit will always result to sliding far enough to fall from the platform?

EDIT: Ok it seems like you always slide off the platform every time you get hit on lightshield regardless of shield DIing unless you are already on the the edge of the platform (with perfect shield DI) making shield dropping completely irrevelant with lightshield... Thanks now i understand. As you said sliding forward is the only reliable thing you can get w/ lightshielding on platform. I only tested it against fox aerials though...so maybe against other character it could work out?

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
I see, i knew about lightshield sliding on hit and more shield stun but didn't know about more shield damage that's good to know thanks a lot for your big answer.
But do you mean that getting hit will always result to sliding far enough to fall from the platform?

EDIT: Ok it seems like you always slide off the platform every time you get hit on lightshield regardless of shield DIing unless you are already on the the edge of the platform (with perfect shield DI) making shield dropping completely irrevelant with lightshield... Thanks now i understand. As you said sliding forward is the only reliable thing you can get w/ lightshielding on platform. I only tested it against fox aerials though...so maybe against other character it could work out?
It's just an overwhelmingly common outcome when lightshielding. I'm sure there are times where you won't, but you don't want to position yourself so that you don't. You'll most often be facing your opponent after you get hit and land on a platform, so facing center with your back to the edge and then lightshielding is not a good idea. You'd want to instead tech roll so that their next hit connects to your backside while lightshielding, which will afford you the slide-off.

You can also achieve the slide off with full shield and some shield DI. The end result is the same, though, as the shield gets canceled as soon as you leave the platform.

Top Bottom